Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

bootmagic or druid ? please advise

Linux on ThinkPads
samba

bootmagic or druid ? please advise

#1 Post by samba » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:47 pm

I bought partionmagic to shrink the NTFS partition and install suse/fedora linux. I also see bootmagic on my CD. I was wondering whether to install it or go with LINUX boot manager. I think it is called LILO or GRUB. Could some one advise me on using a boot manager ? which one is better ?
Can I use boot magic after I install LINUX. ? Will it be able to recognize all OS automatically?

Thanks

EnsignRicki

#2 Post by EnsignRicki » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:10 pm

I've never used bootmagic so I can't comment on it. I use grub to dual boot windows xp and gentoo on my t42p and it works just fine. Why do you mention druid? Isn't that a disk partitioning tool?

s0larian

#3 Post by s0larian » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:15 pm

Bootmagic is a peace of grap. If you want dualboot linux and XP you could do it with grub. But you can get into some trouble if you use software that changes the MBR, i.e. like IBM Rescue and Recovery.

So my suggestion is using the XP Bootmanager to boot into linux. A guide you can find here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php? ... otsect+lnx

If you don't use gentoo, forget the part about the manual grub installation. Just install your Linux distro into /boot instead of the MBR (a 30-50MB partition for /boot would do it).
T40p 2373-g1g: 1.6 GHz, 1536 MB RAM, 160 GB @ 5400 rpm drive, 64 MB Video, IBM a/b/g II, CD-RW/DVD Combo II, M10 Fan, Ubuntu 8.04