Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10

Linux on ThinkPads
RedGreen
Freshman Member

#31 Post by RedGreen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:33 am

GomJabbar wrote:
RedGreen wrote:Also, im looking for a way to cut power to my internal (Cingular) WWAN card if anyone has any ideas? Or does anyone know any command that will let me confirm that power is going to the card?
I might, but you never said which card you have. :roll:
This is what is said on my invoice: pt#: 42V9334 SBB WAN:CINGULAR

Other than that I'm not really sure about the specifics. Should I look for anything in particular?
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
-RedGreen
X61s – 7668-CTO, L7500 LV 1.6 GHz, 160GB 5400, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, Intel AGN wifi, Cingular WWAN, 8 cell battery, Ubuntu 7.10

mfbernstein
Sophomore Member

#32 Post by mfbernstein » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:34 am

Is it possible to disable the WWAN card in the BIOS?
Thinkpad X61 (7675) 2.0GHZ/500GB/4GB/XP Pro

GomJabbar

#33 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:43 am

Sorry, I assumed you had a plug in aftermarket card. However, it is quite likely your card is made by Sierra Wireless - although I can't say for sure. The Sierra Wireless AT COMMAND set is in the link below. For some of the commands, you have to enter at!greset and wait about 5 seconds, then you can enter the command you want like at!band=02. If you see something like +PAOE0 appear, you waited too long. Use minicom or something like it to control your wwan adapter. I am doing it successfully with my Sierra Wireless 860 AirCard in Mandriva.

UMTS Modems Supported AT Command Reference PDF
Last edited by GomJabbar on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DKB

RedGreen
Freshman Member

#34 Post by RedGreen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:29 pm

mfbernstein wrote:Is it possible to disable the WWAN card in the BIOS?
In the BIOS there is an option to "Disable the use of the Wireless WAN Device and keep it disabled in the OS environment"

Security > I/O Port Access > Wireless WAN > Disable
bergje wrote: I just checked with powertop and it actually gives the suggestion to put the wireless card in saving mode with the following command :

iwpriv eth1 set_power 5

If i find significant differences in heat i'll let you know ;-)
-Edit-

HTH -
Have you found anything out?

I have been playing with commands trying to figure out what I need use, im assuming:

iwpriv wlan0 set_power 5

But whatever I try I get the message back that set_power is an unknown command. Any ideas?
-RedGreen
X61s – 7668-CTO, L7500 LV 1.6 GHz, 160GB 5400, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, Intel AGN wifi, Cingular WWAN, 8 cell battery, Ubuntu 7.10

bergje

#35 Post by bergje » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:05 am

RedGreen wrote:
bergje wrote: I just checked with powertop and it actually gives the suggestion to put the wireless card in saving mode with the following command :

iwpriv eth1 set_power 5

If i find significant differences in heat i'll let you know ;-)
-Edit-

HTH -
Have you found anything out?

I have been playing with commands trying to figure out what I need use, im assuming:

iwpriv wlan0 set_power 5

But whatever I try I get the message back that set_power is an unknown command. Any ideas?
Well I have found out that it indeed reduces the heat to some degree... Provided you are not doing huge file transfers etc. I think it just sets the timer for when to reduce the power to the wireless card... When doing normal work with some browsing and e-mailing It's no longer uncomfortable to use in my experience.

Regarding the message you got you can simply type 'iwpriv' to get a list of commands you can use on the various interfaces and you can see if stuff changed with 'ifconfig'.

The interfaces have to be enabled to configure them... in my case just typing 'iwpriv' gives me :

~$ iwpriv
lo no private ioctls.
eth0 no private ioctls.
tun0 no private ioctls.
eth1 Available private ioctls :
set_power (8BE0) : set 1 int & get 0
get_power (8BE1) : set 0 & get 80 char
set_mode (8BE2) : set 1 int & get 0
get_mode (8BE3) : set 0 & get 80 char
set_preamble (8BE4) : set 1 int & get 0
get_preamble (8BE5) : set 0 & get 16 char
reset (8BE7) : set 0 int & get 0
monitor (8BE6) : set 2 int & get 0

iwconfig shows :
~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
tun0 no wireless extensions.
eth1 unassociated ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency=nan kHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
Retry limit:15 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:351 Missed beacon:0

and after using the commando as i stated before it states :
Power Management timeout:25ms

Please note that these readouts where done with wifi-card on but not actually using the wireless because I was doing some other stuff over fixed line ;-)

HTH - Bergje
Ronald - X61s, L7300, 2*2048Mb 5300, 120 Gb SSD, Bluetooth, Intel a/b/g. Windows 8.

Tab
Freshman Member

T60p Ubuntu 7.10 questions

#36 Post by Tab » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:42 am

Some questions:

1) Is there a complete guide for setting up the APS for the HD on 7.10? I can only find incomplete/old instructions.

2) The Trackpoint seems to work poorly on the T60p widescreen but not on my T40p and X60t -- is it possible the code isn't handling the widescreen format (or some other thing about the T60p) correctly? How have you set up your Trackpoint on this model?

3) Is there a good guide for setting up multiple monitor support on the T60p's ATI video? I've tried what I've found on the net, but as 1 above, it's not been sufficient, as I've been too swamped to spend hours experimenting.

Thanks for any help!
Own: X60T (AJU, 200GB 7200RPM), T40p (100GB 7200RPM, 2GB, Lin/Win)
Used: 700C, 760, T21, T23, T30, T41p, T43, T60p

bergje

#37 Post by bergje » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:16 am

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing problems with OpenGL on their X61s or other X6x(s). I installed Blender 3d and the moment i 'm done actually rendering something and try to do another action it crashes my x-server and keeps crashing it in a loop.

I'm using a basic Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 32bit install on an X61s with the X3100 integrated intel video card. If anyone knows any links or can shed some light on this problem i'd be highly obliged... Google didn't turn up much unfortunately...

Ciao - Bergje
Ronald - X61s, L7300, 2*2048Mb 5300, 120 Gb SSD, Bluetooth, Intel a/b/g. Windows 8.

bergje

#38 Post by bergje » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am

I'll answer my own question... apparently it's a known issue as can be read here :

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/120834

Let's hope something is done about this quickly... cause it's kinda annoying atm :-).

Ciao -

chi3x10

#39 Post by chi3x10 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 am

Hello,

Got my X61 and installed Ubuntu along with winXP. I am new to linux. I tried to setup "middle mouse button scroll" according to OP's setting. The middle mouse button scroll did work in Firefox however it also trigger the back and forward function in firefox. For example, if I try to scroll down a page by using middle mouse button, the page does get scroll down but it also goes back to previous page :cry:

Does anyone have the same problem too? Please advise.
701C, 240, X23, X41, T42p, X61

bergje

#40 Post by bergje » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:13 am

I had the same side-effect to setting middle-mousebutton for scrolling so i disabled it again. Haven't really had the urge yet to search for a solution... In general i just use up and down on the keypad or PgUp and PgDn. Slightly less functional but good enough.

Regards -

pibach
Sophomore Member

#41 Post by pibach » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:07 am

yes, this is normal and can easily be fixed by about:config (enter this in Firefox address bar) settings:
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action = 0;
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.numlines = 1;

RedGreen
Freshman Member

#42 Post by RedGreen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 am

chi3x10 wrote:Hello,

Got my X61 and installed Ubuntu along with winXP. I am new to linux. I tried to setup "middle mouse button scroll" according to OP's setting. The middle mouse button scroll did work in Firefox however it also trigger the back and forward function in firefox. For example, if I try to scroll down a page by using middle mouse button, the page does get scroll down but it also goes back to previous page :cry:

Does anyone have the same problem too? Please advise.
Another thing you can also do is comment out (in your mouse entry of your xorg.conf):

Code: Select all

#Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
reachable by:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I have done this, as I found it annoying to avoid going back and forth pages.

Edit: I added that to my first post in this thread, as well as instructions on getting Compiz running with Intel X3100 graphics.
-RedGreen

pibach
Sophomore Member

#43 Post by pibach » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm

redgreen, that way you generally lose horizontal scrolling, not only in Firefox. Try the fix I mentioned above. You can still scroll horizontally in all aps.

RedGreen
Freshman Member

#44 Post by RedGreen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:39 am

pibach wrote:redgreen, that way you generally lose horizontal scrolling, not only in Firefox. Try the fix I mentioned above. You can still scroll horizontally in all aps.
Did the fix, that is really helpful. Thanks. I edited my original post.
-RedGreen

aliencam

#45 Post by aliencam » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Hello,
I've been lurking for a few days, got my x61t on thursday afternoon and the first thing i did was wipe the drive and install ubuntu 7.10. (i hate vista at this point). I just wanted to say that this thread has helped more than the rest of the internet combined in getting my computer configured correctly. not even the ubuntu forums are this comprehensive usually. I've been able ot reduce power usage from apx 17W to about 13.6W, giving me about 6 hours of battery life.

but I still have a few issues/questions:
  • I just (a few minutes ago) installed another stick of memory (adding 2gb aftermarket is 1/2 the cost) and when I turned the computer back on, the fan became much louder than it has been. this occured in BIOS as well as while i was in ubuntu (and i have the CPUs stepped down to 800 mhz) how can i make it as quiet as it has been? (the laptop has been totally silent, this is the first time i've ever noticed the fan noise when not booting)

I see people saying screen rotation works out of the box for them, but I can't get it to work at all. how do i set up screen rotation so I can use the tablet without the screen tilting away form me?

Has anyone gotten multitouch (use the pen or your finger) to work with the x61t?

And, regarding powertop, I installed the 64 bit version of Gutsy, and powertop tells me to enable tickless (config_no_hz) in the kernel. I dont want to recompile a kernel, and tickless isn't currently an option in the 64 bit kernel gutsy uses, so is there a way to tell powertop to ignore that notice? i feel like sometimes config_no_hz comes up when I could be doing something else to decrease power usage.
thank you
-aliencam

pibach
Sophomore Member

#46 Post by pibach » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Power consumption: I got my x61t down to 7,8 Watt on an idle desktop and 10% brightness

Fan: go to packet manager an look for TP fancontrol. There is something similar for Vista as well.

Rotation: xrandr -orientation left does that, however the digitizer then gets out of position... (there are several other posts for this, check thinkwiki for example)

Shade
Freshman Member

#47 Post by Shade » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:45 am

I've download ubuntu from ubuntu.com (prox. 700 MB), and I don't understand how all the new graphic stuff in 7.10 can be on only a CD???? Is it just me or?..
What is the Gutsy Gibbon and Kubuntu?.. And wich exact version of Ubuntu do I have?.. Is it with all the candy or..?

Could somebody tell me the difference?
T60 14.1", 1.83 Ghz T5600, 3Gb RAM, ATI x1400,
100gb 7K2 rpm, 2007-FUG

Windows XP

RedGreen
Freshman Member

#48 Post by RedGreen » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:32 am

LordCyber wrote:I've download ubuntu from ubuntu.com (prox. 700 MB), and I don't understand how all the new graphic stuff in 7.10 can be on only a CD???? Is it just me or?..
What is the Gutsy Gibbon and Kubuntu?.. And wich exact version of Ubuntu do I have?.. Is it with all the candy or..?

Could somebody tell me the difference?
You have Ubuntu in its entirety in that CD/ISO, in all its shiny orange goodness.

The difference with Ubuntu 7.10 and Kubuntu 7.10 is the window manager they use. Ubuntu uses Gnome, and Kubuntu uses KDE.

One definition
window manager: "A program that controls the size, placement, and operation of windows on the workspace. The window manager includes the functional window frames that surround each window object and may include a separate Menu for the workspace."

If your interested you can find more info at either of there sites:
Gnome: http://www.gnome.org/
KDE: http://www.kde.org/

I have always used Gnome myself, but with KDE 4.0 being released really soon I plan to give it a try.
-RedGreen

aliencam

#49 Post by aliencam » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:11 pm

I wanted to post something else I found:

when i switched to swiftfox & swiftdove instead of firefox & thunderbird (I would recommend everyone do this, those are builds optimized for certain CPU architecture and are much faster) I had a problem where every time i released the middle mouse button after scrolling, it would either open the last link clicked in a new tab, or try to open a new tab with whatever text had been highlighted last (resulting in an "error: the URL type cannot be loaded" every single time i scrolled on a page)

in about:config at these values
middlemouse.contentLoadURL "true"
middlemouse.openNewWindow "true"
middlemouse.paste "true"

I changed them all to false, and it got rid of that behavior. middle mouse clicking a link still opens that link in a new tab, but I didn't get all the unwanted stuff.

pibach
Sophomore Member

#50 Post by pibach » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 pm

aliencam wrote:I had a problem where every time i released the middle mouse button after scrolling, it would either open the last link clicked in a new tab
This indicates you have not set a timeout value after which middleclick will be ignored. Checkout thinkwiki for more: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_co ... TrackPoint

lightweight
Sophomore Member

#51 Post by lightweight » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:18 am

(I use Debian but Ubuntu is just hacked up Debian.)
I just (a few minutes ago) installed another stick of memory (adding 2gb aftermarket is 1/2 the cost) and when I turned the computer back on, the fan became much louder than it has been. this occured in BIOS as well as while i was in ubuntu (and i have the CPUs stepped down to 800 mhz) how can i make it as quiet as it has been? (the laptop has been totally silent, this is the first time i've ever noticed the fan noise when not booting)
Assuming # lsmod | grep thinkpad return thinkpad_acpi, as root (enter after each line)

perl -pi -e 's/$/ fan_control=1/' /etc/modprobe.d/ibm_acpi.modprobe
modprobe -r thinkpad_acpi
^-r^^
echo level 1 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
Replace level 1 as needed. Higher is faster/louder.
And, regarding powertop, I installed the 64 bit version of Gutsy, and powertop tells me to enable tickless (config_no_hz) in the kernel. I dont want to recompile a kernel, and tickless isn't currently an option in the 64 bit kernel gutsy uses, so is there a way to tell powertop to ignore that notice? i feel like sometimes config_no_hz comes up when I could be doing something else to decrease power usage.
CONFIG_NO_HZ should not be used with 64 bit and is disabled by default by Debian developers and just about everyone. This is true of CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS as well.

You should just apt-get the 686 kernel. This has lower power consumption and has the above flags (as well as all of Powertop's suggested flags) set by default in the Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) tree. With 686, I am under 10 watts on my box running Compiz and with wireless, I [censored] you not, while I always have at least a watt more with amd64/x_64. I have been unplugged for about two hours already:

Wakeups-from-idle per second : 84.2    interval: 10.0s
Power usage (ACPI estimate): 9.6W (5.1 hours) (long term: 9.2W,/5.3h) 
Here's my alias for these situations. You could place this in your .bashrc or .bash_alias for root, then call from your toor user with maxbat. Or stick sudos in there. Replace the relevant lines with your wireless card as necessary:

alias maxbat='ifconfig eth0 down; /etc/init.d/sysklogd stop; modprobe -r firewire_ohci uhci_hcd pcmcia && modprobe -r yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic firewire_sbp2 rfcomm 2c_i801 ehci_hcd; /bin/echo min_power > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/link_power_management_policy; /bin/echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings; /bin/echo 5 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl4965/0000\:03\:00.0/power_level; rmmod ipw2200; modprobe -r thinkpad_acpi; xbacklight -set 18; hdparm -B 1 -S 24 /dev/sda; echo 1> /dev/dsp; iwpriv wlan0 set_power 5'
Good luck.
Have: x60s ultralight 1705-CTO, Debian SiD, Linux 2.6.25-2 | x61s ultralight 7668-CTO, Debian SiD/Experimental, Linux 2.6.27-git5 | Model M 1391401, white label, 07-17-91
Had: x22, Debian Testing/SiD, Linux 2.6.18-22

eyestrain
Sophomore Member

#52 Post by eyestrain » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:26 pm

Anyone undervolted their CPU under (K/X/G)Ubuntu?

I'm thinking of something like NHC, for Linux. But something used/tested by enough people that it could be trusted.

With NHC under Windows XP, I've undervolted from 1.2 down to 1.025 V, for a significant temp decrease.

Thanks azimi3 for that Fan Control link. Looks interesting that it can do .1 second bursts, I guess to compensate for the lack of a truly low fan speed. I'm on Windows for now, but if there's a trustworthy undervolting program, may try to make the switch.
Moved to Chrome OS, so... SK-8855 USB Keyboard

eyestrain
Sophomore Member

#53 Post by eyestrain » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:36 am

Tried that fan control. The short bursts sounded like a nice idea, and sure enough, it doesn't have time to reach full speed. But, the intermittent noises drive me crazy. And don't even do much cooling.

Forgetting the bursts, the settings can't be made aggressive enough for me. I'm willing to take some risk since can't stand noise, so have NHC (in Windows) set to turn on low at 78, and off at 70. Websurfing, undervolted and in a cool room, fan doesn't turn on often.
Moved to Chrome OS, so... SK-8855 USB Keyboard