Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Looking for a devil's advocate: why SHOULDN'T I move to Linux completely ?

Linux on ThinkPads
bayou self

Re: Looking for a devil's advocate: why SHOULDN'T I move to Linux completely ?

#61 Post by bayou self » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 pm

I just purchased the Kindle edition of The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction by William E. Schotts, Jr. I can't get the Kindle reader app to run on Wine. I know you'll say "Just use the Kindle Cloud Reader", but my internet service is spotty. So I'm using W7 to read about the Linux CLI. A bit of irony, wouldn't you say?

decaba

#62 Post by decaba » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm

So I'm using W7 to read about the Linux CLI. A bit of irony, wouldn't you say?
That is ironic! It reminds me, too, that I need to run Adobe Digital Editions in a Windows VM in order to get/read some ebooks with DRM. I also use the VM for iTunes so I can get songs on and off my iPhone without going through contortions. Also, I run the Windows-only Topofusion through Wine. I really like the host distro I'm using, and I'm fine with this setup, but when I re-read the OP's original question, it's pretty clear that I *haven't* moved to Linux completely.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#63 Post by ajkula66 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 pm

decaba wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:45 pm
So I'm using W7 to read about the Linux CLI. A bit of irony, wouldn't you say?
That is ironic! It reminds me, too, that I need to run Adobe Digital Editions in a Windows VM in order to get/read some ebooks with DRM. I also use the VM for iTunes so I can get songs on and off my iPhone without going through contortions. Also, I run the Windows-only Topofusion through Wine. I really like the host distro I'm using, and I'm fine with this setup, but when I re-read the OP's original question, it's pretty clear that I *haven't* moved to Linux completely.
There's no denying that most people - even fairly advanced users which are not a rare sight on this forum - have been holding onto Windows for dear life, myself included. I'm also all-well-aware that in many (most?) corporate surroundings, there really is no alternative to MS' products. How we got to that point is a matter of a different discussion altogether, and that's not one that I'm intent on unleashing in this thread.

Running stuff in VMs or using Wine is not applicable for everyone's needs. I count myself lucky that *my* needs have gotten to be quite modest and can be - at least for the most part (say 90% or so) - met in Linux environment.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

Work in progress: X60T

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

skx
Freshman Member

#64 Post by skx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:07 am

don't know but I am 200% windows independent and never used it since 2008. you don't need windows at all, people still going back and forth between windows and linux are maybe advanced windows users, but not advanced at all in the linux environment. the mandatory change needed is in your head, like the change you need to quit smoking. in professional environment of course I have to use it but I don't do any private stuff on corporate pc's at all.

in the rare occasions I have to install windows like to sell and old PC/laptop (seems to sell better when people see windows on it) it remembers me why I never used windows since 2008. biggest pain in the *** to hunt for all drivers when Linux like Debian installs all in a heartbeat ;)
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stretch
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stretch

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#65 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:14 am

skx wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:07 am
don't know but I am 200% windows independent and never used it since 2008. you don't need windows at all, people still going back and forth between windows and linux are maybe advanced windows users, but not advanced at all in the linux environment.
Fair enough.
the mandatory change needed is in your head, like the change you need to quit smoking.
Oh my I certainly hope that the change to Linux ends up being a much easier process...otherwise I'm stuck with Windows, just like I am with cigarettes... :mrgreen:
in professional environment of course I have to use it but I don't do any private stuff on corporate pc's at all.
That pretty much goes without saying, same here.
in the rare occasions I have to install windows like to sell and old PC/laptop (seems to sell better when people see windows on it) it remembers me why I never used windows since 2008. biggest pain in the *** to hunt for all drivers when Linux like Debian installs all in a heartbeat ;)
Yeah, any PC sells better with Windows installed, no question about that.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

Work in progress: X60T

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

TonyJZX

#66 Post by TonyJZX » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:08 am

It depends on how reliant you are on the windows ecosystem etc. - I did run Linux... or Mint... on a machine that would not reliably run Windows however I remoted into Windows Servers etc. so I wasnt 100% on Linux per se.

I feel like its almost un-necessary to move completely to Linux especially here where we all have multiple laptops... I feel like we've moved beyond a stage where we need to dual boot.

I dont feel like it should be a religious issue where you convert to Microsoft or Linux. If you run Linux for a while and then dont like it, move back to Windows.

You should all have spare machines etc.

skx
Freshman Member

#67 Post by skx » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 pm

I don't know, if you really start using Linux as a power user, being forced to deal with a windows PC feels like being waterboarded by the Trump administration ;) I am now at the stage windows feels like pure mental torture. I avoid it 100% in my private life and try to cope with it in my professional life!
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian Stretch
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian Stretch

Dekks

#68 Post by Dekks » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 am

skx wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 pm
I don't know, if you really start using Linux as a power user, being forced to deal with a windows PC feels like being waterboarded by the Trump administration ;) I am now at the stage windows feels like pure mental torture. I avoid it 100% in my private life and try to cope with it in my professional life!
I've never felt that, it's just another OS.
Home Win10/i5 Arch//i3-gaps T61//GNOME 3/X230 Tablet //Spectrwm X61 Bunsenlabs 9.4/X32/X201i
Work - Win7/X220T BunsenLabs 9.4 T60p
Retired T60/X30/X31/X61S RIP R61/T400/T21/T43/X61T/X200T

Rs125

#69 Post by Rs125 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

I like Linux, because everything works with out fiddling with it. No hunting for model exclusive drivers. Updating is very simple and fast. I don't know how many times I have booted a Windows computer with Linux live USB to troubleshoot problems.

That being said I have a hard time cutting the cord. Windows is like a nice big heavy blanket on a cold night, all cozy on the couch watching TV. Yeah sometimes that thing generates some static electricity and shocks the hell out of you, but you still use it

Maybe if I didn't have to use Windows at work it would make it easier, that and I haven't tried itunes on Linux yet, if that is even possible. :eek:
We got some rules to follow,
That and this, these and those...

T60 T7200 @ 2Ghz 2GB ram W7ult
T43 in progress