Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can the X120e run a 64 bit linux kernel?

Linux on ThinkPads
Humanoid

Can the X120e run a 64 bit linux kernel?

#1 Post by Humanoid » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm

I've been running a 32 bit linux kernel since I bought this E-350 X120e many years ago. But I want to upgrade to a 64 bit kernel now. Every 64 bit kernel I've tried would crash unless I used the "acpi=off" kernel parameter. Main problem with that is that the kernel can only see one core, and frequency scaling is not available. I've also tried lots of other options like "acpi=ht" and "pci=noacpi", but none of them worked.

Has anybody had success with a 64 bit linux kernel without using "acpi=off"? If so, which kernel version is working?

So far, I've tried kernel versions 3.14, 3.2, 3.1, and 2.6.32. All had the same problem.

I've also tried tracing the problem in 3.14 and figured out that the kernel crashes after an interrupt occurs sometime after the call to acpi_hw_set_mode(ACPI_SYS_MODE_ACPI) in hwacpi.c returns. But that's as far as I got since I don't know how to trace interrupts, so I don't know which interrupt handler crashed.