Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P53 UHD IPS panel failure - again

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
H-Atkinson

P53 UHD IPS panel failure - again

#1 Post by H-Atkinson » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm

This is now the 3rd P53 IPS 4k panel that Ive had fail. The 1st one was screwed up right out of the box with bad backlight bleeding and a group of stuck pixels. I assumed it was shipping damage.

My 2nd P53 (the unit that they replaced the 1st with after an RMA) had a panel began showing lines and white spots ~2/3 of the way up the panel, all of the way across. I sent it in for service, and they replaced the panel.

Now, less than a month after getting it back, the panel has awful backlight bleed along the top edge, and is getting horizontal red lines that show up on black backgrounds (implying that its got a large amount of stuck pixels). This is most certainly *not* physical damage, as the machine has not left my desk, been open or shut, or touched beyond the keyboard since I got it back. Another thing to note is that the bezel was never aligned right after they replaced the panel, but this is the least of my concerns.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Will Lenovo just send me a panel that I can keep until this one completely craps out? I can switch it in myself, I know for sure, as Ive read through the HMM and its nothing beyond my abilities. I cant afford to send the thing in to them at the moment as I need the machine for work. I sold my desktop (which was getting rather old anyways, but in hindsight with how unreliable my P53 has been, this was a stupid decision) since this thing had more power than it graphically. I need it for work, as Im now at home indefinitely, and dont have a backup machine with anything stronger than an MX150.

Thanks.
P1 Gen 5
P52
T25 Anniversary

Many more as well!

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: P53 UHD IPS panel failure - again

#2 Post by w0qj » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Sounds like unfortunately you've bought a "lemon".

Guess it's too late to get a refund?
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

H-Atkinson

Re: P53 UHD IPS panel failure - again

#3 Post by H-Atkinson » Sat May 02, 2020 12:53 am

In all honesty, even if I were offered one, I dont know if I would take it.

There are no good replacements from other manufacturers. Dell and HP's offerings both have cut-down Max-Q GPUs (Lenovo maintains the full-fat Max-P GPUs on the P53 and P73, unlike the previous P*2 gen where only the 17" got full desktop class cards), and manufacturers like Razer and MSI have a history of catastrophically poor quality control (a friend of mine bought a Razer Blade the proceeded to set itself on fire and burned down his bag and trashed the interior of his car).

Im going to phone them on Monday and just ask for a replacement panel. If they send one, Ill just live with the crappy one for as long as possible (until it fails or until I cant stand it) and then swap it myself.

Other than this issue, the machine has been perfect. My online gripe is the lack of a removable battery, which is a feature that really didnt have to get killed.
P1 Gen 5
P52
T25 Anniversary

Many more as well!