Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P43s vs T490 build quality

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
kaanaslan

P43s vs T490 build quality

#1 Post by kaanaslan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:35 pm

Do these both models have the same build quality/marerial? I know T series have been famous with their Lenovo certified build quality but what about the P43? I hope the are the same :)

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: P43s vs T490 build quality

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:56 pm

They share a hardware maintenance manual, probably the only difference between them is the GPU.

OldFong_v2.0

Re: P43s vs T490 build quality

#3 Post by OldFong_v2.0 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:46 am

Same machine. Only difference is the P43s comes with hybrid GPU and a different card than the option GPU on a T490. My P43s came with the following annoying build quality issues:
1) Less than symmetric hinge when viewed from back on one side.
2) Crooked mylar which doesn't fully over DRAM area.
3) Micro scratches on power button (but only noticeable by photo elargement)

Would say build quality is less than the Apple standard of perfection.

Lenovo QC seems to be careless with employees very sloppy and I don't give a s attitude IMO. I kept the machine as they could not promised a new one would be different. I did get a perfect screen with no pixel issues and wanted to avoid any potential bigger nightmares.

The order process and customer service was horrible. Pre-charging 5x and having to beat the company down to honor a price gurantee policy. In fact this also relects poorly on the brand and was the worse part.

Also, going round and round with tech support on the compatiblity of a dock and in the end they were proven wrong and still to save face blamed it on another department for not updating their website.

My next notebook might be a Dell Precision.