Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad P1, optical drive options / battery vs adapter issues

P1/P50/P70 and later specific matters only
Muse

Thinkpad P1, optical drive options / battery vs adapter issues

#1 Post by Muse » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm

I'm just setting up the machine. Has Windows 10 64bit pro on it. Model: 20MD001WUS

I need to install an app via optical drive. I have an external drive, but I'm wondering if there's any way to install an internal drive. Doesn't look like it but I have found that details on the machine are not easy to find.

The other issue:

Apparently the battery isn't swap-able as it is for my T60s and T61. I've been using my T61 without the battery inserted, just keeping it plugged into its adapter, closing the lid to put it asleep when not in use. I keep the battery in the refrigerator. Same with my two T60 machines, which are attached to mini-docks.

This P1, looks like I can't do that... or maybe I can if I remove the battery, don't know. Anyway, if I keep the P1 attached to its adapter, I don't want the battery topping out at 100% and sitting there. That just reduces battery longevity, both the full charge state and the increased heat the battery is subjected to.

In my T6x machines there was a way I could customize the battery charging parameters. Things like stop charging the battery if it reached 60%. I just looked and couldn't find something like that in the P1 settings. Is it there somewhere?

Thanks for help!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

dr_st

Re: Thinkpad P1, optical drive options / battery vs adapter issues

#2 Post by dr_st » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:06 am

Muse wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm
In my T6x machines there was a way I could customize the battery charging parameters. Things like stop charging the battery if it reached 60%. I just looked and couldn't find something like that in the P1 settings. Is it there somewhere?
Install Lenovo Vantage and the charge threshold setting should become available. Not sure you can set it to 60%, it may only have 80% or 100% options (last time I checked on the TP25).
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:29 am

dr_st wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:06 am
Muse wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 pm
Install Lenovo Vantage and the charge threshold setting should become available. Not sure you can set it to 60%, it may only have 80% or 100% options (last time I checked on the TP25).
Lenovo Vantage appears to have been included somehow. Don't remember installing it, pretty sure it was here. There's an icon for it in the taskbar, a big white L on a blue background, unless my color blind eyes are deceiving me.

I love the trackpad, seems like 3x the size of my T61's. The keys are slicker, an so far, I'm finding I have to press harder, not something I can adjust, obviously. I suppose I will adapt to the differences. Scaling is an issue, but again, I'll adapt.

Edit: Aha! I see now that launching LA from that L actually initiates the installation process for it!

Edit2: Seems I have a lot of Windows Updates to do... LA said I didn't have Lenovo Power Management driver installed and that I should do it with Windows Update.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Muse

#4 Post by Muse » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:39 am

Got my battery thresholding set up after multiple Windows Updates and many restarts. Per the "Note" below, I'm currently unplugged to allow the machine's battery to get below the stop charging threshold.
- - - - - - - -
In Lenovo Vantage, under Power/Battery Settings:

Enable battery charging thresholds

My settings:

Start charging when below 40%
Stop charging at 45%

[Checked!] Automatically set the start charging threshold 5 percentage points below the stop charging threshold

Note: Battery Charge Threshold is still not fully active. Please unplug your machine and allow your battery to drain to or below the stop-charging threshold.