Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Questions on buying a Linux laptop

Linux on ThinkPads
Gowesari

Questions on buying a Linux laptop

#1 Post by Gowesari » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am

Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?

2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?

3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Questions on buying a Linux laptop

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:54 am

Why don't you ask Dell?

I have 4 Thinkpads of various model and vintages that run on my preferred Linux distro. No need to rely on what any manufacturer install. I like that freedom of choice when it comes to Linux.

skx
Sophomore Member

Re: Questions on buying a Linux laptop

#3 Post by skx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:53 am

Gowesari wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:59 am
Say for example I go into a Dell Store and find a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu.

1) is the version of Ubuntu preinstalled the latest version? Or do they use LTS versions?

2) what if I don't want Ubuntu and want Lubuntu instead? What usually happens? Can I offer to bring them a LiveUSB of Lubuntu to install on my purchased laptop? Or does Dell offer different Ubuntu flavors already?

3) and if I install Lubuntu, will there be any issues? Like drivers and such?
If you buy a laptop which comes with a Linux distribution installed by default you have the guarantee that the hardware of your machine is supported by the Linux kernel. Nothing more nothing less.

You buy Thinkpad, and you should be fine to install any Linux distribution. Don't look specifically for a machine with Linux preinstalled. People want it just to avoid paying windows tax to Microsoft.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned