Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How I got a working 10.4.10 on my T60

OS-X on ThinkPads
FONMaster

How I got a working 10.4.10 on my T60

#1 Post by FONMaster » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:13 pm

This is what I did to have a build a working 10.4.10 on my T60. As always, there are no guarantees, and YMMV. In figuring out what to do, I consulted a number of resources, and restored more backups than I care to admit... or will tell my wife about.

My thanks go to all those who have gone before me, including the installer builders (JaS, KoolKal, Semthex, etc.) and MalovelentEvil for the original T60 build instructions & MsockoR for the blue screen fix.

THE TOOLS:

JaS 10.4.8 PPF1 + PPF2
KoolKal 10.4.10 Upgrade
10.4.5 Updater (per MaloventEvil in the sticky in this forum)
External Monitor
Backup External Drive

THE PROCESS:

1) In the BIOS, all default settings were in place. I installed with SATA in AHCI mode, and it continues to run that way to this day.

2) Installed JaS 10.4.8 PPF1 + PPF2. I've tried a number of builds, but this is the one that I keep returning to because of the reliability with my hardware. I installed the extras as a part of the installation.

3) Applied the audio and wireless patches that MaloventEvil describes in his sticky. At that point, I had a usable system that served me well.

4) This is a good place to do a backup. My preference is to do two backups using SuperDuper. First, a clone of the hard drive to an external drive. Second, an image to a second hard drive (so that when something goes south, I can restore from that image.) I tend not to use sparse images, but it's preference more than requirement, I think. (If you need to restore from the backup, boot from the image backup and restore using the image and disk utility. I don't know that it's the best way, but I can tell you that it works over and over and over.)

5) Acquire KoolKal's 10.4.10 updater. I tried several 10.4.9 & 10 updaters, and ended up settling on KoolKal's version. I love the fact that the OS update and kernel update are automated in one installer and that the extensions and old kernel are backed up automatically. IF YOU DO NOT USE THIS UPDATER YOU WILL NEED TO BACK UP SEVERAL EXTENSIONS INDIVIDUALLY. THEY ARE:

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
IO80211Family.kext
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Put them in a safe place.

6) Run the KoolKal installer. Feel free to allow the machine to reboot at the end of the installation.

7) AFTER THE REBOOT, YOU WILL BE PRESENTED WITH THE OSX BLUE SCREEN OF NOTHING. It is very zen, but it's probably not the kind of thing that you want. When an external monitor is connected, you'll be able to see the main desktop on it, while the blue screen will remain on the laptop monitor. To fix this, copy these files from either /backup/extensions or from the place you stashed them in step 5:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

copy them to /system/library/extensions

To change ownership and permissions, use terminal and issue the following commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

For good measure here, I performed the following commands in Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kext
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

Then a restart. All was good with the video.

8) The final piece is to restore the audio and wireless that was working in my 10.4.8 build. to do that, I:

a. copied AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and IO80211Family.kext from /backup/extensions to /system/library/extensions, overwriting what was already there.

b. fixed ownership and permissions with:

sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/IO80211Family.kext

rebuilt the extensions cache with:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.kext
sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

and restarted. Everything worked just fine. There is one noticeable exception for the good. I'd had problems with losing my WAP2 connection after a period of time, and that seems to have improved (if not resolved) with 10.4.10. (At least it's the first time my Hackintosh has run through the night without losing the wireless connection.

I don't know if these instructions are the shortest path to a working installation, I only know that they are the ones I used to get things going. Optimization is encouraged!

I'm excited to get the new iLife & iWork!

FON
Last edited by FONMaster on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#2 Post by Harryc » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:47 pm

Nice thread. I have a quick question, will the above build work if the T60 is used in an advanced mini-dock? Any problems using a wide screen? ATI X1400? Atheros 11a/b/g/n? (see my sig)

FONMaster

#3 Post by FONMaster » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:28 am

Harryc wrote:T60 is used in an advanced mini-dock? Any problems using a wide screen? ATI X1400? Atheros 11a/b/g/n? (see my sig)
On the mini-dock... I wouldn't expect a problem, since it would be invisible to the OS... I think... (Can't test, don't have one.)

On the ATI X1400... the answer is in the forum. Just do a search for X1400. Nebzar has a nice post here: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=x1400

On the wireless card... almost sure that it will work. The place to look for answers there are on the insanelymac forum. There are references to Atheros N cards, but they all refer to specific models, and I didn't take the time to look up the model of the N card used in the T60... but I don't think I saw an Artheros card that failed.

I'd certainly take a run at it. I think you'll be happy with the results.

FON

paOol
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by paOol » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:38 am

having successfully installed osx, i have a question.

do you think its better to install windows xp first, then osx later on, or have osx as the first and primary OS, then use bootcamp for windows?
ordered (8/12), estimated ship date (8/30). cant wait!!!

T61 14.1''(4:3) SXGA+, 2.0 ghz, 2 gig,100gig 7200rpm, Quadro 140M,

pdudas

#5 Post by pdudas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:51 am

Questions:

Speedstep?
Sleep?
Brightness Controls?

FONMaster

#6 Post by FONMaster » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:59 pm

paOol wrote:having successfully installed osx, i have a question.

do you think its better to install windows xp first, then osx later on, or have osx as the first and primary OS, then use bootcamp for windows?
What I found works best (for me) was to use OSX as the primary OS and run XP under VMWare. I didn't like any of the multiboot solutions I tried because the closest I got to something I thought was workable was to boot with OSX as the primary, hit f8, start the windows boot, hit f8 (to get the bootloaders working well), and the xp performance is great as far as I'm concerned. (I'm not a gamer, so YMMV.)

I don't know if I've seen anyone using BootCamp for Hackintosh... it might be tough since bootcamp would expect EFI. (but I haven't done the research.

FON

FONMaster

#7 Post by FONMaster » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 pm

pdudas wrote:Questions:

Speedstep?
Sleep?
Brightness Controls?
These are the three areas, aren't they? (grin)

On speedstep: powermanagement.bundle needs to be installed. See instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42163.. but it seems to be working on my installation without installing powermanagement.bundle. I believe it's a part of one of the two installers I used....

For sleep, I'm not a sleeper, so I haven't watched this too closely. I've seen a lot of experimental stuff, but no good answers.

Brightness.... haven't tried to adjust.

FON

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#8 Post by Harryc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 am

What I got working on a T60 87445BU (OS X 10.4.8 ) -

Video including CI/QE (fixed mouse tearings, but only works in 1400x1050 max. Need 1680x1050 for the WSXGA+ LCD)
Bluetooth (MX1000 Mouse)
Sound
Ethernet
Wifi (Thinkpad a/b/g/n)
Power Management (Battery Meter)
USB
PCMCIA

What does not work -

Resolution switching (not a T60 problem)
OSD
Built-in Microphone

Overall this machine seems like a decent candidate for OSX, but a 14 or 15" SXGA+ T60 would be much better.

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by Harryc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 pm

FONMaster, I have a question about your statement "(If you need to restore from the backup, boot from the image backup and restore using the image and disk utility.)".

How do you boot from the backup image and where does it reside? On an external USB drive? Since the T60 does not have Firewire, I'd assume that is what you are talking about, or are you talking about a second internal drive in a SATA ultrabay enclosure?. I was not aware that you could boot OSX from an external USB drive ... Firewire yes. Can this be true? :) I'm tempted to get a Firewire card for this T60 because I think OSX will boot from an external Firewire drive attached to it. Has anyone done this?

FONMaster

#10 Post by FONMaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:55 am

Harryc wrote:FONMaster, I have a question about your statement "(If you need to restore from the backup, boot from the image backup and restore using the image and disk utility.)".
Sorry for the slow response on this one. I've booted in three different ways... 1) by replacing the primary drive with another SATA drive that contains a backup 2) by using a PATA drive in the ultrabay (with adapter) and 3) via USB connected drive. When the machine is starting up, just press F12 to get the boot device list, and select the drive you want to boot from. Works to boot OSX or Windows or Linux or whatever you want.

FON

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#11 Post by Harryc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:49 am

Thanks for the reply. Will OSX install directly to a USB connected drive or did you have to clone onto it?

FONMaster

#12 Post by FONMaster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Harryc wrote:Will OSX install directly to a USB connected drive or did you have to clone onto it?
Haven't tried installing directly to a USB, but it should work just fine... I would think. (How's that for baseless speculation? (grin)) The only way that I've done it is to install OSX to either an installed SATA or ultrabay mounted PATA drive and then cloned (using superduper clone or a restore with disk utility from a .dmg file) One interesting thing... I've never had good luck restoring from sparse images. I don't know if that's because of something I do improperly or because it just doesn't work...

FON

Harryc
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#13 Post by Harryc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:26 am

Thanks. Based on your 'speculation' I'll have to try it someday :).

Dbruyere

#14 Post by Dbruyere » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:02 am

Can anybody tell me how to get Thinkpad a/b/g/n wireless working on 10.4.10?

in4m8ionman

#15 Post by in4m8ionman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 am

Look at the last post in this stream:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=50197

This is how I fixed the wireless on Leopard - should be the same under 10.4.10.

j

mfbernstein
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by mfbernstein » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 pm

The PCI device ID on the a/b/g/n is different (0024 instead of 1014 according to Thinkwiki). So the line you need to add to the kext is:
<string>pci168c,0024</string>
Thinkpad X61 (7675) 2.0GHZ/500GB/4GB/XP Pro