Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Suse 9.1 Personal TP22 and Intel E100

Linux on ThinkPads
Bob Collins

Suse 9.1 Personal TP22 and Intel E100

#1 Post by Bob Collins » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:49 pm

As noted. I am just installing Suse 9.1 on my TP22. The Intel E100 onboard NIC is found but cannot be used. The output of dmesg shows the EEPROM to be corrupted, which I find unlikely, as the card works perfectly under M$ OS. Has anybody got this type of config working and if so, how?

ifconfig shows only the l0 adapter...

Thanks
Bob
Bob
701C, 600X, T22, G4 Powerbook

Bob Collins

#2 Post by Bob Collins » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:48 am

Answering my own question.

It seems I already had Windows 2000 Pro on the TP when I went for the Suse install. Suse had broken the install when trying to resize my E: drive. I use a two partition install for Windows, so I end up with C:, D:, and E: drives.

Suse had wanted to resize and then partion a little differently, it did not work and left me with no swap partition in Linux. So last night I reran the install and had to manually set partition sizes and add an extended partion to complete the install.

For whatever reason, the install went fine and now the Intel E100 card is found and is currently working. I am not sure why the card did not install properly due to no swap, but that seems to be it, or maybe the driver module failed to load due to lack of swap. I have no clue as dmesg never showed anything concrete as to why.

Again, all is working, so I am happy. Also just wanted to post this for posterity as it may help someone in the future.

Bob
Bob
701C, 600X, T22, G4 Powerbook