Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Anyone running Thinkfan with an X230?

Linux on ThinkPads
kennyschiff
Freshman Member

Anyone running Thinkfan with an X230?

#1 Post by kennyschiff » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Am trying to quiet down my Lenovo X230. Am running Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on an i7 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. Steps I've take so far:

1) used compressed air to blow out intake area/fans
2) Updated BIO to latest
3) Changed BISO setting for "Adaptive Thermal Management" to "Balanced."

Most of what I've seen on Thinkfan is for older models and also older versions of Linux.

If you are using Thinkfan on an X230 (with a Debian/Ubuntu variant) would appreciate you sharing your config with me.

tarvoke

Re: Anyone running Thinkfan with an X230?

#2 Post by tarvoke » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:58 pm

hi kennyschiff -

I've used thinkfan in the past on many many various X series and yeah on older OS and older machines it works well although you do have to put in a bit of time setting ranges in the config file. it's a decent enough tool.

I do not have experience with the 230, so apologies if that's a bit of a derail.

I do use my X220t daily, if that helps. and there I've changed from the standard acpi-cpufreq driver to using the Intel pstate driver, and for management using thermald rather than thinkfan. it seems to work pretty well. you still have to do a bit of config to get the cpu speed & fan speed where you want it. just no simple answers, sorries.

I also have just now enabled pstate and thermald on the X2001 emeraldgirl08 recently sold me, and it's really doing the job.

there is a tiny bit of discussion and some links here -
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=117552

I also use Mint Rosa - cheers!
kennyschiff wrote:Am trying to quiet down my Lenovo X230. Am running Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on an i7 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. Steps I've take so far:

1) used compressed air to blow out intake area/fans
2) Updated BIO to latest
3) Changed BISO setting for "Adaptive Thermal Management" to "Balanced."

Most of what I've seen on Thinkfan is for older models and also older versions of Linux.

If you are using Thinkfan on an X230 (with a Debian/Ubuntu variant) would appreciate you sharing your config with me.
go away.