Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Need ThinkPad details quickly when away from your desk ?

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
ConfiguratorHelp

Need ThinkPad details quickly when away from your desk ?

#1 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 pm

Sometimes you come across on a ThinkPad model and want to know what the specs are, but you have no access to your normal sources. If you still have an old Palm Pilot around that uses the Palm OS, this may be a way to put it to use again. Get a copy of the PC Sales Guide/Configurator, and the instructions on how to use it from this link.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=104234

One of the lesser functions it comes with will generate a PDB file, containing not only Lenovo notebook partnumbers, but their prices, and extended descriptions. Copy the PDB you generate and the PRICER.PRC file included with the Configurator to your Palm, and you now have a portable database in a pocket for notebooks specs, when on the road.

Product content goes from today back to those models current as of 2010/01. Older models can be added, on request.

Thinkpad Lover
BANNED

Re: Need ThinkPad details quickly when away from your desk ?

#2 Post by Thinkpad Lover » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 am

Hi.

This sounds interesting. At least the ability to generate PDB (database) files with part #'s and descriptions. I have about a dozen old Palm Pilots lying around but first I would like to try this on a Palm Centro cell phone. When I have time I would like to download your program + instructions, execute it and generate a PDB file. I will hot sync the PDB file and PRICER.PRC reader program you mention and see how this works. If this is an expandable/configurable database which you are so kind as to update on a monthly basis ? then there are many possible uses. Could be a great time saver for someone like me who is constantly checking part numbers, laptop specs, etc. and sometimes frustrated with Lenovo's slow, inefficient, incomplete and sometimes malfunctioning website. I guess the pricing info. could also prove handy. Having an offline database at the touch of my fingertips for some of the info. I frequently reference could prove handy.

When I have some time I will try this and report back when I have a chance. I am especially interested in the possibility of adding info. about older models to the database.

Daniel.
240, 380Z, 390X, 570E, 600x, 701C("The ButterFly"), 770, A20...22,31, G40,41,
R32,40,50,51,52, R60,61, SL410/510,T20...23,30,40...43, T60p UXGA,T61,T400,
TransNote, X20..24,31,40,X41T,X60,61,X60/61T, Z61t, W500

No PM's please. MY email [tigerinspring1@aol.com]

ConfiguratorHelp

#3 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Daniel, please accept my profound apologies I did not reply earlier. I thought I had this set to notify me of any replies. I only happened to check it just now. I am at your service, if you need anything. If you don't want to get the database generator itself, I can easily create a database for your Android phone, but the number of current Lenovo products means the PDB files (if they contain the extremely useful extended descriptions) are quite probably bigger than will fit on a Palm. That is why we moved to Android devices, and of course, next in plan are BlackBerry, then either BlackBerry PlayBook or iPhones. The PC Sales Guide/Configurator is available in English, French and German, so that covers a number of countries, although it is curious that I can only find European prices for about 10% of the content that Canada and the US have. If you get a copy of that (updated at least once a month with new products and withdrawals) then you can create personalised databases.

In any case, let me know what I can do to help, and I will make SURE I tick the box to be notified of any replies.

ConfiguratorHelp

#4 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am

OK, for those who have a BlackBerry smart phone, the BB version of the Android app is now available. The Android version has been updated, as has the BB version, with a new feature, multi-search. Prior to this, it would search for a single string - e.g. 320GB, or perhaps i5-2400S, etc. Now you can separate strings with a comma, like this....

320gb, i5-2400s, fingerprint

and the app will locate any and all systems with all three values in their extended descriptions. Go to the following web site and search for Lenovo.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/

and download the BB version of LenovoLookup. The PC Sales Guide/Configurator web site mentioned earlier has two databases with really old models, so you can look up detailed specs on obsolete PC system units. Or you can get a current copy of the PSCFG tool yourself, and create one or many databases in whatever language you prefer, and whatever current products and prices.

ConfiguratorHelp

#5 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 am

For those who do not have either a BlackBerry or Android smart phone, but might like to see what the LenovoLook app does, there are screen captures posted

www.pscfg.com/android.htm

Depending on revenue generated ($1 for the app) the next version will probably be for Apple iPhones/iPads.

ConfiguratorHelp

#6 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:09 am

To assist those who choose not to install the PC Sales Guide/Configurator on their own PC, but who would still like to try out a database with the LenovoLook app for Android/BlackBerry smart phones, there is now a sample database of current U.S. ThinkPad models available at www.pscfg.com/downloads.htm

Get a copy of the app, then copy the PDB file to your phone or Android tablet.

Price and supply values come from a U.S. Business Partner, and each model includes the extended description. You can search either by a full or partial partnumber, or if you mark the "Description" box, you can enter one or many text strings you would typically find in the extended description. For example, 3667,128 ssd will look for ThinkPad models with the i7-3667U processor and a 128 GB SSD. You will get about 10 hits, and if you mark one of them, then click on the Show button, you will get

TP X1 Carbon 2.00T 4GB/128 SSD MR 14.0 Cam BT W7 Pro 64
Name: ThinkPad X1 Carbon
Type: TopSeller
Case: Carbon, Aluminum/Magnesium
Announced: 2012/08
Display: 14.0" HD+
Resolution: 1600x900
Camera: 720p
Weight: 3 lbs/1.4 kg
Processor: Intel Core i7-3667U
2.00/3.20 GHz dual core
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Chipset: Intel QS77
Hard Disk: 128GB, Solid State Device
Lenovo Cloud Storage
Optical Drive: none
RAM Type: PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMM
RAM Sockets Total(Free): 0 (0)
RAM Std/Max: 4 GB/8 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
Audio: High definition, Dolby
Speakers: 2 internal
Battery/Life Hrs: 4 Cell (45.8Wh)
up to 8.2 Hrs
Network: none
Wireless: Intel 802.11 a/b/g/n
with Centrino Advanced N
WWAN: None
Modem: No
Bluetooth: Yes, 4.0
Multi-card Reader - SD, SDHC,
SDXC, MMC,
Security: Embedded, vPro and
Fingerprint reader
Intel AMT (Active Mgmnt Technology)
Pointing Device: TrackPoint+UltraNav
Keyboard: full-size, backlit
Ports: 3 USB
Preload: Windows 7 Pro 64
MS Office 2010
Product Key Req'd
Energy Star 5.2
Warranty: Depot Repair,
3 year parts/labor
1 year battery

You can always create your own databases for the app. ThinkCentres, IdeaCentres, IdeaPads, SL/Edge models, ThinkStations, ThinkServers, Option families, etc. If you get the French or German version, the extended description shown above will be in those languages, and the models and partnumbers will be those announced in those countries.

ConfiguratorHelp

#7 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:54 am

Another enhancement has been added to the free LenovoLook tool. I have always been concerned about field upgrades to memory, in cases where you have to remove one or more of the base/standard modules, to make room for larger modules. The question arises as to what to do with the removed parts. Some help is now available when using LenovoLook, the app for Android devices and selected BlackBerry smart phones. Effective 2015/04/24, the sample databases posted at www.pscfg.com/downloads.htm have a revised description for the memory sockets. Of course, if you download the PC Sales Guide/Configurator tool after that date to create your own databases, they too will have the same capability.

The old way of describing memory sockets was "Total/Free (x) (y)". I have changed that to "Sockets: Total (x), Open (y)". This means you can now search a database like one of the samples (US-Thinkpads.pdb) for either a machine type or model as follows....e450,open (1) and it will locate all current ThinkPad E450 models with ONE open memory socket. Note the comma used to separate the two search strings. If you use the German or French versions the word "open" is replaced by "frei" and "libre" respectively.

This will help you find a home for any modules you removed from your E450, to make room for bigger memory modules. This of course will not work if there are TWO OR MORE open sockets - you would have to use "open (2)" etc. - so I am considering doing another database rework to say something like "Open-Yes (x)" which would find ANY models with any number of open sockets. Of course there would be some where it would be "Open-None". Customer interest will as usual determine if I undertake this extra work, given there are 15,400 system units in the database that will have to be addressed. Let me know.

Coming soon is a related database for LenovoLook, called the Lenovo MultiTool, where if you enter the FRU number of the removed part, it will

(a) tell you the marketing equivalent
(b) list the machine types/models which support that marketing part
(c) even give you a list of all the supported options for any given machine type in the database

after which you could use this new search function for models with an open socket to find a home for the removed FRU.

ConfiguratorHelp

#8 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:33 am

The LenovoLook app for Android devices and selected BlackBerry smart phones has been upgraded as regards the issue of open memory sockets. Once you have installed LenovoLook (free) and you have installed a sample database (US-Thinkpads) you can now use the new, improved text string open-yes. This will pull up all the systems with at least one open memory socket. For example, you can enter x140,open-yes and it will locate all x140 models with at least one open memory socket. This will help you find a home for orphan memory modules removed as party of a field upgrade. Of course, if any of these 'hits' has had a field upgrade of memory, then the database won't know that.

ConfiguratorHelp

#9 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:59 pm

The latest version of LenovoLook Pro automatically downloads three databases - US ThinkPads, DE ThinkPads (Germany/Austria) and FR ThinkPads (France) with the last two using the local language to describe each model. It supports multi-search.......search for ssd+quad core+finger....tick the Description box, and press FIND. It will locate all current ThinkPads with an SSD, quad core processor, and fingerprint recognition.

ConfiguratorHelp

#10 Post by ConfiguratorHelp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 am

This post is subject to moderator approval. The free Android app LenovoLook Pro has been updated one last time. Instead of just three ThinkPad databases (US, German and French) it now auto-installs eleven files with most of the Lenovo product line. One file is the FRU to Marketing Cross Reference. Each database, when installed, contains a small "help" file on how to use the app. Search for the work "manual".

New news is that I have exhausted my passion for assisting Lenovo for free, and especially my personal funds to pay the programmer who wrote LenovoLook Pro for me. I have started www.gofundme.com/lenovolookpro for those who like the idea, but have an iPhone or iPad. Any donations will go towards paying the programmer to port the app to that operating environment. The target is $2500 Cdn.

leona2101

#11 Post by leona2101 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:06 am

ConfiguratorHelp wrote:For those who do not have either a BlackBerry or Android smart phone, but might like to see what the LenovoLook app does, there are screen captures posted
cdg paris transfer
Depending on revenue generated ($1 for the app) the next version will probably be for Apple iPhones/iPads.
Hello,
Thank you very much for the information!
But some images do not display correctly in the links!