Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Classic theme on Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Powerplayer
Freshman Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8

#421 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:45 am

rn10950 wrote:
maur0 wrote:one doubt question for fix firefox on classic theme

for 64-bit firefox run perfect with dwmapi.dll in same folder
but for 32-bit firefox not work, (tested dwmapi.dll copied to system32 (32-bit but not work to)
what file i use for firefox 32-bit to run perfect?
For the 32-bit version of Firefox, you must copy the 32-bit version of dwmapi.dll. You can find that in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\
or use this microfox mod http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 1911294014 with classic theme restorer (solves problems in 8.0)

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#422 Post by Powerplayer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 pm

http://www.calmira.net/

Why not ask the dev to help us fix classictheme or maybe take parts from opensource calmira and add to classictheme?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#423 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Powerplayer wrote:http://www.calmira.net/

Why not ask the dev to help us fix classictheme or maybe take parts from opensource calmira and add to classictheme?
Well the Classic Theme isn't even broken, so why would we need someone to fix it? (I assume you mean the taskbar and other such features which aren't compatible with it...)

Anixx
Freshman Member

#424 Post by Anixx » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:19 am

Somebody may be interested that we found two ways of making icons 32px with labels below:

http://storage5.static.itmages.ru/i/16/ ... f9d482.png

One of the ways is as follows.

1. Install Folder Options X and check "disable auto-arrange".

2. Set icon size to 32px or below

3. Run this AHK script

Code: Select all

#NoTrayIcon
#NoEnv
Gui +LastFound
hWnd := WinExist()
SetControlDelay, -1
SetBatchLines -1

DllCall( "RegisterShellHookWindow", UInt,hWnd )
MsgNum := DllCall( "RegisterWindowMessage", Str,"SHELLHOOK" )
OnMessage( MsgNum, "ShellMessage" )
Return

ShellMessage(wParam,lParam) {
   If (wParam = 1  or wParam = 6) ;  HSHELL_WINDOWCREATED := 1
   {

WinGetClass, WinClass, ahk_id %lParam%
if (WinClass = "CabinetWClass") {

SendMessage, 0x108F,,,SysListView321, ahk_id %lParam%

If (ErrorLevel=0x2){

Control, Style, +0x2, SysListView321, ahk_id %lParam%
Control, Style, -0x2, SysListView321, ahk_id %lParam%

}

}

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#425 Post by Powerplayer » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:52 am

Splitwirez wrote:
Powerplayer wrote:http://www.calmira.net/

Well the Classic Theme isn't even broken, so why would we need someone to fix it? (I assume you mean the taskbar and other such features which aren't compatible with it...)

thanks to process explorer i was able to locate shcore.dll as soon as i kill that thread the taskbar is gone while everything remains intact , maybe we need shcore replacement?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#426 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
Splitwirez wrote: Well the Classic Theme isn't even broken, so why would we need someone to fix it? (I assume you mean the taskbar and other such features which aren't compatible with it...)

thanks to process explorer i was able to locate shcore.dll as soon as i kill that thread the taskbar is gone while everything remains intact , maybe we need shcore replacement?
Hmm...maybe?

BTW, I should note that earlier today, I had to fix my grandmother's computer, which had Windows 10 on it. I was able to do so by enabling autologon and replacing DWM with a dummy version, made for Windows 8.1 . I'm bringing this up because it lead me to conclude that when Visual Styles are disabled, Windows 10's taskbar is a lot more functional with DWM also disabled than with it running. Heck, it even kinda sorta looks Classic-ish...though the center portion and all the buttons are still hideously flat. It has a Classic-esque frame around it, though ._.

Anywaves, interesting discovery, Powerplayer. I'll see if I can get anywhere with that... >:3 (It's about time I started doing something for this project again, even if it's someone else's idea :lol: )

Ugh...I need to get Process Explorer ._.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#427 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Ehm...folks? Remember how it was supposedly illegal to do anything with the Windows NT 4 source code?

Just found this on BetaArchive: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 61&t=33250

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#428 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 pm

...and for the immersive context menu problem, this: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170375- ... 17/page-22

(My Windows 10 VM is now toast, so if someone could please try this...)

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#429 Post by Powerplayer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Splitwirez wrote:Ehm...folks? Remember how it was supposedly illegal to do anything with the Windows NT 4 source code?

Just found this on BetaArchive: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 61&t=33250

I want that gui for windows 10 can it be tweaked over? , better then this metrocrap and awesome for gaming

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#430 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:49 am

Powerplayer wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:Ehm...folks? Remember how it was supposedly illegal to do anything with the Windows NT 4 source code?

I want that gui for windows 10 can it be tweaked over? , better then this metrocrap and awesome for gaming
I don't know. I was just saying that we might be able to legally use the NT 4 source code as a base for a new explorer shell. I don't know if anyone here has the skills to do it, but IMO it could be worth a shot.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#431 Post by Powerplayer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Splitwirez wrote:
Powerplayer wrote:

I don't know. I was just saying that we might be able to legally use the NT 4 source code as a base for a new explorer shell. I don't know if anyone here has the skills to do it, but IMO it could be worth a shot.
Winnt code is the best explorer fix because we get back logon box functionality and dont need start screen which makes windows os boot faster also we dont need many of the current bloated dlls and get rid of the internet explorer integration which is a good thing
the coder who ports this need to redirect the profile folder "winnt\profiles to the current users folder for making it work but then parts of the explorer need to be compatible with system properties (or maybe it is already) since it hasnt changed much it is a good idea overall just manually overwrite all those broken systemfiles in windows 10 and turn it into a good os , our screensavers may finally work again among other things but still run directx 12 :D

No more dwm no more memory munching metro just a lean ui.
Spitwirez i tried unsuccessfully to make an account on that site cuz i was trying to get some people to help in doing that , could u ask a few buddies of yours if they can port that nt4 gui with classic logon to windows 10?

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#432 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Hello everyone. I must aploligize for my inactivity lately, but I'll fill you guys in on why I haven't been posting as much. My hard drive recently died, so I had to get a replacment. Since I'm having trouble installing Windows on here, I've been running Linux Mint for the past month or so. While my plan is to install Windows 7 on here, I still want to be involved in this project. I'll look into possibly tripple-botting Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux on this machine so I can still test stuff. At the very least, I'd like to run a Windows 10 VM when I'm able (which is what I'll probably end up doing, tbh).

I've also started school, and as I mentioned before I'm taking an introduction to programming class. But don't expect me to be able to develop for this project anytime soon, as I am only learning things now, and we are learning Python. In case you don't know, Python is a good starting/learning language, but it seems to be much more Linux-friendly. My plan is to eventually learn C++, and then I'll look into developing for this once I get some experience.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself. I just thought I'd let everyone know what I've been up to lately.

Now to get back on topic. I have done a little bit of messing around with OpenNT, and I even installed it in a virtual machine once. It's pretty functional, although its shell is still identical to NT4's shell. It would require a lot of work to impliment modern Windows features into it.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#433 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Hello everyone. I must aploligize for my inactivity lately, but I'll fill you guys in on why I haven't been posting as much. My hard drive recently died, so I had to get a replacment. Since I'm having trouble installing Windows on here, I've been running Linux Mint for the past month or so. While my plan is to install Windows 7 on here, I still want to be involved in this project. I'll look into possibly tripple-botting Windows 7, Windows 10, and Linux on this machine so I can still test stuff. At the very least, I'd like to run a Windows 10 VM when I'm able (which is what I'll probably end up doing, tbh).

I've also started school, and as I mentioned before I'm taking an introduction to programming class. But don't expect me to be able to develop for this project anytime soon, as I am only learning things now, and we are learning Python. In case you don't know, Python is a good starting/learning language, but it seems to be much more Linux-friendly. My plan is to eventually learn C++, and then I'll look into developing for this once I get some experience.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on about myself. I just thought I'd let everyone know what I've been up to lately.

Now to get back on topic. I have done a little bit of messing around with OpenNT, and I even installed it in a virtual machine once. It's pretty functional, although its shell is still identical to NT4's shell. It would require a lot of work to impliment modern Windows features into it.
Geez...that must really sting...

...nonetheless, thanks for the clarification about your AWOLness :lol: (And best of luck getting SOME KIND of Windozer installed on that thing :lol: )

Anywaves...I never said it would be easy to get NT 4's shell to be a proper replacement modern Windows shells, just that OpenNT proved that it might be legal.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#434 Post by Powerplayer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote: Now to get back on topic. I have done a little bit of messing around with OpenNT, and I even installed it in a virtual machine once. It's pretty functional, although its shell is still identical to NT4's shell. It would require a lot of work to impliment modern Windows features into it.
there was a guy with a hex editor that ported nt4 shell on xp back in the day , he hexedited the locations to match xp's i was impressed the system ran flawlessly even though it was only an explorer.exe shell32 project , perhaps someone here with small compiling skills could do the same for opennt explorer and shell32

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#435 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Especially since I'm going to have to pay at least $500 for data recovery! But the good news is I am running Windows 7 now, so I can look into running Windows 10 in a VM.

OpenNT could be something to look into. Like I said, I have messed around with it a little bit before, and it does work pretty well. I think it would still be smart to look into the legality of all this. My guess would be that MS just hasn't taken notice of this yet. But if we find out it would be safe to port the NT4 shell, then why not.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#436 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:30 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Especially since I'm going to have to pay at least $500 for data recovery! But the good news is I am running Windows 7 now, so I can look into running Windows 10 in a VM.

OpenNT could be something to look into. Like I said, I have messed around with it a little bit before, and it does work pretty well. I think it would still be smart to look into the legality of all this. My guess would be that MS just hasn't taken notice of this yet. But if we find out it would be safe to port the NT4 shell, then why not.
Fair point, best to make sure of it.

Also, I should note that if we can't port the NT 4 shell, I feel that Longhorn may be of use, for several reasons...

Firstly, it's abandonware, so as long as we aren't distributing an entire OS image, we should be safe.

Secondly, some builds are atleast partially .NET-based (*COUGH*4074 glass taskbar*COUGH*), which (AFAIK) could be easier to decompile than a regular non-.NET explorer. Also, the taskbar specifically is known to be .NET-based in the insanely overrepresented build, 4074 .

Thirdly, if that doesn't work, someone ported build 3683's explorer to Windows XP. And here's the important part about this port: IT KINDA SORTA WORKS FOR ABOUT HALF A SECOND ON WINDOWS 8.1, AND IT SEEMS TRAY ICONS WORK. It generates a taskbar for a split second. Then ofc, the whole thing goes completely insane, makes every Window on the screen spontaneously attempt to do a jiggle physics impression while overdosed on sugar or something, and then just...exits. BUT IT ACTUALLY GENERATES A TASKBAR. WITH TRAY ICONS.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#437 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Splitwirez wrote:BUT IT ACTUALLY GENERATES A TASKBAR. WITH TRAY ICONS.

Yes then classictheme could kill shcore.dll after fully loaded and run the nt taskbar and context menus in next update as threads to explorer right?

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#438 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:10 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Yeah, it's pretty annoying. Especially since I'm going to have to pay at least $500 for data recovery!
Why recover data? if os not booting you can log in from a windows to go hd or bartpe drive and just copy stuff over?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#439 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:18 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:BUT IT ACTUALLY GENERATES A TASKBAR. WITH TRAY ICONS.

Yes then classictheme could kill shcore.dll after fully loaded and run the nt taskbar and context menus in next update as threads to explorer right?
No, I meant the ported Longhorn explorer did that.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#440 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:29 am

Powerplayer wrote:Why recover data? if os not booting you can log in from a windows to go hd or bartpe drive and just copy stuff over?
No, it's not just that it's not booting. The drive is physically damaged, meaning that it is completely unbootable and unreadable.

kensiko

#441 Post by kensiko » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:49 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote:
Powerplayer wrote:Why recover data? if os not booting you can log in from a windows to go hd or bartpe drive and just copy stuff over?
No, it's not just that it's not booting. The drive is physically damaged, meaning that it is completely unbootable and unreadable.
As a power user, he probably knows what he's doing ;)

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#442 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:24 am

Using the Longhorn shell does sound interesting imo (as long as we were to make it a little bit more customizable that it is out of the box, even though it did still have a lot of really cool features). Splitwirez, what would you say is the most reliable/stable build of Longhorn? I'd assume some of the earlier builds, but it seems like a lot of people love 4074. I've done some messing with an earlier 3xxx build (can't remember which one, but it did have the Plex theme), 4015, 4039 (I got Aero glass to work on that one, but it's really, really buggy), and 4051. I'm gonna look into 4074 though.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#443 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Using the Longhorn shell does sound interesting imo (as long as we were to make it a little bit more customizable that it is out of the box, even though it did still have a lot of really cool features). Splitwirez, what would you say is the most reliable/stable build of Longhorn? I'd assume some of the earlier builds, but it seems like a lot of people love 4074. I've done some messing with an earlier 3xxx build (can't remember which one, but it did have the Plex theme), 4015, 4039 (I got Aero glass to work on that one, but it's really, really buggy), and 4051. I'm gonna look into 4074 though.
Okay, when I first read that, I was like http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... bl-1&px=-1 :lol:

Alright, moving on. I wouldn't say any builds jump out as being unusually reliable, but IMO they're all more stable than Vista RTM from my experience (except maybe 4093, that one can barely login without crashing O.o )...I'd say the most promising builds are probably 4001, 3039 (or 4042, the shells are nearly identical), and 4074 as all are relatively stable (well, 4039 not so much, but that doesn't seem to be the shell's fault), and those 3 (or 4) builds seem to cover pretty much all the interesting design ideas and features...well, pinning tiles to the bottom of the sidebar and that weird Start Menu logoff popout from 4093 could be interesting, but its explorer crashes constantly, so IDK how viable it'd be...

...but 4093 DID include a media player WITH A SIDEBAR TILE, so that might be worth investigating. I dunno, perhaps merging some of the new features from 4093 into a more stable shell from an older build would be a better solution.

BTW I should probably note that 4039 was the last build to inherently support a Classic-styled sidebar. 4042 and onward apply a Slate-mimicking look when the Classic Theme is in use, and from what I can tell, Classic Theme support may have already been on its way out by the time 4039 happened, since even then, it is a MESS...case and pineapple, the start button: Image (Not saying they were planning to remove the Classic Theme, they weren't, but the shell wasn't coded to deal with it properly past that point)

Also, if you want some other post-reset bits and pieces, I'd recommend you also look into builds 5048, 5219/5231 (or 5259 if you really need the Start Button to be an orb ._. ), some early post-reset builds with a very distinctive feel to them.

I still think it's kinda funny that we're discussing merging the most insanely over-eyecandied version of Windows ever made with the lowest-tier user experience ever present in a presently-usable version of Windows :lol:

EDIT: Also, PLEASE tell me the Longhorn shell won't be Windows 10-exclusive...or unusable without the Classic Theme... D:

bugmn
Freshman Member

#444 Post by bugmn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:08 am

This is all very cool news to hear. I'm glad to hear some progress.

Question, will the explorer from longhorn allow us to also have a classic theme? Or will it just allow us to have a classic taskbar?

Also, if we have to choose a longhorn explorer build above 4039 , would it be possible to port over the classic taskbar tray ( or is the sidebar not the tray? ) from builds 4039 and under?

Thanks, I'm just wondering. ^-^~

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#445 Post by Splitwirez » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:52 am

The Longhorn explorer won't do squat for the Classic Theme itself, but its taskbars (yes, plural) function correctly when the Classic Theme is enabled. IDK if post-reset DWM would glass 4074's new taskbar properly...since DWM was completely rewritten after the reset, with its inner workings seemingly gutted to a great extent and rebuilt from scratch. We'll just have to see...

...to clarify, all Longhorn explorers work with the Classic Theme. The problem is that builds 4042 and onward don't use Visual Styles. They get resources from somewhere else, kind of like the (<-) (->) navigation buttons on Windows 7, which look glassy no matter what theme you use, classic or styled. This means that they'll look rather out of place, though this means nothing for their functionality.

The reason I said taskbars in plural is because most Longhorn explorers provide 2 taskbars, a standard and new taskbar. Most early builds which have the new taskbar allow you to toggle it on its own, but later builds attach the setting to enable it to the sidebar toggle, which means that from build 4033 onward (possibly earlier), the new taskbar cannot be toggled independently of the sidebar, and while builds prior to 4039 which merge both settings allow the new taskbar to take on a classic look when the classic theme is enabled, builds 4042 and onward do not. This is purely a cosmetic issue, though.

As for the tray...I have no idea. We'll have to see. All I know is that the Longhorn pre-reset sidebar includes a tray tile.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#446 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:03 pm

To reply to a post, please use the postreply button on the left side under the last post.
Thank you.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#447 Post by Splitwirez » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:34 pm

...I'M SORRY D:

Geez, how many times am I going to break this forum's rules?? Reading them doesn't even seem to help... >.<

bugmn
Freshman Member

#448 Post by bugmn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:To reply to a post, please use the postreply button on the left side under the last post.
Thank you.
When is it appropriate to use quotes? I'd love to use this feature to reply to posts, but do I have to shorten the content in the quote? And how will I know how shortened a quote must be in order to be acceptable? I think that it should automatically trundcate quotes so we wouldnt have to worry. May you put that idea in to the admin for me please? I think it would help everyone greatly.

Im sorry, Ill go look up the board rules right now. Edit: I couldn't find the rule unfortunately. But I will take your word for it. I do hope that you consider my idea at least, I really do think it'd help. ^-^~

Splitwirez , thanks for clearing that up. If it was easy as using a different explorer to get the classic theme, thatd be great, but unfortunately isnt the case. At least we can get a taskbar from it. That is a good step forward for us.
Last edited by bugmn on Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#449 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:26 pm

There's no reason or need to repeat/quote the last post, because you are already replying to it!
A quote is useful for pointing out a detail from somewhere else, e.g. a few posts (or pages) back in a thread,
or for literally quoting what someone wrote in e.g. a book, or on another website.

bugmn
Freshman Member

#450 Post by bugmn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:32 pm

RealBlackStuff, thanks for your reply. I think that it should be added to your rules of the road, to help people in the future.
Ill try not to use quotes unless for the reasons youve said. I think pointing out one detail from a post is good? But its hard to do on mobile.