Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My P1 has problems with the 2 USB A ports (right side)

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Muse

My P1 has problems with the 2 USB A ports (right side)

#1 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:03 am

When I plug a DVD burner into either of those ports I get errors. I've had problems plugging other devices into those ports. It's as if the connection is intermittent, continuity problems. Both of the ports. Seems as though it's hardware, but why both? I haven't contacted Lenovo yet, my machine (a refurb) is way within warranty (Apr. 2022 IIRC). Any take on this? Maybe they'd supply me with Version 2, I have Version 1 acquired about 3 months ago. I'm not looking forward to RMAing it, it's by far my most used machine, am using it now. It has other issues I indulge: A few of the keys can be balky, fortunately keys I don't use very much, i.e. 5 and 6 mostly. Sometimes I have to punch them several times to get the machine to register.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: My P1 has problems with the 2 USB A ports (right side)

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 am

Depending on your warranty, have them come out to replace the motherboard AND the keyboard, or send it in (without SSD) for repair.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:35 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 am
Depending on your warranty, have them come out to replace the motherboard AND the keyboard, or send it in (without SSD) for repair.
I can remove the SSD? I've opened and serviced my T60's several times, maybe my T61 as well (probably). How can I remove the SSD? Can that be done without removing the screws from the bottom? It's not going to negate my warranty coverage if I open it? I realize that I shouldn't be expected to feel comfortable leaving my SSD in there, it does have my very personal information on it. I could delete that info and restore later, but removing the SSD does, I suppose, make sense if it's done easily enough and doesn't negate my warranty coverage. Have you opened a P1 or similar? There used to be (probably still is) extensive help available from Lenovo in opening and servicing the T6x machines. I think I downloaded those videos. Maybe there's something similar for the P1?
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:43 am

They still make HMMs, don't they?

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:39 pm

Muse

#6 Post by Muse » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:43 am
They still make HMMs, don't they?
HMM? Oh, hardware maintenance manual.

Thanks!