Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad P73

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
IBMfan700

Thinkpad P73

#1 Post by IBMfan700 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Does anyone here own a P73?

How does it compare to earlier 17" Thinkpads such as the P70 and P71?
Is the keyboard of the P73 and P72 narrower compared to that of the P71 and P70 (which I've read somewhere)?

Can you turn off the HDR feature on the P73's screen, or do you have to use it all the time?
Does HDR make it look better or worse? I've seen Youtube reviews which say HDR looks bad on an LCD computer monitor (for gaming).

Pokrzept
Sophomore Member

Re: Thinkpad P73

#2 Post by Pokrzept » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:34 am

I owe one and I will try to help you, at least to some degree.

1. Keyboard. I had an P70 in the past and i own P52&P73 in the present. I must say that for me the feeling of using the keyboard is definitely different. Key caps in the latter models are little bit smaller, and what is most important key travel is also shorter. New keyboard is unnecessarily and unreasonably cramped - there's still plenty of space that could be used to fit regular (old-style) keyboard. For many years full size ThinkPad keyboard had a width of 280-282 mm (depending on keycap shape), in the new revisions of ThinkPad keyboards with numblock, the alphanumeric part has been narrowed to 271 mm. This leads to many mistypes every time when you "jump" from one ThinkPad model to another - this was not the case in the past, what also made thinkpad so special.

2. HDR screen. I cannot verify this on my own since I have "basic" FHD screen in my laptop, but from my experience in the past, HDR function is software-switchable. I do not know what is your laptop use intent, but please reconsider if you need 4K screen - this may lead to a problems with scaling in some applications and will definetly increase battery life (these are my experiences of owning a P70 with a 4K screen). Also if you plan to play games on P73, please check user reviews on reddit/notebookreview - latest generations of Lenovo workstations have significant issues with thermals and noise.
P70 / W530 / W700 and 30 more :roll: