Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T43 SSD FAT32 or NTFS Windows XP

T4x series specific matters only
clicker

T43 SSD FAT32 or NTFS Windows XP

#1 Post by clicker » Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 am

It's my first post so I just wanted to say it's extremely useful forum!
I've been using T43 2668-F5G for 5-6 years now and I couldn't wish for something better regarding my needs.

My PATA Kingspec 64GB SSD is on his way and since I don't have any experience with SSDs so far, I would like to clear out some things that are bothering me.

I plan to install Windows XP. Which filesystem should I use?
FAT32 or NTFS?

I'm aware of FAT32 limitations but I've seen articles that say performance is better. Is it true?

What bothers me the most is 4GB file size limit. BUT I could live with that with 2 partitions. FAT32 for Windows XP and NTFS for data. (20GB win c: and ~45GB data d: for example). Is it a good idea? Maybe I could adopt completely to FAT32 if it's really faster.

I'm looking for performance in the first place, but don't want some extra issues.

Could NTFS be optimized to gain performance on SSD? Turning off file indexing etc.

I would appreciate any thoughts.
IBM ThinkPad T43 2668-F5G

lukee

Re: T43 SSD FAT32 or NTFS Windows XP

#2 Post by lukee » Tue May 17, 2011 5:56 am

Welcome to the forums!

If you really need high SSD speed, you should consider T43 SATA mod. This laptop has normal SATA bus for HDD but deploys SATA to PATA bridge chip to support PATA HDDs. Many members on the forums already modded their T43/R52 or X41 and they use SATA HDD's/SSD's natively. With normal PATA interface in T43 you're restricted with 80 MB/s, with that SATA mod you can go around 120 - 150 MB/s. It's considerable, isn't it? :)

Look here to the bibin's page: http://mikejmoffitt.com/sata/
Current: T420
Previous: T400, T43p Flexview, T40, R52, T43p 14"
My first ThinkPad was 570

clicker

#3 Post by clicker » Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

Yes, I've seen this mod and it's great!
But, since I've seen it after I ordered SSD with PATA interface, I will use PATA for now.

FAT32 or NTFS is what interests me at this point..

GomJabbar

#4 Post by GomJabbar » Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 am

DKB

clicker

#5 Post by clicker » Tue May 17, 2011 9:01 am

After reading this I think I'll go with NTFS because 64GB isn't such a small disk after all. It is small in terms of today's standard desktop HDDs, but for FAT it seems to be little too much and I'm afraid that over time system would slow down. It's not the case with NTFS and by this articles NTFS is faster in fetching fragmented data.

Somehow I think that FAT32 would perform better in the beginning, but I'm not sure if I could keep this over time even with defragmenting HDD every once in a while?!

I need some proof or experienced user's theory.

I intend to apply some tweaks for SSD that can be found on web having in mind that Windows XP is initially set for using mechanical HDDs.

Less talk more rock when SSD is shipped to my door.
I'm excited to try it and I'll share some benchmarks with you as soon as I get hands-on. I also can't wait to see how it will act over time since SSD have their own wear time.

clicker

#6 Post by clicker » Wed May 25, 2011 9:16 am

Just to keep you posted:

I have tried Kingspec 2.5" 64GB MLC SSD PATA and IT DOESN'T WORK!
eBay link

windows xp - NOT WORKING WELL
windows 7 - NOT WORKING WELL

My guess is that Kingspec has very bad controller in this SSD because better performance was achieved with FlashFire but still not usable. Windows stalls and then it works, stalls, works etc.

HD Tune benchmark

Next step: transforming T43 into SATA capable machine. Just need some courage. I'll install my Intel 320 Series SSD.

Johan
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#7 Post by Johan » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 am

@ clicker:

Welcome to the forum!

Just for your information, if you're not confortable with making the SATA-mod. to your mobo, an alternative is to use an IDE-to-SATA adapter in your T43 (since this does NOT require that you modify your T43 hardware); read more in the thread 1.8" SATA to 2.5" IDE converter?... read all posts or, if in a hurry, start from this. Also, see the thread Speed optimization/garbage management in PATA SSD’s under XP - it might be of your interest!

I'm using a couple of Transcend PATA SLC SSD's (one TS16GSSD25 and one TS32GSSD25) in my T42/p's (under WIndows XP/NTFS), that works fine! Note that (at least for older PATA's) SLC SSD's are often recommended over MLC SSD's for e.g. computers containing an operation system.

Hey, have you installed the free "Notebook Hardware Control" program to lower your power consumption? Also, do you have the "ThinkPad Fan Control" program installed? Both are absolutely recommended in T43/p's! :-)

Keep us posted about your progress! :thumbs-UP:

Johan
IBM T42p's (2373-Q1U & -Q2U): 2.1 GHz, 15" UXGA FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB FireGL T2, 128 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate
IBM T42 (2373-N1G): 1.8 GHz, 15" SXGA+ FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 64 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate

clicker

#8 Post by clicker » Fri May 27, 2011 3:54 pm

thank you for such a great hospitality.

I've strongly decided to go with pata-to-sata mod to unleash the full power of the beast.

with kingspec SSD I've tried all kinds of optimizations steps but none of them helped. it's due to low entry SSD controller I believe. with intel 320 series it will be necessary in small doses probably.

I have no need for NHC (I'm using IBM power management and ATITool to control X300).

TPFanControl runs at startup.

again, thank you for your effort to make me feel welcome and part of this community.

Hope I'll come back with some cool info regarding SATA mod.

Johan
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

#9 Post by Johan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:08 pm

clicker wrote:thank you for such a great hospitality.
You're certainly most welcome! :)
clicker wrote:I have no need for NHC (I'm using IBM power management and ATITool to control X300).
Ooh, wait a second; this sounds to me as if you're perhaps not fully acquainted with all the many benefits of "Notebook Hardware Control", especially its ability to undervolt the CPU, which will reduce power consumption, which will extend battery time and also trigger your fan to go "on" less often. Have a look in the thread NHC 2 is out! and, if in a hurry, just review from this post and onwards. Examples of using NHC in T43/p's are discussed many places, e.g. Research w/ NHC on T43p High Temps. The very fine guide by visionviper --> GUIDE: How to max out your battery life *56K warning - Pics* will explain how to set up NHC.

Johan
IBM T42p's (2373-Q1U & -Q2U): 2.1 GHz, 15" UXGA FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB FireGL T2, 128 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate
IBM T42 (2373-N1G): 1.8 GHz, 15" SXGA+ FlexView, 2 GB RAM, 64 MB Radeon 9600, 64 GB 1.8" SATA SSD, IBM a/b/g, BT, Win 7 Ultimate

clicker

#10 Post by clicker » Fri May 27, 2011 4:44 pm

I actually never thought about custom undervolting because I've seen that IBM power management does some in dynamic switching mode but since I've seen in one of your links that it can be still significantly reduced, I'll give it a try! I'll play with the settings. Pentium M 780.

edit: I've set all voltages at -20% for a start, but is it normal that voltage jumps to default IBM value even with undervoltage set!? for example: x6 0.748V but when I just jump through tabs it show 0.988 for a moment when I get back at status tab. 0.988 is default. could IBM power management driver be the problem? and it looks like to be the problem only when dynamic switching is on. if maximum performance is selected, undervolted value stays constant for example.

digittante

#11 Post by digittante » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 am

Clicker/Johan/et al,

Thanks so much for all your research into upgrading Thinkpads w/ SSDs.

I have a mint-condition T43p/15" running Windows7 Ultimate just fine with three drives: the original 60Gig 7200rpm drive containing the OS, a 4Gig SSD in the ExpressCard slot for ReadyBoost, and a 32Gig CF card in the PCMCIA slot for data/documents.

I'm interested in upgrading the main OS drive to an SSD , but only if it will increase system speed & battery life, and only if I can do it via swapping in a new drive (i.e. no de/soldering the mobo for me). I love, in principle, removing the SATA-PATA bridge to restore native SATA connectivitiy, but that's above my skill level. Also, I've seen conflicting accounts that (1) Transcend/Kingspec PATA SSD SLC/MLC drives are problematic and un-returnable, (2) any PATA SSD will only perform as fast as the T43p SATA/PATA bridge allows, (3) T43p machines are just too unique for simple SSD replacements to yield worthwhile performance boosts.

So will a simple SSD replacement drive boost performance in a T43p that already runs T43p just fine?

Thoughts, anyone?

digittante

clicker

#12 Post by clicker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:02 am

YES, SSD will increase your system speed (I would say snappiness) even on PATA. mainly because fast access time. PATA interface will only restrict your read/write capacity which means that possible data throughput of an SSD will not be achieved, BUT it will be maximum possible that Marvell controller allows and with larger read/write than your 7200rpm HDD for sure (if SSD supports larger read/write. all mostly do).

since I haven't heard for any good PATA SSD (Johan said his Transcends work well), you could try buying PATA to SATA adapter that could fit into your T43p and buy decent SSD. I would recommend Intel. OCZ if you search for something cheaper.

edit: digittante, you gave me a great idea to use PCMCIA for RadyBoost. What are your experiences in gained performance? Which hardware (PCMCIA card) do you use?

digittante

#13 Post by digittante » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:45 pm

@Clicker:

In the ExpressCard slot, I use a Lexar ExpressCard 4Gig for ReadyBoost.
In the PCMCIA slot, I use a Viking Interworks 32Bit adaptor with an aData 32Gig Compactflash (encrypted using Truecrypt) for docs/data.
System RAM = 2Gig.

I bought this machine summer of 2005 right after Lenovo bought IBM's laptop biz. So the laptop and the box it came in still said "IBM". I've had the above setup for 2 years with Windows 7 Ultimate, and it runs pretty well. The machine is still my daily driver, and my most-used apps are Outlook, Office 2010 Pro, and Google Chrome (~dozen tabs open at any given time). The Readyboost guidance I found (in '09) was that you should use a drive w/ capacity = 2X your RAM for best results. Anything larger would be wasted.

EDIT: FWIW the "Windows Experience Index" reports a score of 3.7 running the fully Aero interface experience.

Happy to share further if you or anyone else has more q's.

Bibin

#14 Post by Bibin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

If you *must* use the kingspec SSDs (which will degrade quickly over time) I might want to note that FAT32 yields much more responsive results. NTFS seems to make it lock up for seconds at a time without warning.
Give your T43/T43p/R52/X41 the SATA it deserves! http://mikejmoffitt.com/sata

clicker

#15 Post by clicker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 am

Yes, that was exactly my problem. Kingspec locked up for a second without warning VERY OFTEN. I should have tried FAT, instead I sent it back and got refund.

Update:
@ Johan - NHC doesn't work as it should in Windows later than XP. This is why I had problems while undervolting CPU in Windows 7. Undervolting values wasn't always respected. They jumped to default.

RightMark CPU Clock Utility did the job for me. I see you are using XP (in signature) so you are fine with NHC.

digittante

#16 Post by digittante » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Circling back with an update on my effort to upgrade my T43P with an SSD.

The short answer: HD Tune benchmarked faster transfer rates on the SSD than the original HDD with the same OS/app/driver setup, and battery life was longer. But experientially the SSD seems the same or slower due to frequent, unexpected momentary freezing of the UI after mouse-clicks and overall system slow-downs when multi-tasking. Based on this: I'll try it as my daily driver for a few days before deciding if I'll keep it.

The long answer: My original setup was:
  • Original HDD: Hitachi 60Gb 7200rpm w/ 2 NTFS partitions C:BOOT\ and D:DATA\
  • ExpressCard slot: a Lexar ExpressCard 4Gig dedicated to ReadyBoost
  • PCMCIA slot: a Viking Interworks 32Bit adaptor & an aData 32Gig Compactflash for on-board backups of D:DATA\
  • System RAM = 2Gig
I replaced the original HDD with the Transcend 32Gb SSD 2.5" IDE MLC drive for $130. I installed a fresh build of Windows7 Ultimate and Office 2010 Pro, including all OS, app, and driver updates. I also installed Microsoft's Security Essentials, ZoneAlarm Firewall, and Windows Live Mesh (and configured my off-site sync'ing) to replicate the complete setup like on the original HDD. At this point I had two drives, one HDD and one SSD, both setup nearly-identically for the same laptop.

Following this guidance from Tom's Hardware I made some SSD changes including letting Windows self-manage the paging file on the SSD C:\ drive, but set PreFetching to operate on boot files only. I also re-setup ReadyBoost again using the Lexar ExpressCard 4Gig device. The system froze a lot until I installed Flashfire which helped TREMENDOUSLY. I also went into Device Manager to ensure (1) write-caching was enabled, but (2) write cache buffer flushing was turned off. Finally, after all the installs etc, I ran Auslogic's Defrag tool to defrag/optimize both the SSD and the original HDD.

I then ran HD Tune 10 times in a row with the new SSD, then swapped in the original HDD and ran it 10 times again. Average comparables (after 10 benchmarks per device) are:
  • DVC MAX AVG
  • HDD 40.2 29.5
  • SSD 67.3 48.1
Boot-up time (as measured from entry of boot-up password to display of Windows Login screen) went from 35-seconds (HDD) to 30-seconds (SSD).

Write-intensive tasks like installing the OS, Office, and service packs seemed to take a long time. And without the sound of a physical drive spinning up/down, I found myself wondering often, "Is it actually doing anything?" I imagine this is a lot like watching a Prius drive silently by.

All-in-all, I'm not yet convinced this solution is permanent. If performance isn't noticeably faster by the weekend, I'm returning/reselling the SSD.

I'm happy to answer questions if you have any.

AMATX

#17 Post by AMATX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:07 am

I've run some Kingspec SSDs with no degradation. Maybe not the bestest, fastest out there, but good value for $$ when I was shopping. Didn't buy the PATA, though(fortunately).

If you go w/NTFS, you might try turning off the 'last access' switch, which will lower the overhead somewhat. Here's a utility batch file I use to turn this off. Run from a DOS window:

E:\utility>type NTFSaccessOFF.bat
fsutil behavior query disablelastaccess
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Here's one I wrote to turn it back on, if wanted:

E:\utility>type NTFSaccessON.bat
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0

digittante

#18 Post by digittante » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks for the tip.

If I understand it correctly, your batch file would change the setting for the reg key:; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate.

If so, then the OS wouldn't update the "Last Accessed" or "Last Modified" time stamp on files. Is that right?

I'd be hesitant to do so, since I rely on Windows Live Mesh and SyncToy for file-change-based sync'ing. I imagine they rely on the "Last Accessed" or "Last Modified" timestamp when determining which files have changed.

Let me know if I got this wrong.

digittante

#19 Post by digittante » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm

digittante wrote:Thanks for the tip.

If I understand it correctly, your batch file would change the setting for the reg key:; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate.

If so, then the OS wouldn't update the "Last Accessed" or "Last Modified" time stamp on files. Is that right?

I'd be hesitant to do so, since I rely on Windows Live Mesh and SyncToy for file-change-based sync'ing. I imagine they rely on the "Last Accessed" or "Last Modified" timestamp when determining which files have changed.

Ok, done some more digging. Seems "Last Access" may be a different file attribute in NTFS than "Last Modified". Anyone know more about this?

clicker

#20 Post by clicker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 pm

But experientially the SSD seems the same or slower due to frequent, unexpected momentary freezing of the UI after mouse-clicks and overall system slow-downs when multi-tasking.
Yes, it was exactly my problem.
Transcend 32Gb SSD 2.5" IDE MLC drive for $130. I installed a fresh build of Windows7 Ultimate
Now I use Intel 320 Series SSD and it works EXCELLENT! Intel is the best on the market. You won't regret buying one. I had my lesson with Kingspec (I'm glad that amatx doesn't have performance issues)
Following this guidance from Tom's Hardware I made some SSD changes including letting Windows self-manage the paging file on the SSD C:\ drive, but set PreFetching to operate on boot files only. I also re-setup ReadyBoost again using the Lexar ExpressCard 4Gig device. The system froze a lot until I installed Flashfire which helped TREMENDOUSLY. I also went into Device Manager to ensure (1) write-caching was enabled, but (2) write cache buffer flushing was turned off. Finally, after all the installs etc, I ran Auslogic's Defrag tool to defrag/optimize both the SSD and the original HDD.
If your SSD does not work well instantly, without any tweaks, whatever you do, it won't help. It will never work as it should. (Maybe after firmware update/fix. Only my opinion.) Performance is significantly better with flashfire but it is not the solution.

STANDARD tweaks are necessary with new SSD. Superfetch, TRIM etc.
Boot-up time (as measured from entry of boot-up password to display of Windows Login screen) went from 35-seconds (HDD) to 30-seconds (SSD).
Improvement should be more significant. For example, my (almost)fresh windows 7 ultimate boots in less than 20sec. No GUI is checked in msconfig-boot.
Write-intensive tasks like installing the OS, Office, and service packs seemed to take a long time.
Bad SSD controller (firmware, hardware, whatever).
All-in-all, I'm not yet convinced this solution is permanent. If performance isn't noticeably faster by the weekend, I'm returning/reselling the SSD.
Return it.

UPDATE ON MY SETUP:
I took out CD/DVD and bought Ultrabay SATA caddy and put SSD inside.

New Intel 320 Series 40GB SSD.
Installed Windows 7 Ultimate from USB.
Done some basic tweaks and SSD is FLYING!

I sacrificed half of possible (200MB/s - now avg. 70MB/s) data throughput Intel 320 Series 40GB is capable of. I plan on doing PATA-to-SATA mod but right now 0.1ms access time is all I need. SSD Snappiness for the people.

AMATX

#21 Post by AMATX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

digittante wrote:Thanks for the tip.

I don't recall about my routines changing the registry. I set this all up in early 2010 and was in a hurry. Unfortunately(!), I didn't keep notes, I just worked throught things one item at a time. Googling things to see what I could change. I wanted Win7 to be basic, lean and mean and look like WinXP, as that was what I was used to. Building a specific purposed system, so no bells & whistles, just fastest, easiest to run I could. I did end up with several batch files tweaking system values(as the one above), and this was based on Windows routines that were often used by MSFT developers to tweak their systems. Very easy to pop open a DOS window, run a routine and exit vs. going the the normal slow, point & click interfaces.

I also don't like manually modifying the registry(for obvious reasons); would prefer using a .exe routine or something similar.

clicker

#22 Post by clicker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:24 am

@digittante: I forgot to mention that your ReadyBoost SSD in ExpressCard slot wouldn't be necessary anymore because when using solid state drive it's recommended to disable superfetch and since readyboost is connected to that service, it won't work.

digittante

#23 Post by digittante » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

After some more testing/reseach, it seems the UI freezes I experienced were related to Google Chrome cache thrashing. I've modified the Chrome shortcut Target properties to locate it's cache on a different drive at app startup sized at 350megs:

"C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disk-cache-dir="E:\ChromeCache" --disk-cache-size=350288000

That's cleared up a lot of the stuttering.

digittante

#24 Post by digittante » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 pm

More info to share (in the category of "Doh!"):

On the Transcend website, for the page detailing the TS32GSSD25-M (MLC) drive I bought, it specifically states at bottom:
*Note: For OS installations, SLC version is recommended
http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/Mo ... 1&LangNo=0

Word to the wise...

AMATX

#25 Post by AMATX » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Don't remember for sure, but I think the 'last accessed' and 'last modified' do, in fact, keep track of the last accessed/modified times for file(s), which you probably don't need or want. Therefore, the batch routines I referenced.

Also, be sure you turn off indexing on the drive/partitions, as you don't want this additional overhead either(you also don't need it with an SSD).

If you're not seeing a BIG time improvement on switching to SSD, then either you have a defective SSD(not likely, but possible) or you have some settings getting in the way.

Yeah, a 7200rpm drive is ok...in the same way Win98 was better than Win95...the future is electronic, not mechanical.

At a minimum, you oughta see a big improvement in boot times, as that's largely R/O activity.

Another way I spot checked was to compare boot times for apps. BIG diff between just popping an entry window for Word, Excel, Firefox, etc. Be sure you check this aspect out.

digittante

#26 Post by digittante » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Yuppers.

Indexing, Superfetching, & Readyboost-ing are all off. Large app start-up times (Chrome, MS Office) are definitely faster. They just pop-open, even when doing so indirectly by double-clicking on a large document file. System bootup time is now ~20secs from start to login screen.

Of all the changes I've tried, FlashFire and relocating the browser cache had the most impact.

AMATX

#27 Post by AMATX » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:08 pm

digittante wrote:Yuppers.

Indexing, Superfetching, & Readyboost-ing are all off. Large app start-up times (Chrome, MS Office) are definitely faster. They just pop-open, even when doing so indirectly by double-clicking on a large document file. System bootup time is now ~20secs from start to login screen.

Of all the changes I've tried, FlashFire and relocating the browser cache had the most impact.
Well, the above sounds like the SSD is working for you. Now, if you try a heavy duty write job, you could end up in stutter mode and/or running slower. However, for -most- users, -most- activity is a mix of reads and writes in spurts. Just what an SSD is good for.

More experimentation warranted...

clicker

#28 Post by clicker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 pm

how it deals with multitasking now?

digittante

#29 Post by digittante » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Multi-tasking has improved and stutters/freezes have subsided. Still get one or two per hour, but it seems to lessen the more I use it (don't even know if that's possible, technically). Overall, I'm feeling more confident in the switch to SSD. Also, since I can't use the Expresscard/34 slot for Readyboost as I used to, I've decided to upgrade the SSD there from 4Gb to 48Gb using this: FileMate USB + PCI-e Express card 48GB SSD Retail.

clicker

#30 Post by clicker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 am

Interesting product but expensive.