Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

What thinkpad to buy?

Linux on ThinkPads
Tobias Brox

What thinkpad to buy?

#1 Post by Tobias Brox » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:45 am

I need a new laptop, the primary requirements is that USB, IrDa, PCMCIA, ethernet, WLAN, modem, "suspend to RAM" and stereo output works without any problems at all, under gentoo and 2.6-kernel. I don't like touchpads, but I really like the mouse stick, so I'll probably buy a thinkpad.

So is this possible at all, and what model is it better to buy?

mouse@cheese.storage

#2 Post by mouse@cheese.storage » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:39 am

Not aware of IrDa on Thinkpad(might have missed out that one), but everything else should be there, have read before that concerning the WLAN you better look at the a/b/g IBM one, as that is based on Atheros chip (correct me if spelling is wrong) and that seems to ahve linux drivers developed already, the Intel ones are currently under development so they say, but not sure on quality yet.

Other from that I don't think there are many preferences except for your own.

ian
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#3 Post by ian » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:43 am

If IrDa is what you mean for Infra Red then yes - in fact I can't think of a recent Thinkpad without it...they're very cunning at IBM, and manage to hide the cell so that most people don't think it even exists! For information, my T42 15" has the cell on the front left corner.

As for all the rest (linux stuff) sounds great fun, and it'll probably work too...

As for what model is best, doesn't that rather depend on what you want to do with it? X series are wonderful - if you want to carry it around in your shirt pocket (!) R series are great if you have heavy doors that need to be propped open, T series are just about the best all rounders, but then I'm not at all biased, am I...

Check out the TABOOK on the IBM site ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitu ... tabook.pdf

This has pretty much everything on all models (recent) so you'll find it easier to see exactly what is available...

HTH (as they say in Scotland)
Ian at thinkpads dot com

#4 Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi

Probably best to buy a "p" designation...........

have a look here

http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html[/url]

#5 Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:31 pm

t41p works well with linux.

#6 Post by Guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:34 pm

sorry

url should have been

http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

bfn

stgreek

Re: What thinkpad to buy?

#7 Post by stgreek » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:15 pm

Tobias Brox wrote:I need a new laptop, the primary requirements is that USB, IrDa, PCMCIA, ethernet, WLAN, modem, "suspend to RAM" and stereo output works without any problems at all, under gentoo and 2.6-kernel. I don't like touchpads, but I really like the mouse stick, so I'll probably buy a thinkpad.

So is this possible at all, and what model is it better to buy?
Tobias, I have used more than 10 thinkpads with Gentoo, all have worked with no problems whatsoever. These included laptops from the X2x, T2x, T4x, 600 and 560 series so I can pretty much guarantee that any thinkpad you buy will work. Plus, on the Gentoo forums, you'll find guides on how to easily setup popular machines like the R50 or the T40.

Stavros