Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Some pictures of my T60p [Warning: 8 images]

LARGE picture files allowed here. Those with slow connections, beware!!! do NOT go here on your PDA or Cell Phone!
pundit

Some pictures of my T60p [Warning: 8 images]

#1 Post by pundit » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Since everyone likes pictures, here are a few of the T60p. Before you go, "but that's not how pictures are taken," pause and take a moment to consider that I might have been in a hurry and worked with available lighting. I am entirely capable of taking a half-decent picture or two.

Now, onto what you're waiting for.

1. Here's our closed, bulky little friend.

2. It feels so much slimmer when open, because a bulk of the thickness is in the screen half. Plus, I'm actually casually moving it around by holding the screen. Never dared to do that before.

3. Said screen is also gorgeous and bright, no matter what your viewing angle is. I am very impressed. But ATI (and their non-existent Linux drivers for the v5200) is evil.

4. Here's a recap of the ports on the left. (My exposure settings leave much to be desired.)

5. Lather, rinse and repeat for the right.

6. The much talked-about keyboard. Which is supposedly a cool NMB.

7. The bright, vivid and generally awesome screen again running a new-fangled photo management application.

8. The working of the cheesy, even if functional night-light for the three people in the crowd who can't type.

Here are many more of my images (not of the T60p)
Happily picks up his three grand; unhappily hands it over to another company.

chubes
Freshman Member

#2 Post by chubes » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:17 pm

Well, that is a surprisingly welcoming sight! Finally some good pictures and most importantly: a great choice for an operating system.

With that being said, give me your impressions of the performance of FC5 on your new system. Were you able to use the proprietary ATI drivers for the card in this system? What were your framerates from glxgears? Any other problems you ran across after installing the OS?
Thinkpad Owner Since 2002
Thinkpad 701c, Thinkpad 240x
Thinkpad 600e, Thinkpad T30
Thinkpad T60/p

pundit

#3 Post by pundit » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:30 pm

chubes wrote:With that being said, give me your impressions of the performance of FC5 on your new system. Were you able to use the proprietary ATI drivers for the card in this system? What were your framerates from glxgears? Any other problems you ran across after installing the OS?
To say the least, this is probably one of the most GNU/Linux unfriendly laptops at the moment.

0. Some things work out of the box (processors with frequency scaling, USB2 plug and play---my music player, external hard drive and camera, the SATA hard drive (with excellent hdparm stats), ...), but many relevant subsections do not. And there exist no solutions at the moment.
1. There don't exist proprietary or free drivers for the ATI Mobility FireGL v5200 card it comes with. I am currently using VESA, and it happily takes up one processor entirely, even for simple operations like scrolling this web page. FC5 is flipping fast, but there is a lag in actually drawing stuff on screen because of this VESA issue. glxgears are currently of the order of 1000 fps. Though I am shooting for more along the order of 10,000 fps.
2. Wireless is bleeding edge also, and there exist no drivers that are moderately stable, yet. But at least I have faith much more faith in Intel than I do in ATI.
3. Stuff like suspend, hibernate and nifty power management don't work. But those I didn't even expect to.

Actually, come to think of it, once ATI release graphics drivers (say in a year or whatever <sarcasm>), it'll be a sweet machine.

chubes
Freshman Member

#4 Post by chubes » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:00 pm

Time to laugh. My T30:
3438 frames in 5.0 seconds = 687.557 FPS

That is disappointing to hear about the T60p. Generally in the past, Thinkpads have been most excellent in supporting GNU/Linux. I can even remember reading documentation on the IBM support website with regards to installing Redhat Linux 6.0 on an IBM 600e. Shortly afterwards, they even released modem modules for the machine, and I believe those are still available today for download. Will we see the same sort of initiative from Lenovo?

Only time will tell.
Thinkpad Owner Since 2002
Thinkpad 701c, Thinkpad 240x
Thinkpad 600e, Thinkpad T30
Thinkpad T60/p

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#5 Post by christopher_wolf » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:11 pm

chubes wrote:Time to laugh. My T30:

That is disappointing to hear about the T60p. Generally in the past, Thinkpads have been most excellent in supporting GNU/Linux. I can even remember reading documentation on the IBM support website with regards to installing Redhat Linux 6.0 on an IBM 600e. Shortly afterwards, they even released modem modules for the machine, and I believe those are still available today for download. Will we see the same sort of initiative from Lenovo?

Only time will tell.
We probably will; but keep in mind that, on th eT60p, there are so many new things that are totally different and a large step ahead in terms of hardware. It isn't that Lenovo is not paying attention to linux, it is just that the support in terms of drivers, etc, has to come out from companies like ATI and Intel for the new hardware. Take most of the high-end, bleeding edge stuff off and you get something that is pretty compatible with Linux. I am going to give it a bit of time before judging how well it goes with Linux.

All that begin said, however; Pundit is quite lucky to have a brand new T60p all setup like that; and, no, the pictures do not look bad... :)
IBM ThinkPad T43 Model 2668-72U 14.1" SXGA+ 1GB |IBM 701c

~o/
I met someone who looks a lot like you.
She does the things you do.
But she is an IBM.
/~o ---ELO from "Yours Truly 2059"

sethstorm
Freshman Member

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

#6 Post by sethstorm » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Somehow, I'm reminded of the 600 series being given another chance at bat with new hardware inside. The squarish design and the thickness give it away, although this time the slots are on the left side.

Giving this model a second chance (instead of writing it off as not up to IBM standard) looks to be worth it, even if some parts dont look like they're up with the rest of it in quality.
Lenovo W540 20BG
Lenovo W520 4270-CTO
Lenovo/IBM T60p 2007-BA1
Sold: (way too many)

lithium726

#7 Post by lithium726 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

that thing looks great. much slimmer than other pictures make it look.

Thanks!
Thinkpad T60 2613-CTO (2\4m\667, 3GB, 200GB 7200, DVD-RW DL, SXGA+, 3945ABG, 128MB x1400, GBe, BT IV)
Thinkpad T40 2373-PU7 (1.7\2m\400, 2GB, 120GB 5400, DVD\CDRW, SXGA+, Intel 2915ABG, 32MB MR7500, GBe, BT II)
Thinkpad T23 2648-PS1 (1.2, 512mb, 2915ABG)

pundit

#8 Post by pundit » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:47 pm

chubes wrote:Time to laugh. My T30:

That is disappointing to hear about the T60p. Generally in the past, Thinkpads have been most excellent in supporting GNU/Linux.
I am not certain glxgears is the best judgement of performance. Besides, I am sure your T30 has accelerated rendering. The problem with this card at the moment is that even 2D is not accelerated, and that's a bit of a bear. (It is somewhat mitigated by one processor almost entirely dedicated to rendering.)

But I have to agree with christopher_wolf's reply to your post. There are many interesting bleeding edge components in this laptop (which are rather powerful: I was blown away by how cool Quake 4 looked at high detail and 1600x1200 for the few minutes I had windows on the machine), and once the component manufacturer's step up, all will be well.

The problem, however, being that the x1000 line of ATI cards have been around since last October(?), and in the half a year that has passed, ATI has neither released sufficient specs nor proprietary drivers for the line; not even for 2D acceleration.

I tried contacting them about this (using a "the FireGL is a workstation class card, so I might want to use a workstation class OS" routine), but they directed me to Lenovo for support instead, who clearly state that only Windows XP and 2k (and may be 2k3) are supported.

What I am trying to say is, I know I sound like I'm cribbing, but I knew what I was getting myself into. There exists a project for the ipw3945 wireless card on sourceforge, so that will soon be sorted out. I have already had limited success there. It's this ATI thing that I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for; unless they just go out and pleasantly surprise us!

ThinkPad R

#9 Post by ThinkPad R » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:41 pm

wow... these are amazing images. could i use them on my desktop? thanks.
ThinkPad X230T Intel Core i5 3320M 2.6GHz 4GB 500GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 4000 with docking station
Dell Vostro 1420 Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz 4GB 320GB HDD 256MB nVidia GeForce 8400m DVD RW

pundit

#10 Post by pundit » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:41 pm

ThinkPad R wrote:wow... these are amazing images. could i use them on my desktop? thanks.
Of course. Tell me which ones you like and I can send across the resolution you want them to be in.

ScotchDiver

#11 Post by ScotchDiver » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Image links are down.

Edit: Hmmm that's odd, I still get placeholders for the images. When I try to visit them directly, I got the following error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /blogimages/T60p/IMG_0267.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The photography on your main site is wonderful though. Kudos.
Last edited by ScotchDiver on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
T60p 2007-93U, X40, W500 4058-CTO

pundit

#12 Post by pundit » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:56 pm

ScotchDiver wrote:Image links are down.
No they aren't.

ThinkPad R

#13 Post by ThinkPad R » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:10 pm

:P thanks a lot!

these would also work amazing with PowerP.

Automative Reflection, the beach w/ clouds blocking the sun, Blue Sunset, Haloed Clock Tower, Urban Discontinuity, and Light Stream.

@ 1024x 768

I love these! Are you a professional photographer?

You would make lots of $$$.
ThinkPad X230T Intel Core i5 3320M 2.6GHz 4GB 500GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 4000 with docking station
Dell Vostro 1420 Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz 4GB 320GB HDD 256MB nVidia GeForce 8400m DVD RW

pundit

#14 Post by pundit » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:59 pm

ThinkPad R wrote: Automative Reflection, the beach w/ clouds blocking the sun, Blue Sunset, Haloed Clock Tower, Urban Discontinuity, and Light Stream.

@ 1024x 768

I love these! Are you a professional photographer?

You would make lots of $$$.
No, no, I just shoot for fun from time to time.

It sounds like you went to 'sun' category and decided to list them all :P. Here you go:

Automotive Reflection
Paid Vacation
Blue Sunset
Haloed Clock Tower
Urban Discontinuity
Light Stream

ThinkPad R

#15 Post by ThinkPad R » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Thank you very much.

For copyright issues.. eh hem.... rather no, but

when I saved,

I put them into my computer as ""name of the picture" by Pundit".

pundit

#16 Post by pundit » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:18 pm

ThinkPad R wrote:Thank you very much.

For copyright issues.. eh hem.... rather no, but

when I saved,

I put them into my computer as ""name of the picture" by Pundit".
What copyright issues? They're my images, and I'm giving them to you. The license is fairly liberal; as indicated on my website.

o Basically, you don't tell people it's yours (unless, I suppose, if you really want to impress someone and you're caught up in the moment).
o You can modify (or not) and distribute it as long as you don't sell it (it's only fair considering I don't sell them!), and retain the same terms if you do.

Kyocera
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Location: North Carolina, ...in my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

#17 Post by Kyocera » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Really really nice pictures :)

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#18 Post by christopher_wolf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Those are some smashingly good pictures too; mind if I grab them for my desktop backgrounds? I have 1400x1050. :)

~o/
But she is an IBM.

tfflivemb2
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#19 Post by tfflivemb2 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:31 pm

WOW, remind me to send my laptops to you when I am ready to sell them...the quality of your pics would double the selling price for me!!

pundit

#20 Post by pundit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:11 am

christopher_wolf wrote:Those are some smashingly good pictures too; mind if I grab them for my desktop backgrounds? I have 1400x1050. :)
Why, thank you. Yes, you may, and this goes for anyone else too, you don't need to ask[1]. If you want larger images (or ones customized to your desktop), ask me and I'll put them up as soon as I can.
tfflivemb2 wrote:WOW, remind me to send my laptops to you when I am ready to sell them...the quality of your pics would double the selling price for me!!
And why not! If I'm around where you are, I can surely help out. Besides, if there are stakes attached to it (like higher fetching prices!), I'll do a more decent job. :D

[1] Since when did people start asking for permission? And, read a bit about my thoughts on the matter at the end of this interview.

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#21 Post by christopher_wolf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:44 am

pundit wrote:
christopher_wolf wrote:Those are some smashingly good pictures too; mind if I grab them for my desktop backgrounds? I have 1400x1050. :)
Why, thank you. Yes, you may, and this goes for anyone else too, you don't need to ask[1]. If you want larger images (or ones customized to your desktop), ask me and I'll put them up as soon as I can.
tfflivemb2 wrote:WOW, remind me to send my laptops to you when I am ready to sell them...the quality of your pics would double the selling price for me!!
And why not! If I'm around where you are, I can surely help out. Besides, if there are stakes attached to it (like higher fetching prices!), I'll do a more decent job. :D

[1] Since when did people start asking for permission? And, read a bit about my thoughts on the matter at the end of this interview.

~o/
But she is an IBM.

pundit

#22 Post by pundit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 am

christopher_wolf wrote:Thanks :) I would love the 1400x1050 versions
Of which ones?

christopher_wolf
Special Member

#23 Post by christopher_wolf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:29 am

pundit wrote:
christopher_wolf wrote:Thanks :) I would love the 1400x1050 versions
Of which ones?
Here they are:

Paid Vacation
Haloed Clock Tower
Urban Discontinuity
Light Stream

~o/
But she is an IBM.

pundit

#24 Post by pundit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:30 am

christopher_wolf wrote:Here they are:

Paid Vacation
Haloed Clock Tower
Urban Discontinuity
Light Stream
I will have them up soon. But don't people realise there are other images than just those in the 'sun' genus? I mean, I like these pictures somewhat but there are so many I like better.

pundit

#25 Post by pundit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 am

christopher_wolf wrote:Here they are:

Paid Vacation
Haloed Clock Tower
Urban Discontinuity
Light Stream
I will have them up soon. But don't people realise there are other images than just those in the 'sun' genus? I mean, I like these pictures somewhat but there are so many I like better.

In the meanwhile, here are larger versions of the images different people have asked for me in the past, and they're all at the highest sizes I have, other than the ones I uploaded yesterday at 1024x768.

http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20001.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20011.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20010.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20010.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20028.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20003.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20028.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20047.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20016.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20035.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20081.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20058.jpg
http://delineate.wahgnube.org/wallpaper ... %20002.jpg

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#26 Post by JHEM » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:27 am

pundit wrote:[[1] Since when did people start asking for permission?
You'll soon find after spending a bit of time here that the denizens of the Forum are a bit more civilized than the average NG reader.

It's something we tend to take a great deal of pride in and is one of the things that makes this such a welcoming and helpful stop on the WWW.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

Toine

#27 Post by Toine » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:16 pm

I agree..........

Plus, those pics are beautifull! I have the bee thingy on my desktop as we speak. thanks for that!

lophiomys
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

colored trackpoint keys

#28 Post by lophiomys » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:28 am

When I look at your great photographs,
I miss the colors on the trackpoint keys.
A feature that I barely noticed when it was there. Strange, :?
To me, the colors gave the black surface some kind of structure
or even some kind of face.