Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

OS-X on ThinkPads
peroxide

X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

#1 Post by peroxide » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 pm

I bought my X220 last November, and decided to turn it to a hackintosh a few weeks after I received it, because I like my T61 hackintosh (thanks to Silencer, adidasprince, Sebinouse et al's work) so much. Looking around, I did not find any complete guide discussing about this. Luckily, I managed to put all the information together, and built a 99% working hackintosh on my X220. I would like to share my experience and summarize here. Hopefully this is helpful to people who are interested.

My X220 specs:

CPU: Sandy Bridge Core i5 2410M 2.3GHz (similar to Core i5 2415M in early 2011 13” MBP)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000, 0x0116 (same with MPB)
RAM: Samsung 8GB
SSD: Intel 160GB SSD SATA
Wireless Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (replaced with Dell DW1515, AR9280)
Ethernet Card: Intel 82579LM
Audio: Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD
Card Reader: Ricoh R5C822

Results:

Things work:
• Video works (QE/CI and resolution change) OOB with native driver and “GraphicsEnabler=No”. (“GraphicsEnabler=Yes” also works but will inject a different Dev ID, and the video card will be shown as “Unknown” in system profiles.)
• Build-in Camera works OOB.
• Fingerprint reader works OOB
• Facetime and Apple Store work.
• Bluetooth works OOB with some minor quirks.
• AHCI and ATA injectors not needed on ThinkPads, everything works OOB (Silencer).

• Keyboard, touchpad and trackpoint: ThinkpadUltraNav with ApplePS2Controller.
• Brightness slider in display preferences with DSTD patch. Adjust brightness using “ScrLk”and “Pause” keys.
• SpeedStep: After patching HPET device in DSDT, P-states works with patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; C-states works by setting “GenerateCStates=Yes” in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.
• Power and Battery: VoodooBattery.kext + patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext
No need to remove /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext to allow VoodooHDA.kext to work - DSDT patch (Silencer).
• Audio works (internal speaker and mic, combined external headphone and mic jack, volume up, down and mute) with VoodooHDA.kext v2.7.2 after pin patch patched AppleHDA.kext (updated Apr 22, 2012).
• Restart works with EvOreboot.kext.
• Sleep and USB EHCI - DSDT patch
• Wireless card: replaced with Dell dw1515. Works natively with airdrop support. (need to remove white list from BIOS)
• Ethernet card works with AppleIntelE1000e.kext
• VGA port works with patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

What's not working or not checked:
• SD Card Reader. Tried a lot of kexts without any luck.
• FN key combinations, Mic mute and ThinkVantage button not working
• Display port. Never tried. (some posts claim it is working)

NOTE: Remember to back up your data before you do this.

Step 1. Preparation:

Requirements: 1. OS X Lion dmg. 2.Working Mac OS X (hackintosh or vmware)

Follow the guide here to create an installation media:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=260594.

Instead of creating an installation partition on the hard drive, I used a USB flash drive, so that I can use it to install Mac OS on other machines and save space on my small SSD.

Step 2. Hack for MBR installation: (If your hard drive is GUID partitioned skip to step 4.)

Since I don’t want to destroy the recovery partition and the Windows 7 professional that come with the machine, I choose to stick with MBR.

The hack files can be found at: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1431. Download and unpack the archive file. There are two files in this archive, “OSInstall” and “OSInstall.mpkg”. We need to use ‘OSInstall’ to replace “System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall” in your installation USB (or partition), and use “OSInstall.mpkg” to replace “System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg”.

Since the files are archived in a good way, we can simply type
“cp –r ./System /Volumes/ Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System” in a terminal to finish the hack. (“Mac OS X Base System” should be the label of your installation USB (or partition) created in step 1.)

Step 3. Prepare for disk partitions:

The key points are: 1) Mac OS partition must be a primary partition; 2) there must NOT be any logical partitions before Mac OS partition; 3) also keep in mind that in MBR disk only the first 4 primary partitions can be recognized.

In my case, I already have two primary partitions (the recovery partition and Windows 7 partition). I have a couple choices to partition my disk:

Recovery (primary) | Windows 7 (primary) | Mac OS (primary) | other partitions …
Or
Recovery (primary) | Windows 7 (primary) | primary partition | Mac OS (primary) | logical partitions …

The actual arrangement of my partition is:
Recovery (primary) | Windows 7 (primary) | Mac OS (primary) | Ubuntu (logical)

Tips: a) if you find Wndows 7 can not be shrunk to the size you want, defrag the partition then try again. If it still does not work, try third-party partitioning utilities like this: http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Parti ... ontentBody.

Step 4. Installation:

Set “MacBookPro8,1” in SMBIOS.plist. The following kexts are the minimum requirements in your “Extra/Extensions” folder of your installation USB:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
EvOreboot.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Follow the instructions on the screen. Everything should run smoothly until the first reboot, when an error like “There is no keyboard connected to your computer" pop up. But the keyboard is actually functional. There are two methods to fix this. Please refer to the 21st and 27th post in the following thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 5403&st=20.

After this, you should be able to reach the welcome screen, create accounts, enter apple ID, and finally the desktop.

Step 5. Post-installation:

I. IMPORTANT: Boot through installation USB, and install Chameleon RC5 on Mac OS partition. Then copy the Extra folder in your USB drive to the root of Mac partition.

II. DSDT patches:
You'll need DSDTSE (download here) to extract and edit your DSDT. Here is a video tutorial (dated) on editing and installing DSDT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyu8sF1YH4) in case your are not familiar with that. Though I have enclosed my own dsdt at the end of the post, I strongly recommend to apply dsdt patches one by one to your own dsdt; so that you'll be aware of what you are patching for and if the patches work or not. You never need a dsdt patch for something that is already working well.

1) audio: remove “Device (HDA)” so that you do not need to remove AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E to avoid kernel panic.

2) Brightness slider: add “Device (PNLF)”

Code: Select all

Device (PNLF) 
{ 
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002")) 
            Name (_CID, "backlight") 
            Name (_UID, 0x0A)
            Name (_STA, 0x0B)  
 }
3) USB and Sleep: add “_DSM Method” to EHC1 and EHC2 in between Name (_PR2, Package (0x01) and Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized) (see attached DSDT)
According to post here (http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-942847-1-1.html), sleep fails due to remote wake-up through EHC2. Therefore, sleep will work (both manually or lid close) after adding “_DSM Method” EHC2 as well.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x0D)
                        {
                            "AAPL,clock-id", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x01
                            }, 

"built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }, 

"device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x05)
                            {
                                "UHCI"
                            }, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
                            0x04B0, 
                            "AAPL,current-extra", 
                            0x02BC, 
                            "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                            0x03E8, 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
4) HPET: required for speed stepping.

Device (HPET)
                 {
                     Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                     Name (ATT3, ResourceTemplate ()
                     {
                         IRQNoFlags () 
                            {0} 
                        IRQNoFlags () 
                            {8}
                         Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                             0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                             0x00000400,         // Address Length
                             )
                     })  
                   Name (ATT4, ResourceTemplate () 
                    {
                     })
                     Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                     {
                         Return (0x0F)
                     } 
                     Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized) 
                    { 
                        Return (ATT3) 
                    } 
                }
III. CPU Speed stepping:
P-states: patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. (find in "patched_kexts" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)
C-states: “GenerateCStates=Yes” in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
(Remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /E/E/ after this is done)

IV. Sound:
VoodooHDA.kext v2.7.2 after pin configuration. (find in "patched_kexts" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)
I tried a couple versions of VoodooHDA.kext. It seems that v2.7.2 works the best. Patched AppleHDA.kext also came out (http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-966078-1-1.html), but it does not seem to be working as well now.

V. SleepWatcher: http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/
I use it to unload VoodooHDA before system goes to sleep, and reload VoodooHDA during the system’s wakeup, to avoid clicking sound of VoodooHDA. This method works pretty well for me. It is also used to umount USB devices before system suspends to avoid improper removal of USB devices

VI. Battery:
VoodooBattery.kext + patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext in /E/E/. (find in "Extensions" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)

VII. Ethernet card:
AppleIntelE1000e.kext in /E/E/. (find in "Extensions" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)

VIII. Wireless card: (white list removal)
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-R ... st-removal

IX. Keyboard:
Keyboard, touchpad and trackpoint work using ThinkpadUltraNav.kext with ApplePS2Controller. (find in "Extensions" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)
However, the backquote key “`” yields the section key “§”, therefore there’s not tilde key “~” either. To fix this, install KeyRemap4MacBook.pkgn. Then go to system preferences -> KeyRemap4MacBook -> For International English Keyboard and ISO Keyboard Users -> check “ Section (§) to Backquote (`) ”. http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

X. Bluetooth on/off:
Need to add the vendor ID and device ID to the Info.plist of “S/L/E/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext”. Find “Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_D” part in the Info.plist, and replace the idProduct with your device ID (8575), idVendor with your vendor ID (2652). Please note that the vendor ID and device ID are the ones that found in Windows 7. The ones shown in Mac’s system profiles are not correct. And you need to convert the ID’s from Hex to Decimal. Please refer to: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=353. Alternatively, we can create a plist only kext (BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIInjector.kext), and put it in /E/E/. (find in "Extensions" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz)

XI. VGA out:
Patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. (find in "patched_kexts" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz). Full resolution, rotation, QE/IC. There are some minor problems, which can be solved by either re-plugin the VGA cable or manually sleep then wake the computer. Keep tuned. http://www.osx86.net/view/2230-hd_3000_ ... icsfb.html

XII. Monitoring with IStats Menus:
Install ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, SuperIOFamily.kext (find in "Extensions" folder of Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz) along with slice’s FakeSMC.kext. Need DSDT patch. I have only CPU Die temperature and Fan speed sensors detected though. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... topic=1206.

Step 6. Dual Boot with Windows 7:

After the installation of Mac OS X, Mac partition will be marked as active, and you can boot windows through Chameleon. However, I prefer to set Windows 7 partition as active and dual boot Mac OS using EasyBCD, because Windows automatic update will sometimes not work if Windows partition is not set active. EasyBCD can be downloaded at http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1.

1. To change active partition using Mac’s disk utility, follow the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=22844

2. Then use Windows 7 DVD (USB, http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/) to recover Windows boot loader with command “bootrec /fixmbr”.

3. Login to Windows 7 and launch EasyBCD, add menu entry for Mac OS (choose MBR mode).

Step 7. Triple Boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10:

After installing Ubuntu, grub2 takes over Windows boot loader. However, grub2 does not appear to boot Mac OS. Therefore we need to recover Windows boot loader and add Ubuntu menu entry in EasyBCD (choose grub2). I.e. repeat 2 and 3 in Step 6.

Method 1: After installing Ubuntu, grub2 takes over Windows boot loader. If you want to triple boot using Grub2, then add the following code to /boot/grub/grub.cfg as a menu entry. Or you can modify the existing menu entry for MacOS according to the following code. Save and restart.

menuentry "Mac OS X Lion" --class osx --class darwin --class os {
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod hfsplus
	set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ba43552d339bd024
        multiboot /boot
        }
tips: It is better to back up the modified grub.cfg, because sometime ubuntu update overwrite grub.cfg, then you have to modify the menu entry for MacOS again.

Method 2:
Restore Windows boot loader using Windows 7 installation disk/usb (bootrec /fixmbr).
Install EasyBCD (if you haven't done so) and add Ubuntu menu entry in EasyBCD (choose grub2). I.e. repeat 2 and 3 in Step 6.

Step 8. Combo update:

I confirm it is safe to update to 10.7.2. Before boot in to Lion, login to the installation USB or windows (Macdrive installed) first, and replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext in S/L/E with the patched ones.

I’ll update to 10.7.3 and report here later.

I’ll keep my post updated if I find something new or inaccurate.

My files:
Extra folder of installation USB: Extra_USB.tar.gz
Extra folder on Mac OS partition (patched kexts included): Extra_Mac_Part.tar.gz
DSDT:dsdt.aml (updated on Apr 22, 2012) (I do not recommend to use my dsdt directly. Be aware of what you are doing when patching your dsdt).
SleepWatcher’s rc files:rc.sleep, rc.wakeup
Last edited by peroxide on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 am, edited 11 times in total.

peroxide

Re: X220 Hackintosh (lion) on MBR partition dual boot Windows 7

#2 Post by peroxide » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Update: Feb 5, 2012
Installed combo update 10.7.3 successfully. Need newly patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, which can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... try1792328

Update: Apr 22, 2012: Better Audio Solution - Patched AppleHDA.kext + HDMI audio enabled
a) As pointed out by some friends replying this post, a couple versions of patched AppleHDA.kext for Conexant CX20590 is out there. I was able to find the "best" version from a Chinese forum. Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ey7744p264ord1q

This version is almost perfect. The sound quality is good, and works well after wake-up from sleep. It can also automatically switch between the internal and external speekers/mic's. The only issue is the recording volume of the mic is very low. I managed to modify the kext a little bit to increase the input volume for the internal mic but not the external one. Please do let me know if you know how.

To use this kext, removal of VoodooHDA.kext is necessary! And HDEF device must be enabled and modified in DSDT.

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Name (_S3D, 0x03)
                Name (RID, Zero)
                Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                {
                    0x0D, 
                    0x04
                })
                Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Noop
                }

{
                    Store (Package (0x0A)
                        {
                            "codec-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x6E, 0x50, 0xF1, 0x14
                            }, 

"layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x6E, 0x50, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }, 

"device-type", 
                            Buffer (0x11)
                            {
                                "Conexant CX20590"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }
If you can not find Device(HDEF) in you dsdt, then add the above piece of code inside Device (PCI0) after Device (EHC2).

b) Enabling HDMI audio
In the above code,

"hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }, 
is required to enable HDMI audio. But there are a few more steps:
1) Add the following code to the FIRST Device(VID) between "Name (RID, Zero)" and "OperationRegion (VPCG, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x0100)" in your DSDT.

{
                    Store (Package (0x02)
                        {
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    Return (Local0)
                }
2) Install patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. (link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y2t23icpin8k8n4)
After restart, go to "system preferences" -> "sound" -> "output", and select the HDMI device. Then open itune to play a song, you should be able hear the sounds.

3) HDMI audio volume control.
By default, Mac OS sees the HDMI audio as line-out, so one can not control the volume using volume keys, and the sound is always maximum. A workaround is to install "soundflower" (link: http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/list)
Restart is NECESSARY for soundflower to work.

Then open soundflower under the applications, a black flower will show up on the menu bar in the status/indicator area.

Click the blackflower, in the menu set the "soundflower (2ch)" to be "HDMI", and keep "soundflower (16ch)" to be "None(OFF)". Then in "system preferences" -> "sound" -> "output", select "soundflower (2ch)" as the output device. Now you should be able use the volume keys to adjust the volume.

Once everything works, add "soundflower" into "system preferences" -> "users & groups" -> "login items", so that it'll be load automatically every boot.

Issues: Soundflower is still not perfect. It stops working around every 20 minutes. Once you find the sound fails, just click the blackflower on the menu bar and select "soundflower (2ch)" -> "HDMI" again, the sound will come back right away.

Update: Apr 22, 2012
Triple boot with windows and linux CAN be done with Grub2.
See updated "step 7" in the original post.

Update: May 14, 2012, Mac OS X 10.7.4 Combo Update

Generally, it is recommended to install combo updates from downloaded update packages, instead of installing from software update.

A summary about 10.7.4 combo update can be found at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... pdate.html

Specifically for x220, we need to do two things after the update:
1) Reinstall Patched AppleHDA.kext
2) Re-enable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext so that speed stepping and sleep would work properly.
I’ll focus on the second one, since the first one is very simple.

It requires 3 steps that are equally important:
1) Patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
The script and instructions can be found here.
You can also download the my patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and install it in /S/L/E/
2) Add “DropSSDT=yes” to org.chameleon.Boot.plist
My org.chameleon.Boot.plist is enclosed.
3) Create or find a SSDT.aml for your processor and put it in /Extra/, along with your DSDT.aml
Here is the ssdt.aml for Intel i5-2410M.

Remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, if you have it installed; then fix permissions, regenerate kextcache, and restart.

References:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/ ... pdate.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... 70#p373264
http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003
Last edited by peroxide on Mon May 14, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kns7977

#3 Post by kns7977 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for doing this.
I've been trying this but couldn't find any solutions.
I have i3 version of x220, but that shouldn't be any problem.
I'll post my results once I finish my setups.

Again, great job!

cr2250

#4 Post by cr2250 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 am

OP, Any suggestions on going at this via vmware? I have Windows 7 installed on my Msata so I would like to use the second hard drive (partitioned) for Mac. Vmware seems to be the best option without the possibility of harming my windows 7 area.

Also when doing the whitelist removal for the wireless card. The link you provided, should I install that bios in order to get any wireless card working or just the one you listed (dell).

Sorry for the newbish questions!

peroxide

#5 Post by peroxide » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:55 pm

cr2250 wrote:OP, Any suggestions on going at this via vmware? I have Windows 7 installed on my Msata so I would like to use the second hard drive (partitioned) for Mac. Vmware seems to be the best option without the possibility of harming my windows 7 area.

Also when doing the whitelist removal for the wireless card. The link you provided, should I install that bios in order to get any wireless card working or just the one you listed (dell).

Sorry for the newbish questions!
Sorry, I have little experience with vmware, and can not help.
After whitelist is removed from bios, any wireless card would work theoretically.

cr2250

#6 Post by cr2250 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Since you seem to be familiar with partitions.

Do you think it'll be possible to put OSX on my partitioned internal hard drive? Windows is currently on my Msata, so I don't have enough space for an OSX installation.

peroxide

#7 Post by peroxide » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 pm

cr2250 wrote:Since you seem to be familiar with partitions.

Do you think it'll be possible to put OSX on my partitioned internal hard drive? Windows is currently on my Msata, so I don't have enough space for an OSX installation.

Yes, installing OSX on a separate disk is actually easier. Just create a primary partition on your internal hard drive, then install OSX following my post. Step 6 (dual boot) should change then, since I am not sure if EasyBCD can create boot entry for system on a second hard drive. But you can set up your bios to boot from the internal hard drive every time, then Chameleon will help you dual boot Windows on your msata SSD.

sborisov

#8 Post by sborisov » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 pm

peroxide, thank you very match for your instruction!!! now i'm actually fully happy with my hackintosh =) but still don't work sleep mode..=( (i use your dsdt - x220 like yours) . question - with posted dsdt sleep mode does must work or not? it go to sleep very well, but can't wake up =(

crashnburn
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#9 Post by crashnburn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Nice work :)
T61 8892-02U: 14.1"SXGA+/2.2C2D/4G/XP|Adv Mini Dock|30" Gateway XHD3000 WQXGA via Dual-link DVI
X61T 7767-96U: 12.1"SXGA+/1.6C2D/3G/Vista|Ultrabase
W510 4319-2PU: 15.6"FHD/i7-720QM/4G/Win7Pro64 (for dad)
T43 1875-DLU: 14.1"XGA/1.7PM-740/1G/XP (Old)

cr2250

#10 Post by cr2250 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:41 am

I'm in the process of starting the installation for my x220.

I just purchased a dw1515 for the wireless card installation.

My questions are:

Do I need to do the hack for the MBR installation? Even if i'm installing OSX on my secondary hard drive when Windows is on my Msata?

With the DSDT patches, where am I exactly typing in the revised codes? When you say "add" where am I specifically adding this information. I'm a little confused with the coding modification aspects.

I'll owe you a beer :D especially if you answer all my questions. I'm very grateful that someone finally posted a tutorial specific to an x220.

peroxide

#11 Post by peroxide » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:28 pm

sborisov wrote:peroxide, thank you very match for your instruction!!! now i'm actually fully happy with my hackintosh =) but still don't work sleep mode..=( (i use your dsdt - x220 like yours) . question - with posted dsdt sleep mode does must work or not? it go to sleep very well, but can't wake up =(
Sleep and wake-up work perfectly on my x220. I guess there must be some minor issues with the configuration of your x220, which may need some effort to find them out though.
In what way does wake-up fail in your machine? black screen but hard drive spinning? kernel panic? or totally unresponsive?
You may need to unplug all usb devices, disable voodoohda, run myfix to regenerate kextcache and fix permissions, restart computer, then try again.
Good luck.

peroxide

#12 Post by peroxide » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

cr2250 wrote:I'm in the process of starting the installation for my x220.

I just purchased a dw1515 for the wireless card installation.

My questions are:

Do I need to do the hack for the MBR installation? Even if i'm installing OSX on my secondary hard drive when Windows is on my Msata?
You'll need the MBR hack unless the hard drive (on which you are installing OSX) is GPT-based (GUID). By default, Mac installer does not allow installation on MBR disks. That's where the MBR hack comes into play.
With the DSDT patches, where am I exactly typing in the revised codes? When you say "add" where am I specifically adding this information. I'm a little confused with the coding modification aspects.

I'll owe you a beer :D especially if you answer all my questions. I'm very grateful that someone finally posted a tutorial specific to an x220.
Sorry for my careless writing (I've updated my original post a little bit). You'll need DSDTSE (download here) to extract and edit your DSDT. Here is a video tutorial (dated) on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyu8sF1YH4.

tsumi88

#13 Post by tsumi88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Please forgive me for being a n00b but I am when it comes to mac, especially hackintoshes....
I am able to install osx, boot again from the usb, initialize the setup and get to the desktop. I copy the "extra osx" folder to the desktop and paste it over to the "root" of my osx install disc and install Chameleon.
I have tried excluding (and including) the dsdt, running the kext utility.....
no matter what, upon next boot i get a KP
this last time after using the kext utility I did NOT get the "hibernation too old" or whatever but I still get a KP so I suppose it's not related to the hibernation thing....
can someone please help me out? did i not catch something that was absolutely necessary on that first boot?

peroxide

#14 Post by peroxide » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 pm

tsumi88 wrote:Please forgive me for being a n00b but I am when it comes to mac, especially hackintoshes....
I am able to install osx, boot again from the usb, initialize the setup and get to the desktop. I copy the "extra osx" folder to the desktop and paste it over to the "root" of my osx install disc and install Chameleon.
I have tried excluding (and including) the dsdt, running the kext utility.....
no matter what, upon next boot i get a KP
this last time after using the kext utility I did NOT get the "hibernation too old" or whatever but I still get a KP so I suppose it's not related to the hibernation thing....
can someone please help me out? did i not catch something that was absolutely necessary on that first boot?
Can you post more information about the KP. A picture of the KP screen will be very helpful.

tsumi88

#15 Post by tsumi88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm

peroxide wrote: Can you post more information about the KP. A picture of the KP screen will be very helpful.

and is there any way to not reinstall every time this happens? i dont have a "donor" mac anymore but would like to find a way to possibly fix or test sans reinstall......

Thanks guys,

Paul

tsumi88

#16 Post by tsumi88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 am

finally read line
1) audio: remove “Device (HDA)” so that you do not need to remove AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E to avoid kernel panic.
and went and removed applehda from /S/L/E
but forgot to copy extra folder and remove DSDT...
so KP'd again....
GAAAAAA
back to reinstall

peroxide

#17 Post by peroxide » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

tsumi88 wrote: http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh55 ... emp/KP.jpg
and is there any way to not reinstall every time this happens? i dont have a "donor" mac anymore but would like to find a way to possibly fix or test sans reinstall......

Thanks guys,

Paul
Hi Paul, the center of the screen is blocked by the "five language error". Can you boot with "-v" and re-take the picture?
But from what I can see, I guess it it because of AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext. The easiest way to bypass this is to put NullCpupowermanagement.kext (can be found from Extra_USB.tar.gz) in /E/E/ for the first boot. NullCpupowermanagement.kext can only be safely removed after patching dsdt and AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext. I am sorry my post is not clear enough. I'll update it soon.

peroxide

#18 Post by peroxide » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:31 am

tsumi88 wrote:finally read line
and went and removed applehda from /S/L/E
but forgot to copy extra folder and remove DSDT...
so KP'd again....
GAAAAAA
back to reinstall
You don't need to reinstall at all. Usually, you can boot with "-v -x" flags and enter the desktop in safe mode, then undo what you did. However, for KP cause by AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, you need to boot to USB drive first, then do the fix from command line (cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/(the label of OSX install partition)/Extra/Extensions/).

tsumi88

#19 Post by tsumi88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 am

The easiest way to bypass this is to put NullCpupowermanagement.kext (can be found from Extra_USB.tar.gz) in /E/E/ for the first boot. NullCpupowermanagement.kext can only be safely removed after patching dsdt and AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext.
Yeaa, when you get a chance that would be appreciated... I am a sys admin but have never dealt with Macs..... in a way i want to get one but feel very attached to my x220... :-)

I think i get what you are saying and will try tomorrow. I also read
(cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/(the label of OSX install partition)/Extra/Extensions/).
and am very happy about that, thank you guys!

cr2250

#20 Post by cr2250 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:12 am

We need an entire video tutorial :D

tsumi88

#21 Post by tsumi88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm

peroxide wrote:cp -r NULLCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/(the label of OSX install partition)/Extra/Extensions/).
i did not copy the Extras folder in this particular installation....
i get "does not exist"

I am reinstalling now and will try
to put NullCpupowermanagement.kext (can be found from Extra_USB.tar.gz) in /E/E/ for the first boot. NullCpupowermanagement.kext can only be safely removed after patching dsdt and AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext. I am sorry my post is not clear enough. I'll update it soon.
seriously though, ill send someone $20 and a 2.5 Hdd to image an existing clean and ready lion install for a 4287-2VU :D
with return shipping label :)

cr2250

#22 Post by cr2250 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 pm

^^ I will paypal you to clone that hard drive to my 2.5" hard drive for my x220 :D

A video tutorial would help greatly. I would love to paypal OP for one. How much I want OSX on my x220 :D

tsumi88

#23 Post by tsumi88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi Paul, the center of the screen is blocked by the "five language error". Can you boot with "-v" and re-take the picture?
But from what I can see, I guess it it because of AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext. The easiest way to bypass this is to put NullCpupowermanagement.kext (can be found from Extra_USB.tar.gz) in /E/E/ for the first boot. NullCpupowermanagement.kext can only be safely removed after patching dsdt and AppleIntelpupowermanagement.kext. I am sorry my post is not clear enough. I'll update it soon.
ok, so how can i patch the dsdt?
I watched the video but i do not get the "custom code" options, just "refresh" even after opening the file...
i know its an I D ten T error....

I was able to copy the nullcpupowermanagment to /E/E
and that's all I've done other than install Chameleon and run the Kext utility

but now it just spins at the apple...

booting -v to take another pic

tsumi88

#24 Post by tsumi88 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

ok here is the last part, not verbatim but hopefully you get the idea

acpi smc platformplugin start for real wait for service appleintelcpupowermanagment timed out
ditto register lpcdriver -failed to locate smc driver

peroxide

#25 Post by peroxide » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:20 pm

tsumi88 wrote: ok, so how can i patch the dsdt?
I watched the video but i do not get the "custom code" options, just "refresh" even after opening the file...
i know its an I D ten T error....

I was able to copy the nullcpupowermanagment to /E/E
and that's all I've done other than install Chameleon and run the Kext utility

but now it just spins at the apple...

booting -v to take another pic
Hi Paul, you need to copy the entire Extra folder in your USB drive to the root of your Mac installation partition.

peroxide

#26 Post by peroxide » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:25 pm

tsumi88 wrote:ok here is the last part, not verbatim but hopefully you get the idea

acpi smc platformplugin start for real wait for service appleintelcpupowermanagment timed out
ditto register lpcdriver -failed to locate smc driver
The first message is expected, because you are using Nullcpupowermanagment.kext.
The second is because you do not have FakeSMC.kext in the folder of Extra/Extensions/.
After install Chameleon, you need to copy entire /Extra folder on you USB drive to your Mac partition.

peroxide

#27 Post by peroxide » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 pm

cr2250 wrote:^^ I will paypal you to clone that hard drive to my 2.5" hard drive for my x220 :D

A video tutorial would help greatly. I would love to paypal OP for one. How much I want OSX on my x220 :D
It seems hard for me to make a video tutorial, but I can upload some pictures if you could tell me which part you found is hard to fellow. Thanks, and hang on.

cr2250

#28 Post by cr2250 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 am

Do I have to do this step:?

Step 6:
1.Download Chameleon RC5 752 from here.
2.Install Chameleon on both the partition you made and your snow partition.

I installed it on my flash drive but do I have to install Chameleon on my Mac?

tsumi88

#29 Post by tsumi88 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:48 am

cr2250 wrote:Do I have to do this step:?

Step 6:
1.Download Chameleon RC5 752 from here.
2.Install Chameleon on both the partition you made and your snow partition.

I installed it on my flash drive but do I have to install Chameleon on my Mac?
yes, that is your boot loader, your first boot after installation must be from the usb drive.
also make sure to change the "option" to make the drive MBA as the default is UEFI when your format and partition your hdd so that you can boot to the drive. Even though the bios supports UEFI it will not boot.
common symptom of this is that after you choose the boot device it just loops back to the boot device selection screen

cr2250

#30 Post by cr2250 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:11 am

tsumi88 wrote: yes, that is your boot loader, your first boot after installation must be from the usb drive.
also make sure to change the "option" to make the drive MBA as the default is UEFI when your format and partition your hdd so that you can boot to the drive. Even though the bios supports UEFI it will not boot.
common symptom of this is that after you choose the boot device it just loops back to the boot device selection screen
I understand that I have to install Chameleon on the flash drive but why do I have to install it on my Mac? When I'm installing osx on my x220? Could you define MBA for me? Where do I change the "option"?

Sorry trying to understand!

Also theoretically if OP uploaded his DSDT would it technically work with our x220 thinkpads?
Last edited by cr2250 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.