Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T22 - 2nd pair of IDE-controllers in DM - ACPI / APIC

T40/T41/T42/T43 Series
bob humid

T22 - 2nd pair of IDE-controllers in DM - ACPI / APIC

#1 Post by bob humid » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:28 pm

ppl of earth!

I am new here but it looks like a nice place to stay... :)

problem:
I was bored of havin´ 6 devices sharing the same IRQ on windows 2K with ACPI-hal (audio was popping sometimes and I don´t accept occasional cracks when watching a DVD) so I decided to give good old PC-standard a new chance. now IRQ-situation is better since I put PCI-slot one on #9 in the BIOS ... but now my windows takes forever to boot up, when it comes to "network registration" it takes like 2 minutes extra to boot up now...

from my experience on other / desktop machines I must say ACPI never works fine if there is no "APIC enable" function in the BIOS.

question 1)
does my T22 have APIC and the BIOS maybe does not show it? is it worthwile to hack the BIOS and activate this (probably hidden) function in the phoenix BIOS? I did that with my K7S5A motherboard and it runs flawless (had the same IRQ-dilema on he desktop back then). anyone hacked its T22 BIOS already?

question 2)
does anyone know which PCI-slot in the T22 BIOS equals which device? this information is not available anywhere

question 3)
how do I get rid of this boring additonal fake IDE-controllers (the system does not grant them bandwith anyway cause I already have installed the latest correct driver for my "82731AB/EB PCI-Bus-Master-IDE-Controller")? at the moment I have to deactivate them in Device Manager so I am not asked to install the driver at every boot up...

thanx in advance for any help... may the pad be with you

cologne, germany
IBM Thinkpad T22, 900 MHz, 512 MB, DVD, Windows 2000, Service Pack 4, ASIO4ALL
Media Assistance USB ONE, 4 x USB2 PCMCIA

bob humid

APIC

#2 Post by bob humid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:47 pm

oops. it seems I placed some hardcore questions..

:?

but one thing gets clearer:

my SiSoft Sandra tells me the PIII coppermine doesn´t feature "Local APIC build-in" so I guess no multiple IRQs on the T22 ...

bob humid

I wear sunglasses at night..

#3 Post by bob humid » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:20 pm

.. and talking to myself here... and not carying about it. someone else might read it and need this info...

went back to ACPI, double IDE-driver is gone again... PC-STANDARD was more performant but I experienced baaad blue screen deaths when harddisk went busy. had paralell, serial and IR disabled in BIOS.

even without APIC on chip ACPI seems to be the better choice...

over and out