Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Before I install Ubuntu

Linux on ThinkPads
Torque

Before I install Ubuntu

#1 Post by Torque » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi!

I've been thinking about trying out Ubuntu on my spanking new T60. The plan is to convert to OpenOffice and hopefully get Beryl going for some eyecandy :) I'm an absolute beginner with Linux, so pardon any stupid questions.

The T60 is right out of the box. So the service partition is intact and so is the MBR that allows for entry to the pre-desktop area - at least so I've been told.

1. How do I remove the service partition? I have no real use for it (already made the recovery discs) and I've heard that GRUB will make it impossible to boot on it anyways.

2. Will Ubunti 6.10 have driver support for the hardware? If not, where can one find drivers?

3. Will installing drivers require alot of terminal-work?

4. Anyone here have experience with Beryl?
IBM T60
14,1" (1400x1050), 1,83GHz Core Duo, 64MB X1300
1GB RAM, 100GB 7200 HDD, DVD burner

Leikeze Ajnin

#2 Post by Leikeze Ajnin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:17 pm

1) In the BIOS, you'll need to disable the pre-desktop area if you intend to remove the service partition. Then, when you install Ubuntu, tell the installer you want to repartition the drive. OR you could use one of the graphical partition programs from the Live CD portion of the install media. As I'm not familiar with Ubuntu's installer, I'm not sure how straightforward their interface is (for partitioning).

2) It should have drivers for everything and then some, with the possible exception of either wireless card drivers and/or video card drivers, or technology that's too new. the PCLinuxOS wiki has some decent information on getting hardware working, particularly installing ATI or NVidia drivers.

Since you're wiping and replacing, go ahead and experiment and find out what stuff does. Web pages that describe stuff to be done through the terminal usually tell you exactly what commands you need to run.

I would recommend creating your R&R discs prior to wiping, just so you have them in the event you want them.

Edit: When booting the (K)Ubuntu live CD, I had to add the special boot parameter "noapic" in order to properly boot the 64-bit version on my T-60.
- Tim Healey

mightaswell

#3 Post by mightaswell » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 pm

I have a brand new T60 with the ati x1400 video card. I normally use slackware on my desktops but I thought I would try kubuntu just to see how it was. I installed the newest beta release and everything including the Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card worked out of the box. It even recognized my 1400x1050 screen resolution. I had to edit xorg.conf to get the trackpoint middle button scroll to work. I am going to install slackware -current soon but I was impressed with how well everything worked with kubuntu.

I have never installed ati drivers with linux, I have always used nvidia cards but I plan to tackle that soon too. The vesa driver is adequate for now.

Good luck with trying linux and have fun.

Edit: One thing I haven't tried yet is the modem. I do not know if it will work easily with linux. Luckily for me I don't ever need to use a modem but I will probably try to get it working just to see if it does.
T60

chili555

#4 Post by chili555 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 pm

I have installed Ubuntu on two T23s and, just today installed it on my new T60. I installed a new zippier harddrive so the recovery partition was not an issue. The only two concerns I had were the ATI card and wireless. Wireless was detected on the Live CD as eth1 and I put in my encryption and connected! I read so many stories on the forum about ipw3945 that I was surprised that it was done perfectly.

I installed the fglrx suite from synaptic and logged out and back in and now I have 1680x1050 resolution. I did a very few tweaks I read on Thinkwiki and also installed Automatix. I have about 90 minutes in installation, configuration and fiddling. I really doubt you could install Vista, do all the updates, grab drivers, install media players, office suite, etc. and be fully functionable in 90 minutes.

I love it.

whizkid
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by whizkid » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am

Grub will not make it impossible to boot with the service partition. I have a T60 with an intact service partition.

The ThinkVantage button works to run the diagnostic software, grub lets me select Fedora Core 6 or Windows, and it all works just fine.

AFAIK, Beryl does not yet work on the T60/ATI X1400 (which I have), but people are working on it. The ATI driver does work with 3D games. I've had Doom3 running on mine. Google Earth works great too.
Machine-Project: 750P, 600X, T42, T60, T400, X1 Carbon Touch

Slartibartfas

#6 Post by Slartibartfas » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi!
The partition tool in the Ubuntu installer is quite easy to use. You should boot from the live-cd and then klick on install. The upcoming graphical installation routine will guide you well through all. Ubuntu is a very good choice, there is a huge community on the net which will help you with all problems you might encounter. Rule Number One: Do not give up. When you are new to linux, give yourself one month of time to get used to it. Once you are familiar with it, you will love it and you won´t understand how you could be happy with cra*** windows ;-)
It might be really helpful to have a second pc with internet-connection at hand when installing linux in the case you are not sure what to do with your network card or encounter problems...

greetings
Slarti

Jedacite
Freshman Member

Re: Before I install Ubuntu

#7 Post by Jedacite » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Torque wrote: 1. How do I remove the service partition? I have no real use for it (already made the recovery discs) and I've heard that GRUB will make it impossible to boot on it anyways.
Actually, you can boot into the service partition using Grub, and Ubuntu will set it up automagically for you when it installs itself (if you leave it there.)
Torque wrote: 2. Will Ubunti 6.10 have driver support for the hardware? If not, where can one find drivers?
Everything but Video will work out of the box. It will use the vesa driver by default, you will want to change this to the radeon or ati proprietary driver first.

If I recall, Beryl and Xgl require the radeon driver and not the ATI Proprietary driver but I could be wrong.

ATI Proprietary Install (I'd use Method 1, the ubuntu way)
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
Torque wrote: 3. Will installing drivers require alot of terminal-work?
Beryl might, because I've never got it going under Ubuntu (not saying its hard, I've just never bothered to try.) But up into there at least it shouldn't. Theres only a few required console commands to enter, and even then I'm not sure if they are really required (ie. you can probably do them through the gui.)

I hope this helps you. I run 6.10 but plan to upgrade to the newer one once it becomes available.

Torque

#8 Post by Torque » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:03 am

Thank you very much for your replies :D

I'll give it a go today!
IBM T60
14,1" (1400x1050), 1,83GHz Core Duo, 64MB X1300
1GB RAM, 100GB 7200 HDD, DVD burner

chadwicktr
Freshman Member

#9 Post by chadwicktr » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:33 pm

beryl is working fine on my t60 w/ x1400
T61 LG WSXGA+, 140m, CD2 2.0, Stock 7200.1, 2GB, Thinkpad A/B/G, UWB, DVD-RW, ALPS

kulivontot
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by kulivontot » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:33 pm

beryl also works fine with X1300 (basically same card).

syedj

#11 Post by syedj » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:21 pm

I have been trying to get Beryl working on my T60 with X1400 using Kubuntu for two days now without much luck.

I have tried various HowTo's found on Beryl's Wiki, here are pertinent sections from my xorg.conf:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Generic Video Card"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
        Option      "GARTSize" "64"
        Option      "AGPMode" "4"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
        Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
        Option      "EnablePageFlip" "true"
        Option      "DRI" "true"
        Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        Option      "EXANoOffscreenPixmaps"
        Option      "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option      "AGPFastWrite" "true"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection
Section "DRI"

#Group        "Video"
        Mode         0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

I am constantly running into Beryl problems as follows:

~> beryl-manager
~> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
  Major opcode:  148
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 168
Failed to open device
* Beryl system compatibility check                           *

Detected xserver                                : AIGLX

Checking Display :0 ...

Checking for XComposite extension               : failed

No composite extension
beryl: No composite extension
Failed to open device
Failed to open device
The driver appears to be working fine:

~> fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6334 (8.34.8)

~> glxinfo  | grep dir
direct rendering: Yes
~>

Would you mind either PMing or posting the steps you followed, which driver are you using and relevant sections of your xorg.conf?

Thanks in advance.
“Long you live and high you'll fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.”

kulivontot
Sophomore Member

#12 Post by kulivontot » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:13 pm

on the login screen, did you make sure you select xgl as your default renderer? I made that mistake and it took me awhile to figure it out.

CoffeeBeans
Freshman Member

#13 Post by CoffeeBeans » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:12 pm

mightaswell wrote:It even recognized my 1400x1050 screen resolution. I had to edit xorg.conf to get the trackpoint middle button scroll to work. I am going to install slackware -current soon but I was impressed with how well everything worked with kubuntu.
What did you have to edit in order to get the trackpoint middle button scroll to work?

I've just installed Kubuntu to my T43, as far as I can tell, that is the only thing that's not working.

gastro54

#14 Post by gastro54 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 am

I am running solely Ubuntu on my T60p with XGL-Beryl.

This is the guide I followed
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Inst ... y_with_XGL
HackBook Pro: T60p 2623DDU / 2.0Ghz Core Duo / 1gb / 100gb 7200rpm / FireGL V5200 256mb / 15" FlexView IPS / Atheros AR5BXB6 / JaS 10.4.6 -> 10.4.7 / XBench: 92.50