Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Find the right optical drive to fit 600X

Older ThinkPads from the 300, 500, 600, 700 Series, iSeries, Transnote etc.
HarryWild
Sophomore Member

Find the right optical drive to fit 600X

#1 Post by HarryWild » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:29 pm

I will be looking at upgrading the optical drive to a Toshiba 6472, 6372 or another brand and was wonder how one determines fit and combatibility?

Dead Toshiba link #1

I am get cheap and just do a:

Dead Toshiba link #2

What do you think? I know I have screw off my existing face plate and backing and to it into the new optical drive but is there anything else to it?

Moderator edit: Shortened URLs; both are dead as of 12/2006

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

TO CLARIFY MY QUESTION EVEN MORE!

#2 Post by HarryWild » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:44 pm

What brand and models work with the 600X!

If I want a DVD burner?

If I want a DVD/CD-RW combo drive?

That is really want I am after! Sorry for not getting my thoughts straight first!

JHEM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by JHEM » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:47 pm

Harry,

Almost any 12.5mm form factor optical drive will fit in the 600X after you remove the trim from your existing CD or DVD drive and attach it to the new drive.

The problem is the drive's tray front piece. Even drive's from the same manufacturer as your existing drive probably won't use the same attachment points as the existing tray, so whatever drive you get will almost certainly have to be modified.

A steady hand with a Dremel tool will usually rectify any problems you might encounter.

Regards,

James
5.5K+ posts and all I've got to show for it are some feathers.... AND a Bird wearing a Crown

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by HarryWild » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:12 pm

James,

Thank you for the information. That means I can pursue any 12.5mm optical drive.

I may just wait then to see if they come up with a 8X dual layer dvd burner in a slim notebook format; and then I will buy the older versions for a better price.

It just depend on how much I feel like I need it now! I will try to wait!

Cheers!

Harry

pkiff

Possible drive replacements with bezels similar to 600X?

#5 Post by pkiff » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:21 am

[EDIT 2004-11-26: The information in this post is inaccurate. Read the rest of this thread to get more complete and accurate information about bezel replacements. - Phil.]

I also have been trying to locate CD-RW, CD-RW/DVD or CD-RW/DVD-R drives that fit in the 600 series and that do not require much work in terms of changing the bezel.

Here are notes I've collected so far, but none of it is actually confirmed, since I've still not actually received one of these drives and compared its bezel holes to those on my current drives. And I don't have any information about DVD-R combo drives.

I have compiled the list basically by inferring information based on various eBay postings over the past 3 months or so. I'm pretty sure that there are compatible models available from Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba. Also, I understand that Panasonic models are also packaged under the brand name: M a t s u s h i t a.

To reiterate then, these are Unconfirmed, Draft Compatibility Lists and I cannot verify any of the information at this point. The first list identifies CD-RW/DVD drives, the second list identifies CD-RW only.

-------------------------
CD-RW/DVD Drives
Draft 600 Series Compatibility List
Read Speed Codes:
CD-R write x CD-RW write x DVD read x CD read

Panasonic/M a t s u s h i t a UJDA 700 Series:
UJDA 710 (8X8X4X24 )
UJDA 720 (8X8X8X24)
UJDA 730 (10x8X16X24)
UJDA 740 (?)

Sony CRX 800 Series:
800E (16x8x8x24x)

Toshiba ? Series:

CD-RW Drives
Draft 600 Series Compatibility List
Read Speed Codes:
CD-R write x CD-RW write x CD read

Panasonic/M a t s u s h i t a Model UJDA 300 Series:
UJDA 310V (?)
UJDA 330 (8x4x24)

Sony CRX 700 Series
CRX 700E (4x8x24x)

Toshiba ? Series:

That's it. I wonder if anyone can confirm whether any of these actually fit in the 600 series without requiring dremeling, drilling, or otherwiser retooling the 600 series bezel?

Phil.
Last edited by pkiff on Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

carbon_unit
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#6 Post by carbon_unit » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:24 pm

That depends on which 600 series bezel you start with.
The stock 600 series drive can be made by different manufacturers, all using bezels which look the same on the outside but mount to the drive in different fashions. Some snap on and some screw on.
You will need to find a bezel for a 600 from the same manufacturer as the drive you intend to put in if you want to do minimum modifications.
Such as using a panasonic cdrom bezel on a panasonic cdrw/dvd.
I can tell you that a sanyo bezel will not fit on a ujda 710 unless you chop it up and glue it on. :shock:
If you can buy a drive with a relatively flat bezel on it, a little trimming should produce a fit that is not too obtrusive but not form matching.

Form vs Function vs Patience.

pkiff

#7 Post by pkiff » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:37 pm

The stock 600 series drive can be made by different manufacturers, all using bezels which look the same on the outside but mount to the drive in different fashions. Some snap on and some screw on.
Oh. I didn't realize that. I had assumed (without actually looking yet) that the stock drives all had the same bezel design. That makes everything more complicated, doesn't it.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by HarryWild » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:42 pm

Oh. I didn't realize that. I had assumed (without actually looking yet) that the stock drives all had the same bezel design. That makes everything more complicated, doesn't it.
There is a safe solution to this; by buying it from an online retailer that has a policy of refunding the purchase if you are not happy within 30 days without a restocking charge. But even a 15%; it still fair I feel!

It might have to pay a little more; but it still discounted and you get state of the art and new; not like the Ebay vendors who in most cases sell discontinued model optical drives or are used. But it is a easy solution if you just must have it and don't care about those things. And the price is not that bad but I rather get something current.

Harry

pkiff

Compatible Toshiba Drives and Bezels for 600 series

#9 Post by pkiff » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:20 am

Okay, so this is my second attempt to try to come up with some kind of compatibility list for CD-RW/DVD combo drives for the 600 series.

Based on previous comments, I gather that there are many different drives which will fit in the UltraSlim Bay of the 600/e/x. Probably almost any standard, laptop-style drive with a height of 12.7mm will fit. But you will have to take apart whatever drive you have currently and install the new drive into the 600-style CD caddy. And you may have to trim the bezel (the piece that attaches to the front of the tray) in order to make it match the outside of the laptop. Or if not trim it, the bezel will not likely match the actual profile of the outside of the 600.

If you have an actual OEM IBM CD drive or CD/DVD drive currently, then you should have a bezel on the front of your drive that actually matches the front profile of the 600 perfectly: the bezel will have a bend in it to match the bend in the actual laptop. To get a drive that will allow you to use that perfectly matching bezel is the tricky part: each drive manufacturer uses different methods to attach the bezel, and they place the drive lights, the eject buttons, and the emergency eject hole in different places. And getting a drive from the same manufacturer is also not a guarantee that the bezel will be swappable, since manufacturers also change the bezel design from time to time.

So now I am just trying to figure out matching drives and bezels for the specific drive that came with my machine:

Toshiba SD-C2302
CD/DVD drive

I found a compatibility list from UltraDrives for the bezel only from the SD-C2302:
Toshiba Bezel for Slim DVD/CD-RW Black
and here's the same list with a better photo (but for the grey model):
Toshiba Bezel for Slim DVD/CD-RW Lt Gray

In case those links go bad, here's a copy of the list (note that this is draft, unconfirmed information only):
SR-C8002
SD-C2102
SD-C2202
SD-C2302
SD-C2402
SD-C2502
SD-C2612
SD-R2102
SD-R2212
SD-R2312
SD-R2412
SD-R2512
SD-R6012
SD-R6112
SD-R6252
SD-R6272
SD-R6372

The SD-C... series are CD drives or CD/DVD drives that are unable to do any disk writing. The SD-R... series drives all write to disks. The SD-R2... drives are CD-RW drives and the SD-R6... are all CD-RW/DVD-R drives of some kind.

Note in particular that the SD-R6472 (the latest Toshiba slim-line CD-RW/DVD-R burner combo drive) is not in the list. According to UltraDrives:
"Please note SD-R6372 and earlier drive faceplates will not fit on the SD-R6472." (from listing for Toshiba SD-R6472 8x Slim Double Layer DVD±RW Drive)

It seems possible to me that the list above is accurate and possibly even relatively complete for Toshiba drives. I'll let people know if/when I actually upgrade my Toshiba drive and can confirm the information in the list. Until then, or until others have confirmed it, then the information should be treated as just draft, unconfirmed rumours.

Phil.

pkiff

#10 Post by pkiff » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:31 pm

For those who may be interested, I received a Toshiba SD-R6372 multiburner (CD writer/DVD writer) for my 600X today and swapped it with my original OEM Toshiba SD-C2302 DVD drive. The front bezels/faceplates on these two drives matched exactly and I swapped one for the other relatively easily, considering I'd never looked under a bezel before.

The drive I received was actually not a bare drive, but a drive designed for a Dell Lattitude C series and some Dell Inspirons. Underneath the Dell caddy, however, the bare drive was identical to any normal bare drive.

I'll be testing the DVD writer over the next couple weeks, but I don't anticipate any problems. I may eventually post photos of what it looks like under the bezels if I get around to it.

Regardless, I would assume now that my list above is accurate: all those Toshiba drives probably use an identical bezel that can be interchanged amongst one another. There's no need of course to restrict oneself to drives that will end up with perfectly matching bezels, but it does make the front of the 600X look like it was originally designed to (with the slight bend running across the full length of the bottom front edge of the machine, and with the drive bezel flush against the rest of the machine as it is with the rest of the UltraSlimBay devices).

Phil.
Last edited by pkiff on Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadeInJapan

#11 Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:29 pm

Bought a QSI drive DVD/CDRW (found in Dell, HP and Compaq laptops) recently for a Compaq but didn't use it. Not sure who makes this drive. Changed the trim out of the DVD-rom from my 600E to this one and it works perfectly....nice fit...though the bezel color is closer to grey than black. The one I bought was the QSI SBW-242. This one can be made region free too (and I did). Other QSI models can be found on www.rpc1.com with region free firmware. I only paid about $70 for my drive (shipping included) from eBay.

MsGeek-CatseyeLabs

Add this to the list: Panasonic CW-8123 Combo Drive

#12 Post by MsGeek-CatseyeLabs » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:33 pm

This is in and kicking serious butt in my 600e/400MHz. No trouble retrofitting it into a sacrificial 600e optical drive module. Fits like a glove, although a little recessed by comparison to a tray-loader.

This is the same drive used in low-end iMac G5s, iBooks and (I think) really low-end PowerBooks. It's a slotloader. There is something really kewl about retrofitting a slotloading drive into an old-school ThinkPad...people tend to look at you something like this :shock: when you use it. They expect it in Macs, but not in a ThinkPad. IBM really should have looked at this drive for the later T-Series ThinkPads...it's hot.

My friend Chad Page has the DVD-Multi burner counterpart of this...the one that Apple sells as a "Superdrive." He loves his.

I'd point you towards a source for these drives but I don't know what the policy is on that.

HarryWild
Sophomore Member

#13 Post by HarryWild » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:51 am

Just purchased an Toshiba 6112 DVD burner. I will tell you if it works!

carbon_unit
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Add this to the list: Panasonic CW-8123 Combo Drive

#14 Post by carbon_unit » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:16 pm

MsGeek-CatseyeLabs wrote:
I'd point you towards a source for these drives but I don't know what the policy is on that.
Go ahead and point.

MsGeek-CatseyeLabs

Pointing...

#15 Post by MsGeek-CatseyeLabs » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:32 pm

The Catseye Labs ThinkPads:
600x 500MHz 2645-8EU, Two headless 366MHz 570 2644-IB1
In memoriam: "LittleBlue" 365x 133MHz.
Living with friends: 600e 400MHz 2645-IB1
Debian GNU/Linux on ThinkPads...a natural!

Mannersxxx

successful upgrade

#16 Post by Mannersxxx » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:59 am

I butchered an old laptop and found a tidy little Panasonic/M a t s u s h i t a UJDA 710 DVD/CD-RW sat in there. So I popped it out and then went about undoing the casing from my Thinkpad 600x DVD and putting it on this drive. The fit was perfect and the screws were in all the right places - no extra drilling - a simple, straight swap. There was one very small, plastic nubbin on the Panasonic drive that I had to file down which took 3mins max but now it sits flush - like it was perfect. If anyone wants pics (I don't think we can post them here) let me know.

P.s. The DVD playback is very slightly choppy - not too bad but much reading on this forum has suggested that this is the video card more than anything but I would be interested to know how people fair with DVD readers of 8X because on this drive the DVD read speed is 4X.
Thinkpadder Enthusiast
T400
2.4ghz 2gb LED
T61
2.5ghz 2gb
600x - 2645-9WU
Pentium III - 650mHz
Windows XP (SP3), 40 GB , 529 RAM
Panasonic/M a t s u s h i t a UJDA 710 upgraded DVD/CD-RW, internal wireless

Mannersxxx

CD writing software

#17 Post by Mannersxxx » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:03 am

Sorry forgot to ask - I'm runnign Windows 2000 (SP4+) can anyone recommend any good freeware CD writing software - I assumed it would be built in like in XP. Still haven't got to test the burning capability and I'm quite funny about what freeware I put on my little badboy.
Thinkpadder Enthusiast
T400
2.4ghz 2gb LED
T61
2.5ghz 2gb
600x - 2645-9WU
Pentium III - 650mHz
Windows XP (SP3), 40 GB , 529 RAM
Panasonic/M a t s u s h i t a UJDA 710 upgraded DVD/CD-RW, internal wireless

lenmullen
Freshman Member

#18 Post by lenmullen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:39 am

WarMachine

#19 Post by WarMachine » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Hey ! I knew I had seen this topic while surfing.

One more compatible Combo for the 600 series :

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

:)

W.
IBM ThinkPads 701Cs | 755Cs | 560 | 2× 600E | 3× T23 | X20 | X24 | 3× X31 | T30 | T41p | 3× T42 | T43 | X41
lenovo ThinkPads 2× T60 4/3 | T60 15″ WS | 2× T61 14″ WS | R60 | X60t | X61s | X61t | X301 | 3× T400 | T400s | W500 | X200 | X201 | T410 | T410s | 2× X220 | T420 | T420s | W520 | T430 | T440