Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Travel charger for P1?

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Muse

Travel charger for P1?

#1 Post by Muse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm

The supplied charger for my 3.75lb P1 weighs 13.26oz and is rated at 135 watts. Yeah, the P1 is kind of big and heavy for a travel computer and I'm shopping diligently for a for-me OK travel computer that's smaller and lighter. Meantime, the P1 is my best travel computer but I'd like a lighter charger than the brick + cord that Lenovo supplied. I'm seeing a number of 65 watt USB-C chargers for sale at Amazon. Some are over $100 but some are $25 or even less than $20. They specify that they can be used with a host of devices that accept USB-C charging. Most customers are fairly pleased. Some have complaints. A common complaint is that they can get quite warm, even alarmingly warm/hot. Good ventilation was recommended. A few people, for a cheap model, said their device was destroyed... laptops costing many hundreds.

I'm wondering if a light travel charger makes sense for the P1. These devices usually say they work with Lenovo X1, none specify the P1. But I heard that the P1 is almost exactly the same as the X1 except for not as good graphics, so I figure the 65 watt Chinese made chargers may be OK. This is the one I'm looking at right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4 ... ACGI&psc=1 What do you think?
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Travel charger for P1?

#2 Post by w0qj » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 am

The P1 (2nd Generation) announced ~August 2019 comes with a much smaller AC adapter!
The P1 (1st Generation) has a much bigger AC adapter as a comparison.
There is no way to procure this smaller AC adapter, short of buying this P1 (2nd Gen).

Perhaps it's worth considering to get P1 (2nd Gen) for this purpose!!
;)
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Muse

#4 Post by Muse » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:33 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am
Have a look here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/slim ... an-adapter#/
Thank you! I ordered this and a "perk" as well, an extra USB C2C cable. GaN I hadn't heard of before but my online investigations suggest it's definitely the best way to go for this. This deal looks good too. It'll take a while before I get it, but there's absolutely no hurry. Do you know where they are? Seems they are outside the USA.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 am

The project is owned by a US company (Homing Systems in Burtonsville MD).
But from reading some comments, shipping seems to go through Hong Kong, so production is most likely in China.

Disclaimer: NO proof that the above is correct!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Muse

#6 Post by Muse » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am

It's supposed to arrive this month. It seems quite legit. I posted a question to them just after my donation/order concerning the specs and got a swift email reply, i.e. from SlimQ support. It's smaller, certainly lighter than the other GaN USB-C chargers out there, supports both USB-C and USB-A cables, the cost is competitive. Only downside is that the prongs do not retract, a minor issue.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Muse wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am
It's supposed to arrive this month. It seems quite legit. I posted a question to them just after my donation/order concerning the specs and got a swift email reply, i.e. from SlimQ support. It's smaller, certainly lighter than the other GaN USB-C chargers out there, supports both USB-C and USB-A cables, the cost is competitive. Only downside is that the prongs do not retract, a minor issue.
With a brick that small..I don't know where they would fit the algorithm.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.