Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P53 screen failure - again

P1/P50/P70 and later specific matters only
H-Atkinson
Freshman Member

P53 screen failure - again

#1 Post by H-Atkinson » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 pm

This post is meant to be cautionary to anyone who is going to consider a P53 with the 4k panel. I have had 2 separate units fail due to Lenovo's cost-cutting and obsession with thinness and weight savings. Please be advised.

I have now had 2 P53 units. The 1st arrived, new, as a CTO machine, with a smattering of dead/stuck pixels, on the color green, or just black, along a line about 2/3s of the way up the display. I assumed I just got a faulty panel, filed a warranty claim, received a replacement within weeks, and was happy. I have now had my 2nd unit for a few months, and today, at random, a similar issue began to occur, but this time with white patches, and a smattering of stuck red pixels. I was perplexed. The laptop spends 90% of its time sitting on a desk, and no pressure is ever put on the screen. When it is moved, its in Lenovo's 15" laptop sleeve, and only for short times. Nothing goes into the laptop side of the sleeve besides my P53, so it isnt possible that this could be a pressure-related thing.

Or could it?

In order to keep 1 thickness number for both the 1080p and 4k IPS machines, lenovo uses a super-thin glass-fiber reinforced plastic lid on the back of P53 machines with the 4k IPS panel. The 1080p units get a thicker piece. This is down to the dimensions of the panels in each machine being slightly different. Rather than using magnesium, they cut costs and used a cheap component. This would be a non-issue on the 1080p units as the plastic is thick enough that its structurally sound. Not on the 4k units. Just for fun, I closed the laptop, and placed my Logitech MX Anywhere 2S (a fairly light mouse) on the center of the lid. It depressed enough that not only was the panel contacting keys, it was pusing down on the trackpoint cap (which is off-center on these units, so thats quite a lot of panel flex).

It made me think about if the damage to my 1st unit was really caused by a defect that was unseen, or if it occurred during shipping to how much flex this laptop has. Its already widely known that the chassis are hardly every perfectly flat, as they are large single-pieces of magnesium alloy. This would be fine, with a proper screen support. The 4k IPS units lack this. It is likely during shipping that the flexing of the box when it was picked up or put down could have caused the damage to the screen. This is unacceptable. But what is even more absurd is the fact that my unit has suffered similar damage from extremely light use. Its a mobile workstation. The whole point is that it can be taken places. Mine leaves my desk maybe 1-2 times per week at most.

This is sorely disappointing to me. I've used Thinkpad workstations for years, and have not had any issues like this until I got my P53. Ive owned a T43p, T60p, T61p, W510, W530, T440p, W541, and P51, and not one of them had a single issue. All of those still work, or worked when I sold them. None of them have any damage like this, and all were being taken to and from work every day (more than my P53 moves around by a great amount). The only other real issue that Ive ever had was my T480's thunderbolt port cooking itself, but that fix was easy enough to do on my own as well. Lenovo wants $470 for this screen, if its ordered through their parts portal. Fortunately, my unit is under warranty, and Ive got the keep your drive program, and such, however Id hate for this to happen to anyone out of warranty, or without keep your drive, as its got to be a massive pain in the butt to deal with.

Ill submit a warranty claim when they re-open the phones (3 day wait, woohoo. Love how sales has better hours than support for a 3k+ machine).

Pictures of damage (it shows best on-camera with a black background, but can be seen on any color in person): https://imgur.com/gallery/8OuRf7m
T43p, T61p, T601p, T601 (dead), T601, T60p (Prototype), X230, P53, T480 (In the process of rebuilding)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: P53 screen failure - again

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:52 am

Are those 4K screens Oled by any chance?
If I were you, I'd return it for a full refund and look for a different machine.

Questions:
if you already have two P53s, why not bring one to the office and leave it there, rather than lugging it back and forth?
And why do you want/need your own machine while at work?
Or is your boss/company so cheap that they don't give you a proper desktop/laptop?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

"Computers don't lie, but liars can compute." (Terry Hayes's I Am Pilgrim)

H-Atkinson
Freshman Member

#3 Post by H-Atkinson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Its the IPS not the OLED.

By 2 units, I mean that Ive gone through 2 units. I got one, it was damaged on arrival, I sent it back, and got a replacement unit, which has just had the same failure.
I need at least a Quadro RTX 4000 for some of the CAD and simulations that Im running, and the P53 seemed like the best option for having it mobile. My T480's MX150 (basically a GT1030) cant come close, and the eGPU performance with Quadro cards has not been great from what Ive read.
They dont provide the machines for some reason, its beyond me.
T43p, T61p, T601p, T601 (dead), T601, T60p (Prototype), X230, P53, T480 (In the process of rebuilding)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 am

Time to look for another job...