Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P1 Gen 1 and P1 Gen 3 problems, would fresh install of Windows 10 resolve?

P1/P40/P50/P70 Series
Muse

P1 Gen 1 and P1 Gen 3 problems, would fresh install of Windows 10 resolve?

#1 Post by Muse » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm

I have two P1's. The Gen3 lost the ability to come out of suspend, so I use Hibernate when I'm not using it. Neither machine can see any of my Android phones now. The only way I can copy files to one of my android phones using either machine is remove the SD card from a phone, slide it into an adapter and slide that into the machine's card reader. The issue used to be intermittent but now I get persistent message about an INF irregularity when it comes to plugging a phone into the laptop via USB. Reinstalling my Samsung USB driver doesn't resolve the problem The P1 Gen1 now doesn't have the ability to access a HD plugged into it via USB. The Gen 3 machine can't install the Lenovo battery firmware update utility for probably a year and a half, I've given up trying. It says it's installing it and then says the update failed (in any case, I'm unaware of a problem with the battery).

Will doing a fresh install of Windows 10 maybe resolve these issues? Do the machines have a fresh install of windows tucked away? They came with Windows 10 installed, so I figure there's a way to reinstall fresh, but don't know exactly how.

A little Google search came up with means of resetting a Lenovo laptop. TBH I'm not terribly concerned with losing files on the machine. I can copy my attachments and email client and its data before doing so and restore. Otherwise I try to keep all data that matter to me on my Synology NAS. Of course, reinstalling all the apps and utilities on the machines is most of the work. Hopefully, none of that is the root of the problem(s).

Thanks for help with these things!
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: P1 Gen 1 and P1 Gen 3 problems, would fresh install of Windows 10 resolve?

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:01 pm

A clean install could resolve your issues.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:49 pm

Have you tried connecting via USB-C/Thunderbolt?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Muse

#4 Post by Muse » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:47 pm

Yes, I tried connecting via Thunderbolt. My Samsung S9 has USB-C, after all. The issue, at least on the P1 Gen3 I'm typing on right now, appears to involve an INF file. Maybe there's incorrect data in the laptop registry. I got the connectivity working a few times after it had stopped working, but not for many months now. Right now in Device Manager it says no drivers are installed for the device. Running Samsung's driver installer doesn't fix the issue. I think a time or two in the past running that did fix it, but no more.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!