Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Best way to accept money for a laptop?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
postdiction
Freshman Member

Best way to accept money for a laptop?

#1 Post by postdiction » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi, I did not know where to ask this question so I figured here would be the best place.

So the situation is that one of my friends needs to sell his MacBook Pro.

He wants to try to sell it on Craigslist.
This machine is worth $1000-1200. So accepting that much cash can be a dangerous, and problematic if counterfit money is involved.

So my question what are alternative safe ways to change money
Here is what I came up with

check - but you would need for the check to clear which can take a few days
USPS money order - safe and reliable

How else do people accept money for laptops?
He would like to stay away from internet based methods (paypal) as they will no doubt take a decent cut of the money.

Thanks

Hugh Chardon

Re: Best way to accept money for a laptop?

#2 Post by Hugh Chardon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:00 pm

He wants to try to sell it on Craigslist.
Well, good luck. But, as he suspects, the cream of society does NOT buy used computers on a bulletin board (which is Craigslist...) So be aware he will be dealing with people who, for lack of a better term, will need instruction (LOTS !)

This machine is worth $1000-1200.
This brings me to a pet peeve, Should your "friend" decide to sell this, and to maximize his gain (Nash's collorary) He should make sure it is PERFECT. That means NO FLAWS. as in-"it was just un-shrink wrapped yesterday", or that it has that apperance. Then, and only then, will it be worth upwards of a grand.
Because if your "friend" is a college student, I'll warrant it looks like a napkin at a Polish wedding. In other words, VERY USED. So This machine is worth $1000-1200. constitutes fraud. It's worth whatever the buyer will pay for it, usually 1/2 of your needs, as of the moment of transaction (Chardon's collorary), So to answer, go to a bank, have "the buyer" receive money from the bank, and then give it to your "friend".
Solved
BTW eBay says "I'm the market's fair price, based on users, and transactions" Take the model, average the selling price, and ask for 10 % more for face to face delivery. Go to the bank, get the cash from the bank, and viola !

aaa
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by aaa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Cash is usually the craigslist way to go...

underclocker

#4 Post by underclocker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 pm

I suppose your stuck with cash or gold.

It's slightly embarrassing and potentially insulting, but just hold each bill up to the light to see if the special thread is inside. If it looks good to you, it probably is real.

Here is more info on currency security features --> http://www.secretservice.gov/KnowYourMoneyApril08.pdf

I'm not sure how to tell if a one ounce bar of gold is real, but with gold over $900 per ounce, that's all you'd be getting. Plus a cup of coffee, depending upon where you meet the buyer.
T510, i7-620m, NVidia, HD+, 8GB, 512GB Intel 545s SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Home
T400s, C2D SP9400, Intel 4500MHD, WXGA+, 8GB, 160GB Intel X18-M G2 SSD, Webcam, BT, FPR Travel
Edge 14 i5-540m, Intel HD Graphics, HD, 8GB, 180GB Intel Pro 1500 SSD, Webcam, BT, red cover Music

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by rkawakami » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Haven't had any personal dealings with craigslist so I can't help you there (did buy a Sun workstation but that was using the company's petty cash account). Here's a PayPal calculator:

http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm

Note that the default fee rate is 2.9% if you have a business account. Personal PayPal accounts levy a 4.9% fee if the payment is made via a credit card. However, personal accounts also have a $500 monthly limit on accepting payments so I don't think you could use that for an anticipated $1000 sale.

As far as holding up the bills to the light, there's also some special pens that you can use to test the currency.

Oh, and bring a friend or two to the transaction and hold it in a very public place...

edit: About those pens... they are not fool-proof as some can indicate a false positive
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#6 Post by ajkula66 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:13 am

Never, ever accept PayPal for an item that you sell in person, otherwise you have an excellent chance of losing both the money and the item.

PayPal requires tracked and signed for shipping on a transaction worth more than $250...no such thing when you sell the machine face to face...

BTW, a lot of counterfeit USPS MOs have been going around and I wouldn't accept one during a face-to-face transaction...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

skitty4gzus

#7 Post by skitty4gzus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:07 am

meet at the buyers bank and be there for the withdrawal. go with a couple friends that look like they are ready to break something off on said buyer if tries something funny. And, if you have friends that are strapped that wouldn't hurt to bring them along as well.
My New Baby! T42p 2373-HVU

tomh009
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#8 Post by tomh009 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:13 am

skitty4gzus wrote:meet at the buyers bank and be there for the withdrawal. go with a couple friends that look like they are ready to break something off on said buyer if tries something funny. And, if you have friends that are strapped that wouldn't hurt to bring them along as well.
That's a lot of effort just to avoid paying 3% to PayPal ... :roll:
X220 (4287-2W5, Windows 8 Pro) / X31 (2672-CXU, XP Pro) / X61s (7668-CTO, Windows 8 Pro)

yak
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by yak » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Hugh Chardon wrote:Because if your "friend" is a college student, I'll warrant it looks like a napkin at a Polish wedding. In other words, VERY USED.
Hehe, I had to laugh :D. I come from Poland (only moved to Germany about 4 years ago) but the napkins at the weddings I've been to were all new. Maybe I was lucky? :lol:
ThinkPad™ X201 / AFFS-120
i5-560M 2.67Ghz, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Win 8 Pro 64-bit, UltraBase X200, ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard,
Dell U2713HM (2560x1440, IPS), ExpressCard USB 3.0 (2 ports, flush), Nexus 7+10

Hugh Chardon

#10 Post by Hugh Chardon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:25 pm

yak wrote: Hehe, I had to laugh :D. I come from Poland (only moved to Germany about 4 years ago) but the napkins at the weddings I've been to were all new. Maybe I was lucky? :lol:
Just so you know, I'm from the midwest originally, lots and lots of Polish and Russian and so forth friends and relatives (my bro is married to a Vavroski...) so I'm speaking more like at the END of the wedding... when the VFW hall looks like two bars the morning after... :?