Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Who did the 5.0 kernel upgrade

Linux on ThinkPads
whqdz
Freshman Member

Who did the 5.0 kernel upgrade

#1 Post by whqdz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Hello :)

Does anybody did the upgrade to the new 5.0 kernel? I see in the changelog there is some improvements about power management and I would like to get the review of some thinkpad's users about the positif or even the negativ issues they met since they use this new kernel?

tom lightbody

Re: Who did the 5.0 kernel upgrade

#2 Post by tom lightbody » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am

using 5.0.0-rc5 on this x61. No difference noted from 4.*
the way up and the way down are the same (heraclitus)

whqdz
Freshman Member

#3 Post by whqdz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:34 am

Thank you for your reply. I did it for a week and I met no issues about battery, except the fact that the percentage in thhe system tray is not accurate anymore (showing 4hours battery left, both batteries are full and show about +15hours.

TRS-80
Freshman Member

#4 Post by TRS-80 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:25 pm

I drive a lot for work and listen to some Linux podcasts (among others) to pass the time. One of them quoted Linus saying they bumped the major version because he was running out of fingers and toes to count on (previous was 4.19 or something). :D

So it's not a compatibility breaking or major release or anything, just another version bump (with the usual improvements, which are always many, even in a "not major" point release).

I'm on Debian stable, so it'll be a long time before I get to experience any of the goodness. lol

I also remember the podcast discussing some important driver improvements for recent hardware, but I don't recall specifics now as they didn't apply to me (I'm still rocking old T60s).
All good things are Wild and Free.

What is free software and why is it so important for society?

(2019) I am still on the lookout for for T/X60's with Intel graphics (or chassis, displays, parts) to make Libreboot machines out of. Kindly PM me if you are willing to part with anything.