Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P1 connected via HDMI to 4K display but display detects no signal

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Muse

P1 connected via HDMI to 4K display but display detects no signal

#1 Post by Muse » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:24 am

The display is seen by Windows 10 Pro, I have the P1 configured to display on both screens (the laptop's and the TCL 43" 4K display), but the display although set to use HDMI3, does not detect the signal. Windows display settings is at "Duplicate these displays." In Advanced display settings, Display2 is there. In settings, the remote display is set at 30hz. I tried changing it to 60hz and it said it couldn't change it, I may have to have administrator status. Well, I'm the only account and it's an administrator account.

Is there a setting I have to make in the BIOS?

How can I get my laptop to display on my external monitor? Thanks for help!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: P1 connected via HDMI to 4K display but display detects no signal

#2 Post by dr_st » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:31 am

Should work based on what I read on the P1 and the TCL 43" 4K TV.

Make sure you are actually connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV.

Does it work if you try to configure it to "External display only" (laptop screen is off)?

Also, verifying that video drivers are updated wouldn't hurt.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by w0qj » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am

Does the HDMI matter?

There are HDMI cables that are marketed to support 4k displays... not sure if it's "necessary"?
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

Vopu
Freshman Member

#4 Post by Vopu » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:35 am

Hi,
w0qj wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am
There are HDMI cables that are marketed to support 4k displays... not sure if it's "necessary"?

Nope, as far as i know, HDMI cables are standart that supports High or Standart speed and with or without ethernet respectively.
Have you tried another HDMI cable, or same cable with something else to test? Have you checked settings on your tv about external inputs, HDMI setup settings and updated your HDMI connection device list while connected to P1? Depending on model/Gen you should/may have 3 HDMI ports one of which being also ARC , HDMI3 that is. which one are you connected ? I have seen an old article about a second display bug. There was an updated driver for P1 and X1 series specificly for a framerate bug but pulled out by Lenovo as far as i searched.(N2ODR08W) Which has now been super seeded by Lenovo, 26.21.14.3213. What drivers are you running? https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-re ... 060.0.html
You said Win10 sees the monitor but tv detects no signal from P1 right ?, you mean you get blank screen or a no signal message on tv when you select the right input HDMI from tv settings? Keeping P1 connected and tv on with correct HDMI channel selected from set up can you restart your laptop and see if it is detected ? Or switch of /on tv while connected ? Also on Admin account issue , do you have only the driver or also Nvidia controll pannel under programs? Did you try to right click on nvidia and try to run as admin? Maybe you can change external display settings/some other settings from there ?
Vopu

Muse

#5 Post by Muse » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 pm

I was getting "No signal detected" from the external TV/Monitor. Funny thing is for a second or two I got some kind of info when I was doing some things with the laptop. When I say a second or two, I'm not exaggerating. A second may have been the total time. A few words on screen in a corner.

Well, I took a much needed nap and then tested the theory that either the cable is bad or the port on the TV/monitor (TCL 43" 4K).

A different "high speed" HDMI cable swapped for the other one is working, using that same port on the external monitor. Does that mean the other cable "doesn't work?" One would think so, that the cable is defective, or at least not functional in this service. I'll "test" it in a different room, similar display connected to a Blu-ray player. Meantime, I'm up and running with this. I have a crucial project due Thursday, was kinda burned out on trouble shooting because my pretty newish mini-tower W10 64 Pro rig's SSD appears to have died yesterday. Spent the whole day trying to get the machine working. The SSD is seen in the BIOS but when trying to install W10 from a flash drive, Windows doesn't see any drives to install to. I suppose this means the SSD doesn't work any more. Well, maybe I can at least salvage it's data some way or maybe it can be fixed, don't know, meantime I have to focus on getting my project complete this week. Thanks for the help!!!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Vopu
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Vopu » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi , great that it was just the cable :) some devices are picky , some are plain stupid needing you to interract with endless loops of settings and than there is the production standarts of that particular cable company. On an unrelated example: Back in the day, i remember spending hours on an old PS3 HDMI connection. While the connection worked with no problem the fatures did not work. In order to activate controll by tv remote you need HDMI-CEC platform. (consumer electronics controll) Both the tv, ps3 AND the cable needed to support CEC. Tv was sony so swapped the cheap HDMI cable by a well known brand that was discussed/tested to support CEC , job done. Still dont know it was a low quality cable ? Get on with your project for now and please come back for another session for SSD trouble shootin' :D
Vopu

Muse

#7 Post by Muse » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:09 pm

That same cable that wasn't working with this laptop to send video to external display failed to work with a different but same model 43" TCL display and a Blu-ray player, so there's something fishy with that cable. I have 3 others, same manufacturer, all new sealed in plastic. I will test each, obviously, make sure they work. Bought them off Ebay, super cheap $5.49 for 4 of them in Dec. 2018. Never used before today. They look good enough (THICK) and are supposed to be high speed, supporting 4K. :eek:

Recovering from today's obligatory skate, soon to return to the project and hope no more vexing issues arise.

Yes, that SSD, well, gotta get this project done first.