Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Mountain Lion on X220

OS-X on ThinkPads
fraisdos125

Mountain Lion on X220

#1 Post by fraisdos125 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:27 am

Step by step how to:

1) Hardware preparation.
2) Creation of the boot disk.
3) Install from the boot disk.
4) First reboot with the boot disk as boot loader.
5) Finishing (Kexts install + DSDT patch + Kexts (CpuPowerManagement & RTC) patch + Chameleon install + SSDT creation + Multibeast for wired card) & reboot without the boot disk. Please note that all kexts have to be installed in /System/Library/Extensions !

1) Hardware:
My spec:
BIOS Version: 1.28 Whitelist patched
CPU: Sandy Bridge Core i5 2520M 2.5GHz (TDP 35W - Max Turbo speed 3200MHz)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000, 0x0116 (same with MPB)
RAM: Samsung 4 GB
SSD: Intel 160GB SSD SATA
Wireless Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (replaced with Dell DW1515, AR9280)
Ethernet Card: Intel 82579LM
Audio: Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD
Card Reader: Ricoh R5C822

Before starting you need to carry out the following on your computer in order to be able to boot Mac & get wifi working:
- Enter in bios and select Bios Legacy instead of UEFI everywhere you can find it (UEFI doesn't work with Mac install)
- Replace your wireless card by a Dell DW1515 and patch your BIOS (without this patched bios you will not be able to see your wireless card).
- Select USB disk as first boot device.

2) Creation of the boot disk:
Use the following link, all steps are really fine detailed. Of Course replace all LION references to MOUNTAIN LION references and format your Stick with MRB as partition scheme ! if you let GPT you will not be able to boot your USB disk install.

Download OSInstall(MBR)+OSInstall.mpkg(10.8.0.GM).zip and apply instructions step 5 only here: http://www.osx86.net/view/2815-osinstal ... 0.8.x.html

Use this Extra folder into which one I have added FakeSMC. This will avoid some bugs as FakeSMC emulates your laptop as a real mac and help for hardware detection.
This set of kexts files will also enable PS2 mouse / keyboard and cancel the CPUPowerManagement.

Instead of the Chameleon version available in the link above, use the one provided in the link here-after (MOUNTAIN LION ready) called "Post Install" folder.

Create a folder with the name "Post Install" at the root of your USB boot disk and put it the content of this zip-file which contain all you need for the post install.
Content:
- Chameleon install (Chameleon Enoch-rev.2054.pkg) --> bootloader.
- Multibeast (MultiBeast 5.0.2) ---> which contains kexts driver for wired card.
- Kext Utility --> Creation of the kernel cache and driver installation tool.
- Chameleon Wizard --> Used to define the boot loader options.
- DSDT Editor --> To patch your DSDT
- SSDT creation utility.
- Set of kexts (Voodoobattery, AppleACPIPlatform, PS2 Ultranav, AppleHDA, FakeSMC and their plugins).
- AppleCpuPowerManagement patch script & AppleRTC patch script.
- DSDT (USB, AppleHDA,… fixes) & SMBIOS (used for Hardware definition - the ones shown by About your Mac)

Keep in mind that this USB boot disk will help you in case of problem with your mackintosh install. For example after putting a bad kexts or doing an update which leads to a Kernel Panic (KP).
ALWAYS keep this USB boot disk as it in a safe place.

3) Installation:

Boot on your USB boot disk.
Select you langage.
Click on Utilities & Select Disk Util.

Format / partition your futur Hackintosh disk. Select option and select MBR as partition scheme. X220 doesn't support GPT as partition SCHEME. Don't FORGET this, if not you will be not able to boot your mackintosh.

Start the Install & reboot.

Let the USB boot disk plugged into the USB port located at left top (the closest one of the screen at the left). This USB port is the first one used during the boot process.

Immediately after boot loader screen appears, select your freshly install as disk to be booted.

Doing this will boot your new hackintosh install with all important kexts present on you boot disk (AppleCpuManagement disabled & PS2 Mouse / Keyboard activated)

4) Finishing:

Open finder and open the folder "Post install" located at the root of USB boot disk.

Install Chameleon without option (they will be defined with Chameleon wizard later). Just select a theme to be display at first stage of the boot loader and do not forget to select your hackintosh disk as disk destination.

Install Kext Utility, Chameleon Wizard, DSDT Editor into Apps folder.

Lunch Kext Utility, enter your password and wait for finishing. The kernel cache is created. Go into the folder /Post Install/Extra/Extensions. Select all kext and drag them into Kext Utility interface. This will install theses kexts and recreate the Kernel Cache (used to fast up to boot process).

Copy DSDT.aml, SMBIOS.plist from Boot disk /Post install/ to mackintosh disk /Extra. I recommend you this two files as a first step and then create your own DSDT.aml later based on this post.

Create your own SSDT.aml as described here (script located into USB boot disk /Extra/scripts). Open a terminal (spotlight and enter terminal) go to the scripts folder (cd /Volumes/name of your boot disk/Post install/scripts) and type as example for my case: sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh 35 3200.
Open Finder and select go & go to & enter /tmp. Copy the file ssdt-pr.dsl to your desktop.
Start DSDT Editor open the file with file & open ssdt-pr.dsl and select IASL & Compile, close the diagnostics window & then click on IASL & save AML as & enter /Extra/SSDT.aml. The SSDT has a strong influence the CPU behavior. Create yours !

Keep your terminal open and patch RTC with the following command:
- cd /Volumes/name of your hackintosh disk/System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/
- sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' AppleRTC

Keep your terminal open and patch your AppleIntelCpuPowermanagement Kext :
- cd /Volumes/name of your boot disk/Post Install/scripts/AICPMPatch/
- sudo perl AICPMPatch.pl /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement --patch

Lunch Chameleon wizard, click on org.chameleon.boot and select the following options:
GUI for graphic user interface.
Time out to be set to 2 will let you 2 seconds before automatic boot.
Use Kernel Cache will speed up the boot process.
Generate P & C States for CPU PowerManagement.
Drop SSDT in order to use your own.

Lunch Multibeast and select this driver only:
This will install the driver of the wired network card, take care to install the driver into your hackintosh disk.

Start one more time Kext Utility to be sure to get an updated kernel cache.

Reboot without the USB disk & enjoy.

P.S.: I created the how to from my reminders. Some mistakes can be presents... I will correct the guide at each opportunity.
Work around:
- VGA not patched, forget it and use the display port which one perfectly works (use adaptor is needed).
- SD card reader doesn't work.
- Bluetooth not activated. I never use it before it could be possible to get it working.

Uptdate 1: Update to 10.8.2:
OemSMBIOS.kext blocks the boot process if AppleACPIPlatform.kext is not replaced by the one from my attached files (see post install link).
Update to 10.8.2.
reboot with -x, start Kext Utility then drag and drop patched AppleHDA.kext & AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Then reboot in normal way.

Update 2: New version of FakeSMC
FakeSMC4 rev627 ML Only
I have compiled this version for ML 64 bits 10.8.2.
Better estimation of the CPU ratio and frequency than the one I used before.

Update 3: Combo 10.8.3
After Combo installation, reboot with using -x as Chameleon option (safe boot)

Launch KextUtility, install Patched AppleHDA & Patched AppleACPIPlatform (the lastest 10.8.1 from Multibeast).
Remove VoodooBattery and install AppleSmartBattery from available here.

Reboot, this will solve boot problem, sound. & battery.

If no sound after these manipulations, check the selected output device in preferences --> sound.

Thanks to sot_33 & rugb for their findings

Update 4: imessages account
For those wanting to solve the login error.
Install packages here.
Update with the chameleon included in the archive & launch Chameleon Wizard. Be sure to select FileNVRAM.dylib
After the first restart, I suggest to remove the extension FileNVRAM.dylib. I am not sure about the complete effect on the system.

Update 5: 10.8.4 update
Install the Combo update.
Reboot with -x
Launch Kextutil & replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleHDA.kext & AppleSmartBatteryManagement for those using AppleACPIPlatform 10.8.1
Reboot & Enjoy
Last edited by fraisdos125 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 am, edited 48 times in total.

michaelbolton

Re: Mountain Lion X220

#2 Post by michaelbolton » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:36 am

Can you please post a detailed how to for noobs like myself. I got a x220 tablet which to be honest, I'm not happy with. I would like to see mac osx working on it which will tempt me to keep it. Cheers.

grassmudhorse

#3 Post by grassmudhorse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi, Fréd,

How do you solve the sound card issue? I just installed ML on my X220, but the AppleHDA.kext provided in your link does not seem to work on my x220. Does that work on yours?

Thanks!

fraisdos125

#4 Post by fraisdos125 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:58 am

Hi grassmudhorse,

I didn't solve the sound issue cause I didn't get it ;-)

I use the patched AppleHDA.kext from the link and do not forget to patch the DSDT as mentioned as well.

Files are available at this link:
http://dl.free.fr/k3f6snIea

FI:
I put all needed kexts in S/L/E, use kext utility in order to create the kernel cache, and then enjoy a fast boot by using userkernelcache option set to yes.

Michaelbolton,

I will create a simple step by step how to in few days or take a flight to Australia ;-)

Cheers

ducamie

#5 Post by ducamie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:06 am

fraisdos125 wrote:Hi grassmudhorse,

I didn't solve the sound issue cause I didn't get it ;-)

I use the patched AppleHDA.kext from the link and do not forget to patch the DSDT as mentioned as well.

Files are available at this link:
http://dl.free.fr/k3f6snIea

FI:
I put all needed kexts in S/L/E, use kext utility in order to create the kernel cache, and then enjoy a fast boot by using userkernelcache option set to yes.

Michaelbolton,

I will create a simple step by step how to in few days or take a flight to Australia ;-)

Cheers
I would really appreciate a tutorial also :)

unless you want to take a flight to ireland too :o

superkhung

#6 Post by superkhung » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:20 am

Here's what i've used base on this tutorial viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098
Download my files here

1. Make an ML installation usb with MBR patched, copy Extra-USB to installation usb and rename it to Extra
2. Install ML from usb (use MBR partition)
3. Copy Extra-MAC to installed ML disk and rename to Extra
4. Replace SSDT.aml with SSDT that match your CPU model (my SSDT.aml generated for i5-2430M). You can find out how to create ssdt for your cpu here
5. Install all kext in my Kext folder, fix permission, reboot and enjoy.

ducamie

Re: Mountain Lion on X220

#7 Post by ducamie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:21 pm

thankyou so much fraisdos125 and superkhung

posting from my mountain lion x220 :D

flzyup

#8 Post by flzyup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 am

Hi, I also installed the ML in my X220, with the correct SSDT.aml for i5-2410 cpu. Now the sleep work, But i Use dsdt.aml from superkhung, the audio card still not work, should i mod this file or not?I didn't mod this file. The device also is Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD. How should i fix the audio, please help me. Thanks a lot

fraisdos125

#9 Post by fraisdos125 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Which AppleHDA.kext do you use ?
The one from my included files or the org one ?

The DSDT you are using has been patched for Audio ?
In the doubt try mine.

Fréd

flzyup

#10 Post by flzyup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:23 pm

I was using the one from superkhung. So I should try the one from you. I cheched both dsdt.aml from you and him .both were patched. Should I patched again and how? I looked the tutorial you mentioned,all the code were mod. Should I make some changes?

flzyup

#11 Post by flzyup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm

I tried several minutes ago use the one "http://dl.free.fr/k3f6snIea", I don't know how to patch the dsdt.aml. I checked the aml, you patched almost as the post you mentioned. Should I patch which section to let the audio work? Please help. Thanks

flzyup

#12 Post by flzyup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't know how to upload the attachment, this is the dsdt.aml: http://rom.ligux.com/acpi_dsdt.aml i exported from my notebook, please help me to patch it. Thanks a lot.

flzyup

#13 Post by flzyup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks a lot, i fixed it, after I move the kext from E/E to S/L/E and repair, both sound and battery works. Cool. Very great

fraisdos125

#14 Post by fraisdos125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 am

Good, with Mountain Lion don't forget that all kexts have to be placed into /S/L/E and not any more in /E/E.
I use E/E only for modified kexts backup.

Simple way to install any kexts into /S/L/E : use kext Utility !

flzyup

#15 Post by flzyup » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:03 am

fraisdos125 wrote:Good, with Mountain Lion don't forget that all kexts have to be placed into /S/L/E and not any more in /E/E.
I use E/E only for modified kexts backup.

Simple way to install any kexts into /S/L/E : use kext Utility !
Cool, thanks any way. And I began to use ML in x220 serveral days ago and not so sure about the difference of /E/E and /S/L/E. I though they were same, but actually they are different.

fraisdos125

#16 Post by fraisdos125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 am

In the past, before LION, /E/E was used as first kexts to be loaded.

That's not anymore the case. All kexts are loaded from /S/L/E.
Something not really clear for me, it seems that sometimes some kexts are loaded from /E/E.

In the doubt always use Kext Utility and drag and drop the kext you want to install to. You will be sure to get a backup of the current one (if there is one in /S/L/E), get an updated the kernel cache and at the next boot the kext will be loaded.

superkhung

#17 Post by superkhung » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Just updated to 10.8.2, need to reinstall patched AppleHDA.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext for sound and battery to work.
Everything else work find.

flzyup

#18 Post by flzyup » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:12 am

fraisdos125 wrote:In the past, before LION, /E/E was used as first kexts to be loaded.

That's not anymore the case. All kexts are loaded from /S/L/E.
Something not really clear for me, it seems that sometimes some kexts are loaded from /E/E.

In the doubt always use Kext Utility and drag and drop the kext you want to install to. You will be sure to get a backup of the current one (if there is one in /S/L/E), get an updated the kernel cache and at the next boot the kext will be loaded.
Yeah,maybe the /S/L/E has high priority than /E/E

flzyup

#19 Post by flzyup » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:14 am

superkhung wrote:Just updated to 10.8.2, need to reinstall patched AppleHDA.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext for sound and battery to work.
Everything else work find.
I also updated to the 10.8.2, re-install the kexts and they worked too~

tritoan

#20 Post by tritoan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:01 am

Help Me!
Dear fraisdos125!

I installed Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on my X220
Step by step like your post.
But:

My hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M Sandy Bridge
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000
HDD: HITACHI 320 GB
Ethernet Card: Intel 82579LM
Audio: Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD
Card Reader: Ricoh R5C822

Myfile: dsdt.aml, ssdt.aml

Compile dsdt error.
Show me, how to fix it.
Many thanks!

fraisdos125

#21 Post by fraisdos125 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 am

Tritoan,

When do you get this message ?

If this is during the first boot with usb install disk, try that:
- unplug and plug your usb disk in the same usb port.
- if not solved, did you install fakesmc and their plugins ? If not do it.
- if not solved, reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform provided in the "Post install" archive (this first post).

If you get this after first install:
- did you install fakesmc and their plugins ? If not do it.
- if not solved, reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform provided in the "Post install" archive (this first post).

If you get this after update:
- reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform provided in the "Post install" archive (this first post).

I am not sure that fakesmc will help a lot, as the purpose of fakesmc is indeed to provide access to monitoring. But in the doubt.

tritoan

#22 Post by tritoan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Fraisdos125,

Thanks for help!

This message, when I completed all step.
I've been backup the S/L/E before the update from "Post Install" folder.
Today, I'll try again and report later! :)

hackinmac

#23 Post by hackinmac » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:33 pm

First, thanks sooo much to fraisdos125 and superkhung, spend many many hours trying to get this to work using different methods, and only yours combined worked.

tritoan: I had the exact same problem (i think) followed all instruction, intial boot was fine, but then after doing all the post install steps I got that same error at boot. superkhung post fixed it for me. did you follow his post? Just do step 3,4, and 5. (step 1 and 2 is already done from fraisdos's post). Use kext utility for step 5.

EDIT: Also, it might be simpler if you use 10.8.0 instead of 10.8.2

Good luck!

tritoan

#24 Post by tritoan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Hackinmac,

It's OK. thanks a lot!

ML 10.8.2 worked! Cool! thanks all! :banana:

bartenderck

#25 Post by bartenderck » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 am

Is there a more detailed way to make a USB boot disk? I have tried twice and seem to not be able to boot. I hit F12 and select my USB drive and nothing happens it just prompts me to select a device again. Thanks!

hackinmac

#26 Post by hackinmac » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 am

Did you make sure to choose MBR in disk utility?

bartenderck

#27 Post by bartenderck » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Yes. When I restore the one volume it converts te drive to Mac journalized. I even tried to just copy and paste to a MS Dos FAT formatted drive.

hackinmac

#28 Post by hackinmac » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, reinstalled windows and its working fine now, must have had some drivers conflicts.

For those of you dual booting with windows, what drivers are you using for the DW 1515? I can't seem to get it working in windows (works fine in OSX).

yanlusu

#29 Post by yanlusu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:13 am

Great Job!
Thanks.
My X220i working fine with your attachments!

Coilvect

#30 Post by Coilvect » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Hey guys I got ML to work although the ONLY problem I came across is my UltraNav isnt working, i've tried the ThinkPadUltraNav.kext and a couple of other methods. Should I remove the PS2controler.kext? Any help would be greatly appreciated.