Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

P50/PopOS/40A5 dock, dGPU driver issues/ext. monitor not detected after sleep

Linux on ThinkPads
Mop5076

P50/PopOS/40A5 dock, dGPU driver issues/ext. monitor not detected after sleep

#1 Post by Mop5076 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:00 pm

Hi,

I've already posted somewhere else but couldn't find any help. Meanwhile I've done some tests and suspect that I'm having a driver issue.

The problem:

My P50 running PopOS doesn't recognize the external monitor that's plugged into the dock after waking from suspend. My current solution is connecting the display directly to the ThinkPad, but that's not exactly satisfying. Now, I thought I'd give a different distro a try and it turns out display detection works better on Fedora 37. Tbh I have no idea which drivers were used, it seemed to work out of the box. I'd keep Fedora, but I'd need to tinker around some more to get the drivers working correctly, because game performance was rather poor for some reason (dGPU was used). I didn't have much time to investigate, so please excuse my vague descriptions. Does anyone know how I can make the P50 on the dock work with my monitor as intended (on PopOS)? Switching ntegrated/NVIDIA/hybrid mode is supported and working, it's just the display issue.

Thanks!