Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

ISP change resulted in internet failure on linux computers.

Linux on ThinkPads
thinkpadcollection

ISP change resulted in internet failure on linux computers.

#1 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:45 pm

This changed when we swapped old (too many reasons, expensive for crappy experience, off kilter DVR once in awhile, slow, old tech and slow) for new ISP and came up with a problem.

What I did check for ethernet data info was compared, (both are auto DHCP), DNS IP addresses of both windows and linux and IPv4 IP is indeed off by 5 on linux and everything else look good (Ethernet connects and reliable, DNS and all the babble obtained). Means the eth0 driver loads fine every time. Windows works fine (confirmed ok with main pc and second windows notebook T420). Yet I did try second linux notebook T410, no luck.

Pinged both routers (ISP's router modem and second router plugged to this as well are ok with linux and windows computers but while on linux ping 8.8.8.8 (google's), will not get anything from destination hosts, yet windows can ping this 8.8.8.8.

*UPDATE*, I had a thought and tried a ping to that ISP's provided router modem that assigned a IPv4 address to this linux computer and got a response.

This is very common problem with linux's saying "server not found" in firefox. Tried some suggestions with no luck.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: ISP change resulted in internet failure on linux computers.

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:39 am

Tried traceroute?
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

thinkpadcollection

Re: ISP change resulted in internet failure on linux computers.

#3 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi, compared windows and linux tracert and tracepath results; Windows winds it's way to the destination. Linux wouldn't make it all way to the ISP server IP and dead ends there, will not make out to the wild. I checked what this last IP was and this is in other city where their main ISP is.

That made me curious how do ISP know which OS is really is?! That is not right way to do.

Never mind, this was a router plugged in wrong way but I rather want it done that way so I can daisy chain it. Working now.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection