Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Keys above numpad for E/L/T models

Linux on ThinkPads
ununoctium

Keys above numpad for E/L/T models

#1 Post by ununoctium » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi,

I've recently bought an E590 and in general I'm very happy with the device. However, there are two issues with the additional keys above the numpad.

Under a couple of distributions (amongst them Kubuntu 19.04 which I'm using), the backspace key repeats itself when pressed once. As this does not happen with other distros and also not under Win10's recovery console during the install process, I understand it's an Ubuntu/X server/whatever config or software issue

I have a German hardware keyboard layout (QWERTZ) but the keys above the numpad are still =,(,) and backspace. Pressing them with an English software layout givex the expected characters. However, if I switch to the German software layout that fits my hardware layout, the keys give me '(accent),) and = respectively, backspace is working but repeats itself as mentioned above.

Do you have the same issue with the repeating backspace key under Linux?
Can anyone with the same keyboard (does not have to be the German hardware layout) check this:
- switch to German software layout
- press the keys above Numlock
- check if they match the key print =, ( and )

Thanks!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Keys above numpad for E/L/T models

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 pm

Check if yours is really a German keyboard and not e.g. Swiss-German.
Do the same for the keyboard driver/settings.
Check this out: https://support.lenovo.com/gr/en/troubleshoot/lpt000713
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

skx
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by skx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Correct, you can also check normally by the sticker at the bottom side of the keyboard.
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

ununoctium

#4 Post by ununoctium » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your responses.
I did a little analysis and came up with this:
The issue with the German keyboard layout having the wrong keys mapped is exactly the same with a vanilla Win10 install. Installing the "Thinkpad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup" removes the issue and everything works as expected.

Apparently, this is not a hardware issue. Hopefully, the driver package can be migrated to Linux.

Edit:

Strangely, once I had installed the "Thinkpad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup" in a Windows VM, the keys also work in the host OS (Kubuntu).
In case anyone has a similar issue please send me a message and I'll explain in detail.