Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station Problem

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Kamartin

ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station Problem

#1 Post by Kamartin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:35 am

I've had my ThinkPad p53s for a few weeks now. It came with the ThinkPad Ultra docking station. Yesterday, I managed to completely remove the lock cylinder when I tried to remove the key after placing the computer on the dock. Now, I can't get the lock cylinder back in. The dock still functions fine, I just can't lock it. I seem to remember reading something about this in the guide that came with the docking station, but I tossed that once I had everything up and running. Does anyone know how to get the lock cylinder back in the dock so that it stays in place and can be used to lock and unlock the laptop?

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station Problem

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:55 am

The documentation for the Ultra Docking Station is available here:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/PD500173

However, I could find nothing describing your problem. Since it has never happened to me with any Thinkpad dock, I suspect it may be a fault of your unit. Since it is just a few weeks old, I suggest contacting support and requesting a replacement under the warranty terms.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

neoneo

Re: ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station Problem

#3 Post by neoneo » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:46 am

I fixed that same issue right after checking this post and looking at the manual. The solution is not in the manual but there are pictures there with the lock and key going in so my brain flashed somehow.

For other lost souls, here's the solution:

You place the key inside the cylinder and you insert them so that the tiny dot on the cylinder aligns with the letter R on the dock (probably Remove). Only then it slides fully in. And you're done.