Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Hibernate and suspend under Mandrake

Linux on ThinkPads
jmargaglione

Hibernate and suspend under Mandrake

#1 Post by jmargaglione » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:03 pm

Anybody have either suspend or hibernate (suspend-to-disk) working on a T42? I've tried the latest kernels, but no matter what it doesn't work. I can get it to suspend, but I can never get it to come back out of suspend mode. I have to turn the power off and back on just to get any reaction from the machine. Oddly enough I can use the Fn keys to change the screen brightness (light black vs. dark black), and turn Bluetooth on/off.

I've recompiled the kernel to add suspend-to-disk patches, but that didn't help either. The stock kernel doesn't handle a gig of memory -- you need at least 2.6.5, I think, to fix that. Perhaps I can try the Mandrake 10.1 beta, but after blowing away my notebook yesterday to reinstall after Reiserfs ate my Mandrake partition, I'm not in any mood to reinstall anything :)

Chun-Yu
Sophomore Member

#2 Post by Chun-Yu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:53 am

I'm running Gentoo, not Mandrake, but hopefully this still helps. First of all, are you using ACPI or APM? ACPI doesn't work too well (and ACPI suspend b0rks stuff on mine when I unsuspend) so if you are using that, give APM a try. I can reliably suspend and resume my T41 with APM. To get support for > 1 GB of memory, in the kernel configuration go to "Processor type and features" ---> "High Memory Support". The default setting should handle up to 1 GB.

jmargaglione

#3 Post by jmargaglione » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:15 am

I am using both ACPI (for battery monitoring, processor throttling, etc) and APM. When I suspend, I generally do it using KDE's battery panel. I am guessing that it uses ACPI, because on the ACPI configuration tab it has checkboxes for "enable suspend", "enable hibernate", etc.

I am using a Mandrake kernel that supports up to 4GB RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem, although earlier releases of the 2.6.x kernel did not handle suspending to RAM with 1GB RAM, even if you set HIGH_MEM_SUPPORT in the configuration.

When you suspend to RAM/DISK, what apm command are you using?

John

Chun-Yu
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Chun-Yu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:57 pm

I am simply pressing Fn+F4, although "apm -s" works too. However, this probably won't work if you have ACPI, as ACPI takes over everything (read the dmesg output and you can see APM letting ACPI take over. I haven't really tried suspend to disk because I don't really need it.