Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Manjaro Linux with Optimus Graphics.

Linux on ThinkPads
Quardah
Freshman Member

Manjaro Linux with Optimus Graphics.

#1 Post by Quardah » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

Hi folks. I just wanted to let you know that i've switched from Arch to Manjaro (Manjaro i3 community) on my main T540p and there's a specific package for dual GPU architecture in Manjaro Linux (called video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee) and it works perfect. (To have the dGPU dynamically switch off you will have to apply this patch in grub (see my comment at the bottom).

The distro is as fast as a Vanilla Arch installation but the deploy time is much shorter (since 90% of what you would install is preinstalled). All i really did was kill lightdm and dunst.

All in all you get the powerful pacman package manager with a cleaned up distro. It also comes with its own GTK theme with it's mintish green tints here and there, really looks good.

If you have mid-to-old ThinkPads (From W500 to W540 generations) i strongly suggest you give it a try if you run Linux.

That is all just wanted to share.
Daily driver : P16s AMD Gen1 Ryzen 7 6850u Pro - Arch Linux.
HTPC : T540p 3K Screen - i7-4600M - Windows 11.
Have : X120e, X24.
Had : T420 - 240 - IBM i Series type 1171

TonyJZX

Re: Manjaro Linux with Optimus Graphics.

#2 Post by TonyJZX » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Be interesting if this translates to AMD ATI stuff - either of these two companies dont like giving out code to their switchable gfx stuff, even though its past 10yrs on some pcs.

Manjaro somehow came out of nowhere (apparently) to take the crown from Mint Ubuntu etc. - I suspect everyone will implement this soon.

Quardah
Freshman Member

Re: Manjaro Linux with Optimus Graphics.

#3 Post by Quardah » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:37 pm

TonyJZX wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:25 pm
Be interesting if this translates to AMD ATI stuff - either of these two companies dont like giving out code to their switchable gfx stuff, even though its past 10yrs on some pcs.

Manjaro somehow came out of nowhere (apparently) to take the crown from Mint Ubuntu etc. - I suspect everyone will implement this soon.
It also has a package for AMD hybrid graphics. I did not test it personally but my guess is it will work as expected.

Yea Manjaro is a hot new take really. I got used to Pacman on Arch but i got tired of Arch because it lacks adequate support and it takes a while to install manually. Manjaro comes in many organic community-made flavors (i3, cinnamon, KDE and many others) so your ISO of choice will come with 98% stuff you would manually install anyways. (Just remove lightdm lol)

Plus it has its own themes lol.
Daily driver : P16s AMD Gen1 Ryzen 7 6850u Pro - Arch Linux.
HTPC : T540p 3K Screen - i7-4600M - Windows 11.
Have : X120e, X24.
Had : T420 - 240 - IBM i Series type 1171