Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201: Doesn't support linux?! (Black screen on boot)

Linux on ThinkPads
gregnorc

X201: Doesn't support linux?! (Black screen on boot)

#1 Post by gregnorc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:46 am

Making a new thread now that I've narrowed down the problem...

So I am trying to get some form of linux, ANY form, onto my Thinkpad X201.

I've narrowed down the issue to probably being due to this integrated graphics card

I had at least gotten a mostly working setup via the 9.04 alternative install... I had a working system, except for one tiny problem: The system froze shortly 30 seconds after login, without fail. So, it was completely unusable unless I stayed in text only mode....

I looked around, and the issue apparently was with my graphics card on the X201.

Here is the thinkwiki page for the laptop and the graphics card:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X201
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

I had been attempting to manually update the kernel to 2.6.33 using .debs I found online - no luck.

Someone suggested I try the newer version of Ubuntu, so I downloaded the Ubuntu 10.04 RC alt install CD... it installed fine, but when it starts up, it now just goes to a black screen. I can't even go into text only mode like the 9.04 alt install was letting me...

I am very desperate, I am _very_ close to sending this laptop back to Lenovo, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a working Ubuntu (or any other distro) install going on an X201, please share any details you can remember!

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X201: Doesn't support linux?! (Black screen on boot)

#2 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 am

Have you tried disabling KMS?
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.
Laptop: X270, running Fedora
Desktop: Intellistation 285 (currently dead)
Workstation: owned by my employer ;)
Toy: Miata!

gregnorc

#3 Post by gregnorc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 am

ThinkRob wrote:Have you tried disabling KMS?
No... how is that done, I will gladly try that and report back.

Volker

#4 Post by Volker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:44 am

You need the latest intel drivers. They now require KMS, so don't even think about disabling KMS.

Fedora 13 beta works on my T410s (same chipset), you can try it at http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by ThinkRob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Volker wrote:You need the latest intel drivers. They now require KMS, so don't even think about disabling KMS.
Quite right. That said, if you're trying to get an older distro to work (for some reason), you might have to disable KMS, as driver support used to be quite buggy.

Weird and confusing, I know.

The easiest solution is just to use a new distro like Fedora 13.
Need help with Linux or FreeBSD? PM or catch me on IRC: I'm ThinkRob on FreeNode and EFnet.

gregnorc

#6 Post by gregnorc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Volker wrote:You need the latest intel drivers. They now require KMS, so don't even think about disabling KMS.

Fedora 13 beta works on my T410s (same chipset), you can try it at http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease.
OK, I'll try this. Are you using the intel integrated graphics? Just want to double check.

This is the part I refer to,: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

I think it's what's causing the problems

kiwipad
Freshman Member

#7 Post by kiwipad » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm

I would be tempted to say just send the thing back to Lenovo. After all the X201 is specifically guaranteed to work with any Linux distro, even one with a kernel that may not support the graphics chip...oh, it's not? :lol:

From your original post it appears you have initially attempted to install one release of one distro. You've pointed to the thinkwiki page recommending kernel 2.6.33 or later *and* xorg 2.1. So you would have confirmed your chosen distro met those requirements? And when the machine "only" runs a text console you've read the system logs to get an idea of what may be causing the failure? Or did the graphics suggestion come from other sources?

You didn't say how you tried to update the kernel and how the update failed. But even with an updated kernel you may still need to update and then re-configure xorg - all from a text console.

And to be fair you really shouldn't expect an RC to just work, that's why it's still only a RC - could easily be some totally different cause so don't get diverted down that path.

One of the reasons I've never been convinced with Ubuntu is that it positions itself as the easiest Linux. Unfortunately so much of its UI is designed to hide and obstruct the ability to learn. No Ubuntu-provided graphic tool to do something? Then you're stuck.

So if the problem is the Intel HD graphics, yes a newer kernel (which will be found in the "out of the box" F13 as suggested) and the newer xorg should fix it.

If anything, I'd be sending the Ubuntu OS back for a full refund :wink:

With apologies if that sounds like a rant; I've just spent over an hour trying to explain how a conceptual process framework isn't a reference manual (you need to think about it, understand it and be able to adapt it), so probably on a roll...

Now, let's go see why Mint8 doesn't work on a T60...
T42 2374-K1G (Win XP Pro, Win 7, openSuse 11.2)

T43p 2668-G3U (Win XP Pro, openSuse 11.2,)

T60 2623-D2U (win XP Pro, Win 7, openSuse 11.2, Fedora 12)

gregnorc

#8 Post by gregnorc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:28 pm

kiwipad wrote:I would be tempted to say just send the thing back to Lenovo. After all the X201 is specifically guaranteed to work with any Linux distro, even one with a kernel that may not support the graphics chip...oh, it's not? :lol:

From your original post it appears you have initially attempted to install one release of one distro. You've pointed to the thinkwiki page recommending kernel 2.6.33 or later *and* xorg 2.1. So you would have confirmed your chosen distro met those requirements? And when the machine "only" runs a text console you've read the system logs to get an idea of what may be causing the failure? Or did the graphics suggestion come from other sources?

You didn't say how you tried to update the kernel and how the update failed. But even with an updated kernel you may still need to update and then re-configure xorg - all from a text console.

And to be fair you really shouldn't expect an RC to just work, that's why it's still only a RC - could easily be some totally different cause so don't get diverted down that path.

One of the reasons I've never been convinced with Ubuntu is that it positions itself as the easiest Linux. Unfortunately so much of its UI is designed to hide and obstruct the ability to learn. No Ubuntu-provided graphic tool to do something? Then you're stuck.

So if the problem is the Intel HD graphics, yes a newer kernel (which will be found in the "out of the box" F13 as suggested) and the newer xorg should fix it.

If anything, I'd be sending the Ubuntu OS back for a full refund :wink:

With apologies if that sounds like a rant; I've just spent over an hour trying to explain how a conceptual process framework isn't a reference manual (you need to think about it, understand it and be able to adapt it), so probably on a roll...

Now, let's go see why Mint8 doesn't work on a T60...

My fault, I've been pretty sleep depreived due to finals, I swear I'm normally not this edgy (pun intended)

I neglected to mention: I tried upgrading the 9.04 kernel manually via .debs as seen in this:
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/ ... -linuxmint

I had numerous issues with USB images made w/ unetbootin not working... switched to using a usb cd drive to elliminate that point of failure and got to where whenever I upgraded the kernel it would brick.

If the person who got FC13 RC working could post what image they used (as in, server vs netinstall vs normal cd vs dvd) I'd appreciate it, I'm thinking that may work (I also got work from someone on another board who messed around with grub and got Ubuntu working... I'll update this post with that method if it works.)

But yeah, to those who got FC13RC on their X201, PLEASE share which image you used... I wanna try and follow your process exactly as possible.

kiwipad
Freshman Member

#9 Post by kiwipad » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:13 pm

Hehe! No, you caught the back-end of a swipe from me that I really should have wrapped up !

Anyway, the step-by-step teminal method you used to try & update the kernel looks ok *but* I wouldn't be convinced it takes care of all the dependencies (in the follow-up posting it is suggested to use wget from the terminal). So you may have successfully installed some new kernel components, doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

Interesting that when I did have a brief play with Ubuntu, creation of a USB stick boot medium was a breeze, unlike then current openSuse and even Fedora releases.

Is it really just the graphics not playing? I know that's important but if you can run terminal mode you can view all sorts of system logs & configuration reports, change configs, etc. The reason I ask is you seem to be expressing doubt over the install? FWIW I find the most reliable method is to direct download (torrent only if you can guarantee the sources), check the hash value to make sure the file is sound, then create your own boot/install medium (CD,DVD or USB stick). Over the wire installs can be more prone to failure.

I don't use either Ubuntu or an X201 so I can only speak from general Linux experience.

Good luck with it (& the exams !!)

Volker

#10 Post by Volker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 pm

I used the DVD image on a USB drive to install F13 alpha. There I needed to install with vesa graphics ("basic graphics"), but after installation the intel driver was installed and working. Disable all virtualization support in the BIOS for the install. The beta might be working better.

This is intel integrated graphics on a T410s; Different form factor but same chipset.

PS: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

gregnorc

#11 Post by gregnorc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks volker, it looks like FC13 is going to install...

Kiwi: Haha, it's my bad really... I put the thread title since multiple distros had failed, but looking back that is because all the ones I tried had 2.6.32, and the people installing them on X201s had shelled out for a fancier graphic card and weren't on the integrated, so I thought just saying "linux" wasn't supported would get more responses... I've notices there's a lot of people who don't know much about how stuff works

I actually agree with your opinion of ubuntu's GUI tools... the only reason I picked it was since it has the largest install base, I assumed it would also have the best documentation.

Anyways, no hard feelings, and thanks everyone for the help!
Last edited by gregnorc on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregnorc

#12 Post by gregnorc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Yeah uhhh major problems still happening...

Well, it installed, but just shoots me into a text terminal... I have a feeling I gotta use yum to install the GUI enviornment but have no clue what the particular package(s) would be called (I told it to use base graphics like you suggested)

Also networking seems to be hosed... did this happen to you as well? I've got no wlan0, no eth0, nothing except lo... I think I managed to do something wrong :/

Did you just select base graphics install, then go through the install process, and everything worked? I unchecked the virtualization stuff in bios, do I have to turn off hyperthreading too?

If you could tell me

1.) What process you went through
2.) what you disabled in bios

that would help a ton

agnaramasi

#13 Post by agnaramasi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 pm

The workaround is to pass the specific boot option "i915.modeset=0" (and possibly also "xforcevesa", although I don't personally need it) to the kernel. This allows me to successfully install and run Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

Official Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/554569
More specific instructions on the workaround: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#14 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:29 am

agnaramasi wrote:The workaround is to pass the specific boot option "i915.modeset=0" (and possibly also "xforcevesa", although I don't personally need it) to the kernel. This allows me to successfully install and run Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

Official Ubuntu bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/554569
More specific instructions on the workaround: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5
That's for Ubuntu. gregnorc's trying to install Fedora, so I don't think those pages are directly applicable.

gregnorc

#15 Post by gregnorc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 am

I'm open to pretty much any distro as long as it has a relative large userbase (and hence a decent community and decent support), so I'm going to try the fedora install again then try Ubuntu, then lastly try Arch. I will report back with what, if anything works.

But if the person who had been using Fedora could let me know whether their system booted properly or if they still had to get some drivers and stuff after install, that would be helpful... my install didn't have networking and only booted to CLI.

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#16 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

gregnorc wrote:my install didn't have networking and only booted to CLI.
That definitely sounds like you or the installer did something unusual during the install process. Default installs of Fedora from the desktop images should *definitely* set up X and NetworkManager for you.

gregnorc

#17 Post by gregnorc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:03 pm

ThinkRob wrote: That definitely sounds like you or the installer did something unusual during the install process. Default installs of Fedora from the desktop images should *definitely* set up X and NetworkManager for you.
I think something was wrong with the install media... the live usb creator was giving errors, so I went back to using dvd, but then I have a different problem: It tells me it cannot find a drivers disk and won't let me continue the install. I input my language, and my keyboard pref, then it asks me what partition and directory holds the installation image for Fedora, /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2, and neither has the image. It asks me if I want to press F2 to configure additional devices, so I do so

It says "you don't seem to have any hard drives on your system! Would you like to configure additional devices?" and I select "YES" and nothing happens, so I select the only other option ("back")

I am asked then "Which media contains the installation image?

Local CD/DVD rom
Hard drive
NFS directory
Hard Drive

All of these say it can't detect anything and ask if I want to specify a driver, but nothing is listed under asus or usb that looks like it would fit...

I'm pretty frazzled right now, did this happen to anyone else? I'm redownloading and verifying the dvd then burning a new one but I don't think that's the issue, any thoughts?

Ughhhh....

gregnorc

#18 Post by gregnorc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:55 pm

OK here's where it currently stands, both suggestions seem to not work :(

So I've come across two alleged fixes. Both have yet to work.

Solution 1.) Install Ubuntu 10.04, but screw with some boot parameters
Solution 2.) Install Fedora Core 13 RC
For any who might want full details: I was able to install Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop (released version) yesterday using the main install disks (not alt). I did this by including the options "xforcevesa i915.modeset=0" on the boot line for the default install -- I needed both these options in order to get it to work. After install, I edited the grub boot command (hold down shift until after the BIOS screen to be able to edit boot options) to include these options in the kernel call. I then edited /etc/default/grub, setting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa i915.modeset=0", and then called "sudo update-grub". Worked like a charm! I'm loving 10.04!

Solution 1 is not working... all I see is a black screen. There is no way to alter the boot parameters. (This is for the final 10.04 desktop install CD, which I downloaded, verified, then burned to a dvd

Solution 2 was to install Fedora Core 13 RC: It has the newer kernel and xorg drivers

Solution 2 is also hosed... someone on another board said they had sucess using Fedora's live usb creator and the dvd install image.

When I run the live usb creator it spits out the following error log:
.\tools\7z.exe x "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Fedora-13-Beta-x86_64-DVD\Fedora-13-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso" -x![BOOT] -y -oF:

7-Zip 4.45 beta Copyright (c) 1999-2007 Igor Pavlov 2007-04-17

Processing archive: C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Fedora-13-Beta-x86_64-DVD\Fedora-13-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso

Extracting .discinfo

Extracting .treeinfo

Extracting EFI

Extracting EFI\BOOT

Extracting EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.conf

Extracting EFI\BOOT\TRANS.TBL

Extracting EFI\BOOT\splash.xpm.gz

Extracting EFI\TRANS.TBL

Extracting GPL

Extracting Packages

Extracting Packages\BackupPC-3.1.0-11.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\ConsoleKit-0.4.1-5.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ConsoleKit-libs-0.4.1-5.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ConsoleKit-x11-0.4.1-5.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\DeviceKit-power-0.9.0-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\DeviceKit-power-0.9.0-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\GConf2-2.28.0-10.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\GConf2-2.28.0-10.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\GConf2-devel-2.28.0-10.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\GConf2-devel-2.28.0-10.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\GConf2-gtk-2.28.0-10.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\GeoIP-1.4.7-0.1.20090931cvs.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\GitPython-0.1.6-2.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\ImageMagick-6.5.8.10-6.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\ImageMagick-6.5.8.10-6.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\MAKEDEV-3.24-4.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ModemManager-0.3-2.git20100211.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\MySQL-python-1.2.3-0.4.c1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-0.8.0-0.4.git20100211.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-glib-0.8.0-0.4.git20100211.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-glib-0.8.0-0.4.git20100211.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-gnome-0.8.0-0.4.git20100211.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-openconnect-0.7.997-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-openvpn-0.7.997-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-pptp-0.7.997-3.git20100120.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\NetworkManager-vpnc-0.7.997-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ORBit2-2.14.17-4.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\ORBit2-2.14.17-4.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ORBit2-devel-2.14.17-4.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\ORBit2-devel-2.14.17-4.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\OpenEXR-libs-1.6.1-8.fc12.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\OpenEXR-libs-1.6.1-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-command-not-found-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.r

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-device-rebind-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-glib-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-glib-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rp

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-gtk-module-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-gtk-module-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-qt-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-qt-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-yum-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PackageKit-yum-plugin-0.6.3-0.1.20100322git.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyGreSQL-3.8.1-2.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyKDE4-4.4.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyQt4-4.7-5.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyQt4-4.7-5.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyQt4-devel-4.7-5.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\PyQt4-devel-4.7-5.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\SDL-1.2.14-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\SDL-1.2.14-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\SDL-devel-1.2.14-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\SDL-devel-1.2.14-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\TRANS.TBL

Extracting Packages\Xaw3d-1.5E-15.fc12.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\Xaw3d-1.5E-15.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\Xaw3d-devel-1.5E-15.fc12.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\Xaw3d-devel-1.5E-15.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aalib-libs-1.4.0-0.18.rc5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-addon-ccpp-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-addon-kerneloops-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-addon-python-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-desktop-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-gui-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-libs-1.0.8-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-libs-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-plugin-bugzilla-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-plugin-logger-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\abrt-plugin-runapp-1.0.8-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\acl-2.2.49-4.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\acpid-1.0.10-2.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\akonadi-1.3.1-2.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\akonadi-1.3.1-2.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\alchemist-1.0.37-8.fc12.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\alchemist-1.0.37-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-lib-1.0.22-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-lib-1.0.22-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-lib-devel-1.0.22-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-lib-devel-1.0.22-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.22-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\alsa-utils-1.0.22-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\amanda-2.6.1p2-2.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\amanda-2.6.1p2-2.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\amarok-2.3.0-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\amarok-libs-2.3.0-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\amarok-utils-2.3.0-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\anaconda-yum-plugins-1.0-5.fc12.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-antlr-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-bcel-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-bsf-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-log4j-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-oro-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-regexp-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-apache-resolver-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-commons-logging-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-commons-net-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-javadoc-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-javamail-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-jdepend-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-jsch-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-junit-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-nodeps-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-swing-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\ant-trax-1.7.1-12.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\anthy-9100h-10.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\anthy-9100h-10.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\antlr-2.7.7-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\antlr-javadoc-2.7.7-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\antlr3-java-3.2-4.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\antlr3-tool-3.2-4.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\apache-resource-bundles-2-3.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\apr-1.3.9-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\apr-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\apr-util-1.3.9-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\apr-util-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\apr-util-ldap-1.3.9-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aqute-bndlib-0.0.363-1.fc12.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\ar9170-firmware-2009.05.28-2.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\arts-1.5.10-12.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\arts-1.5.10-12.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\arts-devel-1.5.10-12.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\arts-devel-1.5.10-12.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-0.60.6-11.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-0.60.6-11.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-af-0.50-11.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ar-1.2-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-bg-4.1-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-bn-0.01.1-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-br-0.50-11.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ca-20040130-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-cs-20040614-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-cy-0.50-9.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-da-1.4.42-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-de-20030222-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-el-0.50-9.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-en-6.0-11.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-es-0.50-19.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-fo-0.2.16-10.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-fr-0.50-14.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ga-4.3-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-gd-0.1.1-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-gl-0.50-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-gu-0.03-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-he-1.0-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-hi-0.02-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-hr-0.51-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-id-1.2-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-is-0.51.1-7.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-it-2.2_20050523-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ml-0.03-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-mr-0.10-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-nl-0.1e-8.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-no-0.50.1-15.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-or-0.03-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-pa-0.01-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-pl-6.0_20061121-4.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-pt-0.50-15.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ru-0.99f7-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-sk-2.01-3.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-sl-0.50-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-sr-0.02-6.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-sv-0.51-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-ta-20040424-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\aspell-te-0.01-5.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-3.1.12-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-spi-1.29.92-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-spi-1.29.92-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-spi-devel-1.29.92-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-spi-devel-1.29.92-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\at-spi-python-1.29.92-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\atk-1.29.92-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\atk-1.29.92-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\atk-devel-1.29.92-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\atk-devel-1.29.92-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\atmel-firmware-1.3-7.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\attica-0.1.2-2.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\attica-0.1.2-2.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\attica-devel-0.1.2-2.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\attica-devel-0.1.2-2.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\attr-2.4.44-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\audiofile-0.2.6-11.fc12.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\audiofile-0.2.6-11.fc12.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\audit-2.0.4-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\audit-libs-2.0.4-3.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\audit-libs-2.0.4-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\audit-libs-python-2.0.4-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\augeas-libs-0.7.0-1.fc13.i686.rpm

Extracting Packages\augeas-libs-0.7.0-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\authconfig-6.1.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\authconfig-gtk-6.1.1-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Extracting Packages\autoconf-2.65-1.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-af-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-bg-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-cs-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-da-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-de-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-en-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-es-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

Extracting Packages\autocorr-eu-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

ERROR: Can not delete output file F:\Packages\autocorr-fa-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm

ERROR: Unspecified error
I figured I'd try anyways, but it was right - it failed. When I try and boot the image, the laptop just tells me to remove the disk then hit r to reboot.

Any ideas? :(

kiwipad
Freshman Member

#19 Post by kiwipad » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:32 pm

To add boot parameters you may need to hit a key (varies between distros and not sure for Ubuntu - <Esc> maybe?) as the boot media starts; typically anything from 5-30 seconds delay to allow this. Then you would enter the strings as suggested above.

As for the F13 USB creator problem, might seem like a dumb question but what size USB stick are you using?

The last F13 DVD problem looks odd: it's booted from the DVD, allowed you to select language/input options then somewhow lost track of the install source path *and* failed to identify a target install path? I'd expect even a Release Candiate to be capable of those steps.

It may be an iso file error, but that should have beein picked up with the MD5 or SHA check. If you do download another iso, try a different source if one is available.

Having some strange issues with the Mint experiment (see Mint T60 thread next door !). It happens !!

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#20 Post by ThinkRob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Volker

#21 Post by Volker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:00 pm

gregnorc wrote:When I run the live usb creator it spits out the following error log:
[...]
ERROR: Can not delete output file F:\Packages\autocorr-fa-3.2.0-12.13.fc13.noarch.rpm
ERROR: Unspecified error
The live USB creator from within linux worked for me with Fedora 13. I never tried the windows version. Are you sure your USB stick has sufficient free memory?

gregnorc

#22 Post by gregnorc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Volker wrote: The live USB creator from within linux worked for me with Fedora 13. I never tried the windows version. Are you sure your USB stick has sufficient free memory?
it's an 8GB stick, that I formatted as Fat before the install. I downloaded the image via bittorrent (which hashes after download I believe?)

Also this site where I got the image, it doesn't even list an MD5 hash for if I were to re-download: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-prerelease

kiwipad
Freshman Member

#23 Post by kiwipad » Sat May 01, 2010 6:59 am

Top of your referred page, "After downloading an ISO, verify it"

But you're right, a torrent d/l should do the verification "in-flight". Reliable torrent source?

@ Thinkrob & Volker, Fedora has been iffy with unetbootin for a couple of releases now; Fedora's own USB creator for Win worked fine for me on F12.

gregnorc

#24 Post by gregnorc » Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm

hash has been verified for fedora image... using base graphics install via netbootin gets partway through then gives error
The installer tried to mount image #1, but cannot find it on the hard drive. Please copy this image to the hard drive and click retry. Click exit to abort the installation
I'd like to try copying the actual .iso to the root directory and seeing if that helps, I put the .iso on the same flash drive that unetbootin made bootable, so I should be able to copy it... I did ls /dev but it lists 40+ devices, and most of them aren't mounted... How would I mount this USB drive/go into it? Without the path to it I cannot copy the files.

gregnorc

#25 Post by gregnorc » Sat May 01, 2010 2:05 pm

So disabling KMS in Ubuntu 10.04 RC works... though the final release boots to a black screen so I cannot edit the boot params.

Here's how I did it, for the curious:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=3

I mean, I'd rather get the stable version running, but the RC is better than nothing. I might use it for a couple weeks then see if anyone's encountered a similar issue and found a fix (or maybe try the official FC13 build... by then they'll have released it and presumably updated the usb creator as well)

ThinkRob
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#26 Post by ThinkRob » Sat May 01, 2010 5:59 pm

gregnorc wrote: I mean, I'd rather get the stable version running, but the RC is better than nothing.
You should be able to just use APT to upgrade to the final release.

1NF1N1T3K1FF

#27 Post by 1NF1N1T3K1FF » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:24 pm

Have you Tried Puppy Linux or Mint? both excellent candidates for laptops, especially Mint.
Mint works much better than ubuntu and has a much smaller footprint on the hardrive and a much quicker boot time?!! Puppy linux runs on just about anything and is purpose built for older hardware, but try the newer versions of puppy precise for something like an x201 as older versions or legacy versions are meant for anything like a Pentium 4 and below. Mint (Mate version) is probably well suited to the x201 check it out! can't believe nobody has suggested them to you?!

thinkpadcollection

#28 Post by thinkpadcollection » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:42 am

While writing to USB flash drives using ISO image, use rufus utility in DD mode (it will ask btw.) This is my primary go to utility.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

jaspen-meyer

#29 Post by jaspen-meyer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:37 am

1NF1N1T3K1FF wrote:Mint (Mate version) is probably well suited to the x201 check it out! can't believe nobody has suggested them to you?!
You're responding to a thread from 2010. Mint (Mate version) didn't exist in 2010.
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led