Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to make trackpont work under linux

Linux on ThinkPads
radiator
Freshman Member

How to make trackpont work under linux

#1 Post by radiator » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:04 am

I have been experimenting with manjaro linux and don't know how to make trackpoint (and scroll button) work under my linux. Evetything works fine except for my scroll button. Can You give a hint what to do?

Saucey

Re: How to make trackpont work under linux

#2 Post by Saucey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:03 am

It has been awhile since I've used Linux, but I believe this is the script I've used in the past.
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s

radiator
Freshman Member

#3 Post by radiator » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:53 am

Thx for Your tip. There is on problem, under mint whn I typed grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg os sayes no such command. I think it is fedora command and under mint there should be sth else but still don't know what. Can You somehow help me with that? A one more thing in grup conf after GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX there are two equal sings (==) and in the egsample there is sth like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="psmouse.proto=bare .... should I leave one equal sign or put it at the end od that line? like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="psmouse.proto=bare= ?

Glitchy

#4 Post by Glitchy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Sorry for bumping old one but libinput does not need any input ... works right out of the box but if you use Manjaro and have issues, try to read Arch Wiki
ThinkPad Frankenpad T25 | ThinkPad X1 Yoga | ThinkPad P71 | ThinkPad T440p | ThinkPad X220 | ThinkPad W520 | IBM ThinkPad T61

skx
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by skx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-thinkpad.conf

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier		"TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
    Driver		"libinput"
    MatchIsPointer	"yes"
    Option		"AccelProfile"	"flat"
    Option		"AccelSpeed"	"-0,3"
EndSection

Code: Select all

xinput --set-prop 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint' 'libinput Accel Profile Enabled' 0, 1
xinput --set-prop 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint' 'libinput Accel Speed' -0.2
this is my fix for having the X220/X230 trackpoint behaving properly under debian buster
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

dmdsoftware

#6 Post by dmdsoftware » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:51 am

There are new issues with trackpoint starting with kernel 4.19 -- hence someone mentioned about buster.

My history: I'm an old-school linux and thinkpad user. Been using linux exclusively on all my thinkpads since 2012. I always use the trackpoint and disable or not use the trackpad whenever possible. I also use the "middle button scroll" functionality that any old-school Thinkpad user would be very aware of.

The issue starting in kernel 4.19 is related to "improvements" for the trackpad. A bunch of driver changes and updates. It is affecting the trackpoint, unfortunately.

But users are affected in different ways, based on what machine they have.

If you have a machine without a trackpad (such as X61 etc) or a machine where you disable the trackpad in the BIOS, you won't be affected at all.

If you have a newer machine, you might notice the trackpad has become a nuisance to your use of the trackpoint. Finger resting and other things are an issue now if your trackpad is not disabled. On systems where the trackpoint buttons are separate from the trackpad, you can disable the trackpad completely with "xinput disable X" where X is the ID of the trackpad. If you are not using the "Synaptics" driver (you use the psmouse driver instead -- since you don't use the trackpad), the trackpad does not show up as an option in the mouse applet, so you can't disable it from there but you can disable it using xinput.

If you have one of those cursed thinkpads where the trackpoint buttons are integrated into the trackpad, you are going to have issues. With finger gestures features in 4.19, they force you to switch to the "Synaptics" drivers to be able to disable the touch area of the trackpad so that you can disable the trackpad accidentally taking your fingers resting on it while using the trackpoint. The issue with being forced to use the Synaptics driver is that the middle button scroll is no longer possible. There is no way to tweak to get this functionality anymore. Also, because of the forced changes for the finger gestures, there is no way to use the non Synamptic driver that provided the ability to enable the middle button scroll unless you can train your fingers to hover over the trackpad, never touching it. Resting your fingers on it will detect it as a click, double click, right, click, etc. If you completely disable the trackpad, you will lose your trackpoint buttons. Some of the Thinkpads with these cursed trackpads have replacement parts to substitute with traditional split button layout. My Carbon Gen2 I had replaced with this fixed trackpad shortly after it was released as an orderable part. However, not all Thinkpads that had this trackpad have such a part, and the part is not interchangeable from other lines. One such Thinkpad, the Helix i7 that I still use daily has this issue. It has no available part with the corrected trackpad, and the trackpads from other models do not have the same cable pinout, so they cannot be used. The only solution, if you are one such user in the same situation as me, is to drop down to an older kernel (< 4.19).

To end off, for those who have not yet discovered the method to enable the middle button scroll, you want to create a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-evdev-trackpoint.conf with the following contents:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "TrackPoint"
MatchProduct "TrackPoint"
MatchDriver "evdev"
Option "EmulateWheel" "1"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection
X62 & X62s & X62T SXGA+ i7 5600u 8-16GB
Helix i7
Carbon X1 i5 UHD
W520 4x-i7
Sony Vaio P799 (8" LED 1600x768)
"Think" Ultrabook i7
LegoThinkpad 11"

in storage:
X131e AMD
X60/X60s, X61/X61s/X61T, T61, T420, X30

past:
X20-X24, 390X

atagunov

#7 Post by atagunov » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Think it "just works" under Ubuntu on X220/T520. Exactly why I'm using Ubuntu. I want things to "just work" :)
X220, 2 *T520

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by MikalE » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Same here. I have tried several distributions, but I just want to use the computer. I don't want to have to work on the operating system to get the computer to do what it was made to do.

Linux still seems to be out in left field as a mainstream O/S and always will be until they get it to run turn-key with business and consumer computers. I don't think it will ever become a turn-key O/S.

If I have to type in 10 lines of code to get something to work as designed, I'll pass. Thank you very much.

It isn't that I can't do it, it's that I don't want to, nor do I think I should have to.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS