Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Fastest WWAN Card for X230?

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Carthik

Fastest WWAN Card for X230?

#1 Post by Carthik » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:03 am

I'm in the market for a WWAN card for my X230, I'm in Toronto, Canada so I want to take advantage of the fastest cards available. Based on my understanding there is a "whitelist" that limits my choices via the bios.

Where would one find this whitelist?

Of the cards on this "whitelist", which ones allow the fastest speeds?

Are there "whitelisted" cards that are as fast as current WWAN technology's capability?

I think I'm almost out of warranty, are systems running reliably with bios hacks to allow non-whitelisted cards? (I want to run an X220 keyboard with full funtion as well, so am considering a hacked bios once again)

Thanks,

Carthik
ThinkPad X220
i7-2640M CPU
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
1TB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA SSD
2TB Samsung Sinpoint HDD
Option GTM671W WiFi/WWAN Card
LP125WH2-SLB3 LG IPS LCD
7.69Ah 9-Cell X230 44++ Battery
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

bill bolton
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Fastest WWAN Card for X230?

#2 Post by bill bolton » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Carthik wrote:Where would one find this whitelist?
The list of Lenovo supplied cards that will work in an X230 can be found the the Hardware Maintenance manual (HMM) for that model, on the Lenovo web site.
Of the cards on this "whitelist", which ones allow the fastest speeds?
Probably the Ericsson 5521 card - it will support HSPA-DC operation (provided your ISP offers it).

Frankly, if you after the fastest speed possible you need to determine what that means for the areas that you are mostly using WWAN in, and you may need to use an external dongle. The ISP service offerings in a particular area may be in well in advance of the available support from internal WWAN cards.

In my area, I can get 4G/LTE services on the 1800Mhz band which are not yet support by any WWAN internal card vendor, so I just use a Sierra USB WWAN device that does support those services.
I think I'm almost out of warranty, are systems running reliably with bios hacks to allow non-whitelisted cards? (I want to run an X220 keyboard with full funtion as well, so am considering a hacked bios once again)
No hacked Bios for the X230 as far as I'm aware, and no solution for using a different keyboard either.

Cheers,

Bill B.