Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Intel graphics and dual screen? (T61)

Linux on ThinkPads
jamesqf
Freshman Member

Intel graphics and dual screen? (T61)

#1 Post by jamesqf » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Has anyone with the Intel graphics gotten dual-screen mode to work?

I'm considering buying a T61. I have a T60 with the Intel 945 graphics at work, but I've never been able to get dual-screen mode to work on it. (I don't know if it's a hardware problem, or just that the company's internal version of Linux is somewhat behind the curve on hardware support.)

Also, if you have a T61 with either Intel or Nvidia graphics, could you comment on power use, and whether the fan runs on an unloaded system?

Thanks,
James

itzcoolz

#2 Post by itzcoolz » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:15 pm

to give full disclosure, i am a linux noob, but that should also be an encouragement because i have gotten it to work!

i don't know what distribution you use, but if you use Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy), it includes a multiple monitor setup manager.

it works decently, but my dock gets it confused and glitchy sometimes (because i think it gets confused with the three displays: laptop lcd, analog, and dvi).

i am running a z61t with a GMA 950 integrated card.

Volker

#3 Post by Volker » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:38 am

Last time I checked the T61 intel X3100 driver did not support that feature, but it is planned. Using the external output alone (for presentations) works fine, you have to reboot with the external monitor plugged in.

jamesqf
Freshman Member

#4 Post by jamesqf » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. I would probably use SuSe or Fedora distribution, since Ubuntu seems to be about making it "easy" or Windoze-like for normal users, which I find very difficult to deal with. I'm definitely not normal :-)

How about power/heat? That's a big concern: having to listen to a fan run all the time gets on my nerves.

I will of course be recompiling the kernel for power saving, and using PowerTop to optimize things, but that hasn't helped much on a T60p with ATI graphics.

corsac

Re: Intel graphics and dual screen? (T61)

#5 Post by corsac » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 am

jamesqf wrote:Has anyone with the Intel graphics gotten dual-screen mode to work?
It's just straightforward with X3100, Just use xrandr.

bergje

#6 Post by bergje » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:54 am

I disagree it's not THAT straight-forward... Sure it is if you just want to clone or extend your desktop... However true multil-head meaning 2 distinct desktops (which is the way i prefer it) is far from straightforward. Thusfar i've spend a few hours trying to configure it and i've not yet been succesful.

With 2 distinct desktops i mean 2 desktops with the bar's on top and bottom of the screen. Unable to drag from one desktop to the other, they are truelly distinct. I would really appreciate if anyone using the intel x3100 (!!!!, since this is not a problem for ati with new drivers or nvidia) who has this feature working could give some pointers...

Regards
Ronald - X61s, L7300, 2*2048Mb 5300, 120 Gb SSD, Bluetooth, Intel a/b/g. Windows 8.

aerials

#7 Post by aerials » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:04 pm

corsac wrote:It's just straightforward with X3100, Just use xrandr.
Problem with xrandr is, that it only changes the resolution & screen settings dynamically. After you restart X, your back to what's defined in your xorg.conf. I have yet to figure out, how to tell X via xorg.conf that I want a dualscreen setup (not multi-head as bergje, just two screens).

Until I get that to work, I made a script which gets me what I want via xrandr depending on the lid state (closed -> dualscreen). But that's not too elegant and everytime I want to watch a movie in totem in fullscreen mode, all xrandr settings crash and I'm back to normal...

corsac

#8 Post by corsac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:06 am

bergje wrote:I disagree it's not THAT straight-forward... Sure it is if you just want to clone or extend your desktop... However true multil-head meaning 2 distinct desktops (which is the way i prefer it) is far from straightforward. Thusfar i've spend a few hours trying to configure it and i've not yet been succesful.

With 2 distinct desktops i mean 2 desktops with the bar's on top and bottom of the screen. Unable to drag from one desktop to the other, they are truelly distinct. I would really appreciate if anyone using the intel x3100 (!!!!, since this is not a problem for ati with new drivers or nvidia) who has this feature working could give some pointers...

Regards
This is a randr 1,2 problem. Non xinerama dual head is gone.

corsac

#9 Post by corsac » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:07 am

aerials wrote:
corsac wrote:It's just straightforward with X3100, Just use xrandr.
Problem with xrandr is, that it only changes the resolution & screen settings dynamically. After you restart X, your back to what's defined in your xorg.conf. I have yet to figure out, how to tell X via xorg.conf that I want a dualscreen setup (not multi-head as bergje, just two screens).
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html