Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Optimizations

Linux on ThinkPads
mugenn

Optimizations

#1 Post by mugenn » Sun May 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Knowing the community behind thinkpads, I imagine some people have done some optimizations to improve them software-level. I have an x230 and I'm interested in configs to improve battery life and other aspects of it, so if you have any knowledge on them please share.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Optimizations

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Sun May 13, 2018 3:01 pm

I've found the biggest improvement in battery life that I can do is choice of CPU/GPU and not having too much garbage programs running on my system. For example upgrading from a T7700 to a T9500 really helps on a T61 machine. Along with choosing an Intel GPU, energy efficient SSD and more energy efficient WiFi card. These cumulative hardware efficiency upgrades do help. There's nothing one can do in software to get this hardware improvement. Having said that, having a fresh, clean and mean software install helps too.

Optimizing hardware and software for a given platform helps but doesn't beat upgrading to an architecture that is much more efficient. No matter what I do, there's no way no how I can make my X61, watt per watt, as energy efficient as my X220. The architecture of the X220 is much more efficient.

Dekks

Re: Optimizations

#3 Post by Dekks » Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 am

mugenn wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 2:40 pm
Knowing the community behind thinkpads, I imagine some people have done some optimizations to improve them software-level. I have an x230 and I'm interested in configs to improve battery life and other aspects of it, so if you have any knowledge on them please share.
install tlp checking how to set battery thresholds & run powertop and look at what it suggests, if you have SDD drives only then change scheduler to NOOP, investigate putting tmp files into a RAM disk tmpfs if you have plenty of RAM, consider zwap for starters.
Home Win10/i5 Arch//i3-gaps T61//GNOME 3/X230 Tablet //Spectrwm X61 Bunsenlabs 9.4/X32/X201i
Work - Win7/X220T BunsenLabs 9.4 T60p
Retired T60/X30/X31/X61S RIP R61/T400/T21/T43/X61T/X200T

Return to “Linux Questions”