Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

linux computer stealing ip from windows computer

Linux on ThinkPads
mightaswell

linux computer stealing ip from windows computer

#1 Post by mightaswell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:39 pm

I have a T60 running slackware 12 with an intel 3945 wireless card and the ipw3945 driver. Same problem exists with the iwl3945 driver. When I connect to the local wireless network dhclient steals the ip from a windows computer that has its ip configured statically. There is still several unused ips available for it to have but it doesn't connect to those. I don't know a lot about networking but I have been doing a lot of research and question asking about this but no one seems to have any idea about the problem. The problem didn't used to happen with the same configuration. I have even formated and reinstalled the operation system to no avail. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
T60

TMF

#2 Post by TMF » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 pm

The problem is probably not your computer, but misconfigured dhcp server or person who uses this static IP. Contact with your administrator or give me more information about your dhcp server configuration.

dongery

#3 Post by dongery » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 am

i actually just fixed this today. what you need to do is go into the AP and configure the DHCP server to assign the IP you wish to one or both computers by their mac address. This way every time they connect they will get the same IP no matter what order they connect.

tylerwylie

#4 Post by tylerwylie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 am

Samuel Adams wrote:The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#5 Post by Harryc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 am

If yoiu assign a static IP to the slackware machine that is outside of the range of the DHCP serer this will also fix the issue.