Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Unable to connect on wireless

Performance, hardware, software, general buying and gaming discussion..
norricorp

Unable to connect on wireless

#1 Post by norricorp » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:00 am

I have a T41 with a 2100 3B wireless adapator. I used to be able to connect to my wireless router which has WPA set with no problems. I noticed that if I was connecting to a public hotspot I would be able to connect in about 10% of the attempts. So, using softwareinstaller, I decided to upgrade my drivers and bios (this may have been a mistake). This was a disaster with the machine unable to start. I managed to roll back the wireless drivers and the machine run normally but I was unable to connect to anything. This is also the case with the home access point too.

An old PC using a 3Com card is able to connect to my home access point.

My current set up is
BIOS update 3.16
Intel PRO Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adaptor 1.2.4.35
Intel PRO Set 7.10.0000
Intel Sebring API 1.07.0000
Access Connections 3.81

As I can connect with another PC, I do not believe it the access point that is the problem.
When I connect via access connections, it fails on "Connecting to wireless access point" and "Waiting for IP configuration".
I have switched off the zero wirless configuration service as per previous posts.

I am stuck. I would like wireless to work. Reinstalling the system would be a pain.

GomJabbar

#2 Post by GomJabbar » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:09 am

You said you rolled back the drivers, yet the driver you list is the latest one AFAIK.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Uninstall Access Connections. Also uninstall the Intel Pro Set/Wireless Software. Then go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager, and click on + sign next to Network adapters. Right click on Intel PRO/Wireless 2100B Network Connection and uninstall.

Now reboot. When Found Hardware Wizard pops up, click on cancel.

Right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DRIVERS\1rwc88ww\. Click on Setup.exe and install Intel Proset Software and drivers. Then reboot.

Right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DRIVERS\78cn12ww\. Click on Setup.exe and install ThinkVantage Access Connections.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not see the folders 1rwc88ww and/or 78cn12ww mentioned above, then go to this site and download the Access Connections software (file 78cn12ww.exe). Then go to this site and download the Intel Wireless 2100B drivers and software (file 1rwc88ww.exe).

Next right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DownloadDirector, and double click on the file 1rwc88ww.exe to execute the file, then follow the wizard. Pay attention to where the files are saved to. Then again right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DownloadDirector, and double click on the file 78cn12ww.exe to execute the file, then follow the wizard.

Now right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLLANINT\. Click on Setup.exe and install Intel Proset Software and drivers. Note, folder name WLLANINT may be slightly different. You can double click on the IBMTPI.XML file in the folder to verify you have the correct folder for the Intel 2100B.

Reboot.

Finally right click on Start, choose Explore, and navigate to C:\DRIVERS\W2K\ACCON\. Click on Setup.exe and install ThinkVantage Access Connections.
DKB

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by jdhurst » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:09 pm

The 2100B card with original drivers does *not* work in my experience. Sanity demands throwing it in the garbage and purchasing a better card (IBM Atheros card, or Intel 2200BG card with newest drivers). These are known to work. ... JD Hurst

norricorp

#4 Post by norricorp » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:06 am

Apologies for being a liitle vague.
When I upgraded in July, the machine would barely reboot, so rolled back then.
Could not then connect to hotspot and have at last got round to connecting wirelessly at home. It no longer works though when I first bought the T41 last year it did connect.
So I thought this week that I would upgrade drivers again. So the list I gave earlier is the current set up with the latest drivers.

norricorp

#5 Post by norricorp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:20 am

Both Access Connections and the Intel Pro Set/Wireless Software are not on my remove software list. I do have an Intel Pro Set for wired connections but I definiely do not want to remove that. I do have the Sebring API and network adaptors and drivers.
Not sure why access connections are not on the list - that is strange.

norricorp

#6 Post by norricorp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:38 am

JD - thanks for the advice of chucking the whole lot. The problem is that it did work with the original drivers. Its only the updated drivers that do not work.
I am wondering whether to use an external 3COM PC card that I have. I would just rather use the kit that came with the PC

jdhurst
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by jdhurst » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:46 am

It is a fairly easy job to replace the card. Get a newer card (I truly prefer the IBM Atheros card), the drivers for it, and Access Connections 3.81. Uninstall the old card. Remove the keyboard (easy), remove the palmrest (fairly easy), change the card, restart and install it.

I did that, and never looked back. The IBM card with a Netopia wireless router is rock solid.
... JD Hurst