Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Backspace, 't', 'y', shift keys stopped working.

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Post Reply
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Chandler, AZ

Backspace, 't', 'y', shift keys stopped working.

#1 Post by ts1971 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:56 pm


I have a P70 on which I'm running Ubuntu 22.04. Yesterday I installed whatever updates were queued up and after the required reboot I found that several of the keys (Backspace, 't', 'y', shift) had stopped working. When I say stopped working, I mean that they don't work about 90% of the time. The other 10% they work as expected. My first instinct was obviously to attribute this to something in one of the updates and I am still pursuing that possibility, but now I'm not so sure. If I plug an external USB keyboard in it works fine.

What makes me think that it wasn't something in the software update is that when I google it, there are a lot of forum posts complaining about exactly those keys and those posts are primarily for systems running windows. Despite all of the posts, there don't seem to be any solutions. Just for fun I tried removing the keyboard and reseating the ribbon but that didn't help. If I have to, I'm willing to spend $70 on a new keyboard, but I'd rather not do that if I didn't have to or it's not going to help.

Has anyone run into this? If so, what did you do?


Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 23093
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Loch Garman, Éire

Re: Backspace, 't', 'y', shift keys stopped working.

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:45 am

If indeed plural occurring problems, then I'd consider a manufacturing fault.
Try another brand keyboard.
Choice of (well-known CHY) Chicony or (never heard of DFN) Dafron.
If you normally use English-US keyboards, also look for English-USI (US International).
The only difference is an additional (Euro) symbol on the %5 key.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, M900 Tiny (all with W7/SP1)

Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria

Re: Backspace, 't', 'y', shift keys stopped working.

#3 Post by Bionicman » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:56 am

Hello, I met similar problem on a Lenovo L540 laptop with Win7. The keys do not work at all.
Keys shift, Capslock, backspace, t, y, [, ] stopped working during typing.
As far as I can see no new software has been installed except some new definition of Windows Defender.
This issue can be found across the internet in many different models of Lenovo, and even in one Dell thread.
It's always these same buttons.
I found this thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-C-E ... e=1#375617
Some people have managed to fix their problems to some extend.
I have tried reinstalling devices, drivers, as well as stopping the Intel video hotkeys.
What do you think, is it curable only by keyboard replacement ?
Its curious a certain person managed to fix it at least for some time by cleaning the keyboard cable contacts ..

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad P1/P40/P50/P70 and later Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests