Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

DS linux on a 760e

Linux on ThinkPads
thedonnybrook

DS linux on a 760e

#1 Post by thedonnybrook » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:04 pm

I am attempting to install darn Linux on an old 760e i have. I have attempted the network install described here. When i get to the part where i have to insert the name server i get stuck. When i ping the name server i get 56 bytes returned, and the ping hangs. I thought that i had the nameserver correct, but i guess i don't. anyone know where i can find a listing of name servers based on isp's and geographical areas, or another way around the problem? I know from ifconfig eth0 that tomsrtbt sees the network card i am using. Also, is there a way for me to update my bios to allow me to boot from a cdrom? thanks

Bob Collins

#2 Post by Bob Collins » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:40 am

I'll take a shot at this.

The name server should be able to be found from another machine on your network, and then point to that one. I have found that all the broadband providers in my area use the modem/router as the name server for your lan. Which of course it reaches upstream to your ISP's name servers.

Can you insert an IP address rather than a name for the nameserver?

You could also see if the install will let you use DHCP for your client. I am not sure about Linux, but I know the FreeBSD install will allow you to define DHCP for your network card and it usually goes great after that.

That last item is your BIOS. You should be able I think to get that from IBM. You may have to go to Lenovo.com to get the download. Also, others here may know of a new BIOS...

Good luck.
Bob
701C, 600X, T22, G4 Powerbook