Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P52 no sound from speakers but headphone jack works

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
baertracks
Sophomore Member

P52 no sound from speakers but headphone jack works

#1 Post by baertracks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:28 am

I have a P52 (great laptop), but suddenly there is no sound from the internal speakers, although the headphone jack still works. It "feels" like I'm inadvertently turning off the internal speakers somehow, but I cannot figure out where/when/how that happened. I had the same problem several weeks ago and tried multiple "solutions" without satisfaction:
1) The sound troubleshooter just took me to "sound enhancements" to make adjustments (no help)
2) I uninstalled all the sound drivers within device manager and rebooted (no help)
3) I've checked all of the sound adjustment "on-off" switches, but can't find anything that is "off"
4) I've updated drivers using the thinkvantage system updater.
5) I've updated windows 10

Ultimately, the "problem" when it occurred a few weeks ago "fixed itself", but I was never sure what I did (if anything) to fix the problem. Last night the same problem has once again occurred.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? And, if so, how did you fix if?

Thanks!
-FRANK (Baertracks)

baertracks
Sophomore Member

Re: P52 no sound from speakers....

#2 Post by baertracks » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 am

My previous problem with P52 speakers (as noted in the previous posting) eventually resolved itself, although I don't know for sure what fixed the issue. Since that posting the audio has been working fine.

However, a couple of days ago, my speakers suddenly once again stopped working, but with a different set of symptoms:
- No audio comes through the headphone jack
- The speakers do not play audio, but rather emit a cracking "sputtering" noise/beep.
- The short burst of crackling noise repeats regularly at a rhythm of once a second.
- At one point I noticed a strong electrical overheating smell coming from the laptop (top of the keyboard area).

When the overheating smell began, I immediately stop the video, and backup up all my files. Today the laptop is not overheating, but is still without audio. I'm not 100% sure that the audio and overheating are related, but is it possible?

The laptop is under warranty. I've submitted the case to Lenovo support to make a house visit for repair (as covered by premium warranty). However, before going that route I'd appreciate your advice. If there is an "easier fix" for this problem, then I would like to avoid having a repair-person come to my house. I live in a retirement community where access is currently restricted due to the pandemic.

Thanks for any insights and advice that you can provide from your experiences.

FRANK (Baertracks)

baertracks
Sophomore Member

Re: P52 no sound from speakers but headphone jack works

#3 Post by baertracks » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm

I talked with a Lenovo technician today. I played him the "crackling" once-a-second sound that is coming from my speakers. He said that he's never heard that particular sound before. He as also, of course, concerned when I mentioned a over-heating smell. He also indicated that since I was not hearing anything through the headphones (either regular audio or crackling), that that would appear to indicate a problem with the system board rather than with the speakers. So, he's sending me a box to send in the laptop for depot repair.