Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P50 quirks / troubles under W10

P1/P40/P50/P70 and later specific matters only
wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

P50 quirks / troubles under W10

#1 Post by wujstefan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:18 am

Hello there,

I did a huge technological jump from R600 to P50 lately. Not that I love the P50, it just gives the kick I need :)

The problem is, it does behave... well, weird.

First of all, the system hibernates out of nowhere when under load. This does not seem to be connected with temps, as they are kept in lower 80s. System has been dusted and repased couple of days back. I did not check if the problem occurs with no battery installed, and I think the battery might be a good track. At first I was putting the blame on A/C adapter, but 20,4V it gives is still within limits.

Second thing are the temps - I did some synthetic tests, and they vary deeply between software used. Prime95 could easily produce 95C on CPU, and the clock drops to 2,8GHz staying there during the test, and Orthos test does not exceed 85C with clock fluctuating etween 3,1 and 3,3GHz.

The last thing is the cursor that... just goes off time to time. It simply disappears or stops responding. I did not check it on external mouse though, so this may be a synaptics driver problem.

I'd be grateful for you suggestion, especially with the "hibernate" problem. Maybe I'm looking wrong way and it's completely not in there.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

Delmarco
Sophomore Member

Re: P50 quirks / troubles under W10

#2 Post by Delmarco » Wed May 13, 2020 10:28 pm

Yeah I find my cursor either drifts off to the far right or vanishes off screen momentarily. You can set a cursor finder in the settings. Where you hit the Ctrl key and it pings The cursor location on the screen with a pulsating bullseye. You can also set the cursor to center itself after a moment of not using it.

The other issues you have I’m not sure.
Buried: T41 2379-DJU sxga 1.6Ghz
Cremated: T60 2008-VEP sxga T2500
Sold: T61 8892-02U sxga T7500
Vault: W500 4062-4HU wuxga T9600
Daily: P50 20EQS12M00 UHD i7 6820HQ

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: P50 quirks / troubles under W10

#3 Post by wujstefan » Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 am

Cursor going off turned to be software problem that occured each time this particular software was loaded.

As for hibernate, it was... Lenovo Vantage issue! You need either to turn down the "hibernate at critical power" setting or uninstall Lenovo Vantage. Tried on 2 batteries and 2 PSUs.

As per cursor "drift" I faced it on almost all thinkpads I have used :D
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)