Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Megavvolt
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#1 Post by Megavvolt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:51 pm

x61 LCD back covers are so ridiculously expensive I figured I'd get a cheaper new x60 cover (41V9718) for my x61 T9300 - after all, I can live with x2 wifi antennas.

Could someone help me out with a FRU for a 3G antenna that would fit 41V9718 (because 93P4543 definitely doesn't)?

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#2 Post by RMSMajestic » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:01 pm

X61 LCD back covers are expensive, but the biggest problem is the refurbished ones from China....
I don't mind spending $80 on a NIB X61 LCD back cover, but till now, I've not found one that I can be 100% sure it's new and original

Off topic, I think those FRUs will do, 91P6976, 93P4388, 93P4310

But you need to make sure it will work on the frequency of your ISP

Also FYI, the rod antenna on X61 is not as good as the 3G antenna on X200, X301 and T400, despite looking fancy. And the 3G antenna on X60 is even poorer
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

Megavvolt
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#3 Post by Megavvolt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you! So do you think something like that http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-X201-X2 ... 19efe9e8b9 glued inside the lid instead of the x60 antenna would be abetter choice?

FryPpy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#4 Post by FryPpy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:11 am

Megavvolt wrote:Thank you! So do you think something like that http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IBM-X201-X2 ... 19efe9e8b9 glued inside the lid instead of the x60 antenna would be abetter choice?
I don't think so. X6x's Mg lid will absorb some signals for internal antennas (from almost every directions). So they made external WiFi and WWAN antennas for better reception.

BTW
One day in the past i've got X60 with 3nd WiFi antenna. I thout it is broken rode WWAN antenna but it is normal 3nd antenna with atheros 802.11n inside bento box;)

Megavvolt
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#5 Post by Megavvolt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:48 pm

FryPpy wrote:
Megavvolt wrote: I don't think so. X6x's Mg lid will absorb some signals for internal antennas (from almost every directions). So they made external WiFi and WWAN antennas for better reception.
Well let's wait and see what RMSMajestic has to say. The way I see it, x200 lid is magnesium with plastic inserts for wifi and 3g antennas, and if x200 3G antenna is better then why not try to use it in x60?

Question is, will there be enough room to fit it in...

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#6 Post by RMSMajestic » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Guys, don't start an argument here,
personally speaking, I think the X61's antenna sux, despite looking cool. It's not that the Mg lid blocks much signals (if you put your cellphone under the lid it can still receive signals), admit it, it's weak.
I think the main reason they make the WWAN antenna external is lack of space.
Having some replacement antennas under palmrest is an acceptable option..... If you are not an antenna die hard like me :/
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

andykrej
Freshman Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#7 Post by andykrej » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 am

RMSMajestic:

what is your recommendation for optimal WLAN and WWAN antennas in X61s?
I have a Sierra MC7710 and Intel AC7260. I don't think the standard antennas suck, but I'm always interested in better performance.

Writing this, I'm roaming from a car driving through the swedish forests. I'm connected to my workstation through RDP, and it works fine with only a few dropouts.
X62s / SXGA+ Xiphmont / i7-5500u / Samsung 840 pro/ 16GB
T61 / QXGA IPS / 2.4GHz / 8GB

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#8 Post by RMSMajestic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

andykrej wrote:RMSMajestic:

what is your recommendation for optimal WLAN and WWAN antennas in X61s?
I have a Sierra MC7710 and Intel AC7260. I don't think the standard antennas suck, but I'm always interested in better performance.

Writing this, I'm roaming from a car driving through the swedish forests. I'm connected to my workstation through RDP, and it works fine with only a few dropouts.
There isn't another choice..... X61 doesn't have enough space
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

Bibin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:07 am
Location: Brooklyn, New York

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#9 Post by Bibin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:52 pm

For what it's worth I got an X60 lid to put in my X61 (without WWAN antenna) and for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to fit right.
Give your T43/T43p/R52/X41 the SATA it deserves! http://mikejmoffitt.com/sata

andykrej
Freshman Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:28 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#10 Post by andykrej » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:15 pm

RMSMajestic wrote:
andykrej wrote:RMSMajestic:

what is your recommendation for optimal WLAN and WWAN antennas in X61s?
I have a Sierra MC7710 and Intel AC7260. I don't think the standard antennas suck, but I'm always interested in better performance.

Writing this, I'm roaming from a car driving through the swedish forests. I'm connected to my workstation through RDP, and it works fine with only a few dropouts.
There isn't another choice..... X61 doesn't have enough space
But I understand from your previous post, that the X200 antennas (or just one them) in the palmrest will be a better solution than just the rod antenna by itself. Can you confirm this?

And which of the X2xx series has the best WWAN antennas? I might go for one og those modded X220 with full hd IPS.
X62s / SXGA+ Xiphmont / i7-5500u / Samsung 840 pro/ 16GB
T61 / QXGA IPS / 2.4GHz / 8GB

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: Which 3G antenna for a 41V9718 cover?

#11 Post by RMSMajestic » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm

andykrej wrote:
But I understand from your previous post, that the X200 antennas (or just one them) in the palmrest will be a better solution than just the rod antenna by itself. Can you confirm this?

And which of the X2xx series has the best WWAN antennas? I might go for one og those modded X220 with full hd IPS.
Yes, but that's for X60/X60s/X61 without the secondary fan.... otherwise there is no enough space inside palmrest
Personal experience: X301 has the best signal, follows by X200/X201/T400/W500 and all newer thinkpads.
Obviously it's just my personal experience ;)
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Thinkpad X6x Series incl. X6x Tablet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests