Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Classic theme on Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Splitwirez
Freshman Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8

#451 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 am

I still think it'd be interesting to try and supplement the Classic Theme with Aeroglass...

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#452 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 am

Better to have the option to run it and close the windows.immersiveshell process in explorer.exe i always kill it in processexplorer
Last edited by Powerplayer on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#453 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:33 am

Well yeah, of course it'd be an option :lol:

EDIT: Woops, we're forgetting to not abuse the quote button D:

zxynoxia

#454 Post by zxynoxia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I used this tool to restore the classic context menu for the taskbar.
http://www.askvg.com/tip-get-rid-of-dar ... 0-taskbar/

It will not work on the start button right click power menu and you will need to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for this to work.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#455 Post by Powerplayer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks man could you ask the guy who made this to inject a classic taskbar too? btw the flightedfeatures reg file works on windows 10 enterprise th2 Edit: If we open the dll file in reshacker we see that it uses a manifest file , what prevents us from adding back the rest of the missing stuff with this method?

Edit : Is there a guy who can inject more scripts into that dll that could restore taskbar and win x button? seems like we getting much closer now

maur0

#456 Post by maur0 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 am

Powerplayer wrote:Thanks man could you ask the guy who made this to inject a classic taskbar too? btw the flightedfeatures reg file works on windows 10 enterprise th2 Edit: If we open the dll file in reshacker we see that it uses a manifest file , what prevents us from adding back the rest of the missing stuff with this method?

Edit : Is there a guy who can inject more scripts into that dll that could restore taskbar and win x button? seems like we getting much closer now
cool

one doubt
one bug, windows icon in tray not show if runing classictheme in windows 10 only show if disable classic theme and drag to taskbar, and install classictheme again show but new icon tray not doing the same procedure for work. Any easy way to solve this without dragging stay?

molitar

#457 Post by molitar » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:56 pm

Got a problem with control panel many of the screens do not work like ease of access is there a fix? I am running Windows 10.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#458 Post by Splitwirez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 am

I've been experimenting with modifying the Win10 explorer manifest thingy to reference that old version of CommonControls instead of the new Visual Style-compliant one.

So far, I have no idea if it's working - my VM keeps self-destructing before I can finish the job or test it :C

molitar

#459 Post by molitar » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:29 am

Splitwirez wrote:I've been experimenting with modifying the Win10 explorer manifest thingy to reference that old version of CommonControls instead of the new Visual Style-compliant one.

So far, I have no idea if it's working - my VM keeps self-destructing before I can finish the job or test it :C
I been using vm also and I got the context menu to work properly once but than my control panel had blown up I hope someone figures this out so we can actually think about moving to Windows 10 but with this interface right now I will only play with it in a vm.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#460 Post by Splitwirez » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:37 am

molitar wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:I've been experimenting with modifying the Win10 explorer manifest thingy to reference that old version of CommonControls instead of the new Visual Style-compliant one.

I been using vm also and I got the context menu to work properly once but than my control panel had blown up I hope someone figures this out so we can actually think about moving to Windows 10 but with this interface right now I will only play with it in a vm.
I was actually trying to fix the taskbar as a whole ._.

Also, does anyone here know what our ultimate vision for this project is? Do we have a specific UI in mind? And if so, what is it? :OD

rn10950

#461 Post by rn10950 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Our goal is getting the UI to be as close to Windows 95/98/NT/2k as possible.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#462 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:42 am

rn10950 wrote:Our goal is getting the UI to be as close to Windows 95/98/NT/2k as possible.
Oh...I guess I just wasted 2 days making this concept image:
(click for larger version)
:/

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#463 Post by Powerplayer » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey splitwirez you got the theme mod that makes classical buttons for minimize and closse like in the pic or tell what to edit in reshacker and send the pics?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#464 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Powerplayer wrote:Hey splitwirez you got the theme mod that makes classical buttons for minimize and closse like in the pic or tell what to edit in reshacker and send the pics?
That was only a concept image.

Anixx
Freshman Member

#465 Post by Anixx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02 am

I think, something like this (it is Windows 8.1 actually):

adamantine

#466 Post by adamantine » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:37 am

rn10950 wrote:Our goal is getting the UI to be as close to Windows 95/98/NT/2k as possible
i totally agree

there are 2 main problems in win-vista-service-pack-9 (aka win-10) for me:

1) absolutely ugly and really not usable win-explorer (unlike its version from xp which has plenty of disadvantages but it is at least possible to use it constantly and effectively, especially with some good add-ons and programs like: shell toys 7.3, pitaschio 2.26, better file rename 5.7, better file select 2.1.2, path copy copy, free name 0.1, path length 1.5, actual window manager 7.0, wiz mouse 1.7.0.3, x-mouse, cenvorox file monitor 3.2.4, bx new folder 1.0, folders maker 2.1, clcl 1.1.2, keyboard maniac 4.28, comfort keys 5.0.4, everything 1.4.0.703, taskbar master 1.0.13, volumouse 2.0, screenshot captor)

2) primitive, disgusting and completely not normal task-bar (where it is much less convenient to see which window is active and which is not) with those idiotic thin lines inside every button

it is a true dream to have win-explorer and task-bar look and behave like in win-2000/xp

i have been trying to customize (as much as i can) win-10-enterprise-ltsb-64bit-british for more than a week (in vmware-player 6)
there are some almost complete successes (like start menu, desktop background)
(later i will have the possibility to upload several screen-shots in case somebody is interested. simultaneously i will have some questions like this which is related to vertical task-bar:
how to align my small buttons to centre on my toolbar? because now they are susbstantially shifted to the left)

but win-explorer, task-bar and the way any window is displayed (including 3 title buttons) - all these problems prevents me from considering win-10 a normal OS

and speaking generally, at this moment i see no signs/reasons for switching from xp-sp2-pro-32bit at all
especially knowing the fact that i use huge hdd's in xp sans any problems since march-2012 - my system hdd has 4 TB, all other hdd's are more than 2,5 TB each

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#467 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:42 am

Personally, I think we shouldn't simply be aiming to create the most accurate, thorough, in-depth transformation pack ever. I think we should be aiming to do better. No Windows UI has ever been perfect. I feel that we should take the best bits of them all, put those together, then improve it further. But before we do that, we'll likely need to agree on what "the best bits" are...

EDIT: Also, if we need people who can actually do stuff, I feel like YouTube and/or DeviantArt callouts would be a good idea. I have both, and I occasionally upload Windows-related stuff to my YouTube, more of it goes to DeviantArt...does anyone else here have a YouTube channel or DeviantArt gallery they actually upload stuff to for public viewing, or know someone who does? I can make a callout video and a DeviantArt callout poster thing, I just think it'd be a good idea to upload such a thing to all the channels available to us - you never know where you might find the right people for the job :V

Anixx
Freshman Member

#468 Post by Anixx » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 pm

I think we should be aiming to do better. No Windows UI has ever been perfect.
Idisagree. Windows 2000 was totally OK.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#469 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Anixx wrote:
I think we should be aiming to do better. No Windows UI has ever been perfect.
I disagree. Windows 2000 was totally OK.
I'm not going to say that you're wrong. I do, however, feel that the Superbar and Aero Snap are two features introduced in Windows 7 that I probably couldn't live without.

My thoughts? We make everything optional.

Oh, and
Splitwirez wrote:if we need people who can actually do stuff, I feel like YouTube and/or DeviantArt callouts would be a good idea. I have both, and I occasionally upload Windows-related stuff to my YouTube, more of it goes to DeviantArt...does anyone else here have a YouTube channel or DeviantArt gallery they actually upload stuff to for public viewing, or know someone who does? I can make a callout video and a DeviantArt callout poster thing, I just think it'd be a good idea to upload such a thing to all the channels available to us - you never know where you might find the right people for the job :V

adamantine

#470 Post by adamantine » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Splitwirez wrote:we'll likely need to agree on what "the best bits" are
several posts above Anixx provided a screen-shot. in my opinion, it is thoroughly better than what we have in the default win-10

and i would really like to know if it is possible to implement that design into win-10. personally, i'm ready to do it in case a detailed explanation on how to achive this appears

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#471 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:45 pm

adamantine wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:we'll likely need to agree on what "the best bits" are
several posts above Anixx provided a screen-shot. in my opinion, it is thoroughly better than what we have in the default win-10

and i would really like to know if it is possible to implement that design into win-10. personally, i'm ready to do it in case a detailed explanation on how to achive this appears
The only obvious difference I can actually understand is the Taskbar. Everything else looks normal, except those Explorer Windows (that's explorer, correct?), which I can see are different (if they are Explorer Windows, that is), but I don't really understand what's there...likely due to language ._.

EDIT: BTW here's something for anyone here who prefers Google Chrome: http://www.askvg.com/tip-add-an-option- ... le-chrome/

It's still weird, but it's more usable than the alternative P:

MOAR EDIT: Also, a login screen concept:
(Click for larger version)

EVEN MOAR EDIT: Currently downloading Windows 10 build 9879, which I believe was the last build to feature the old, skinnable taskbar. Fingers crossed that still includes Classic Theme compliance. It was a fight to find working links, so if anyone else wants the build, you can get both x86 and x64 versions here: http://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-buil ... so-images/

I'll link to just the explorer (and any dependancies) if I can download either ISO through this crappy network connection ._.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#472 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Splitwirez wrote: MOAR EDIT: Also, a login screen concept:
you have to find a way include the msgina.dll file and all its registry entries from xp then port it over or create a similar msgina with its own installer

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#473 Post by Splitwirez » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
Splitwirez wrote: MOAR EDIT: Also, a login screen concept:
you have to find a way include the msgina.dll file and all its registry entries from xp then port it over or create a similar msgina with its own installer
I think I've figured out how to modify DLL dependencies, so...wait, registry entries?? Ugh...

molitar

#474 Post by molitar » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Wish someone figure out the context menu bug. I was all set to use Windows 10 until I found my context menu's were totally broken. I also noticed some of the control panels were broke also.. definitely not ready for Windows 10 yet.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#475 Post by Powerplayer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Splitwirez wrote:
Powerplayer wrote: so...wait, registry entries?? Ugh...

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/972/ yes to tell the pc that you are not using welcome screen no idea if it will work if u have x86 and 64 bit version of msgina.dll from windows xp but maybe it is worth to try out

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#476 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:19 am

Splitwirez, I completely agree that the best thing to do for this project would be to take the best parts of every Windows UI and allow everything to be optional. So if you wanted to use a UI that was completely accurate to Windows 2000 or XP, you could. If you wanted to use a mixture of a modern and a classic UI, that should be completely doable. Just as long as everything could be configured to the user's liking.

Anyways, I love that concept art, especially the classic login screen. That's something I've wanted to implement into modern versions of Windows for quite a while now, and I have actually done a lot of research/experimenting on that topic, so I do have a bit of info.

The GINA architecture seen in Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP is no longer present in Windows Vista and newer at all. As such, it is impossible to simply change a registry key, or even to port an msgina.dll file to modern versions of Windows. Winlogon.exe simply doesn't contain the code to load a GINA interface anymore. The interface for the modern login screen can now only be handled by LogonUI.exe, which will load an interface from authui.dll.

A classic login interface is something I've wanted to create for a very long time now, so I have done a lot of thinking about it, and here's what I think the best way to go about it would be:
Since the login screen interface is handled by LogonUI.exe, I think the best thing to do would be to create our own replacement LogonUI.exe file. But rather than just focusing on creating a LogonUI.exe file that will load a classic login interface, we should instead let the user choose the interface they want. So they could make their login screen look like the classic Windows 2000 login window, a Windows XP welcome screen interface, a Vista/7/8/10 style login screen, or even a Mac OS X style login screen. Whatever the user wants. And we should allow users to create their own interface if they'd like.

My idea is to create a LogonUI.exe file that will check the registry for a DLL file to load an interface from. If there is nothing specified in the registry, or if the registry key points to an invalid/non-existent DLL file, it will simply load the classic login interface (which would be the fallback/default). Users would be allowed to create their own interface DLL to use custom interfaces. Really, we wouldn't be changing HOW the users log on, but instead how it looks.

TL/DR: I'd much rather see a login screen interface that was fully customizable rather than a login screen interface that JUST loaded the classic login screen interface.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#477 Post by Splitwirez » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:28 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:Splitwirez, I completely agree that the best thing to do for this project would be to take the best parts of every Windows UI and allow everything to be optional. So if you wanted to use a UI that was completely accurate to Windows 2000 or XP, you could. If you wanted to use a mixture of a modern and a classic UI, that should be completely doable. Just as long as everything could be configured to the user's liking.
FINALLY, someone here who puts practicality ahead of nostalgia :lol:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:Anyways, I love that concept art, especially the classic login screen. That's something I've wanted to implement into modern versions of Windows for quite a while now, and I have actually done a lot of research/experimenting on that topic, so I do have a bit of info.
Alright, good to hear. Not sure if you noticed, but I did add a hint of transparency to the title bars in that login concept, playing off the "Glassic" effect I mentioned a few pages back...just a thought, IDeK if that's possible given how low-level the classic theme operates at ._.
windows.nt.win32 wrote:The GINA architecture seen in Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP is no longer present in Windows Vista and newer at all. As such, it is impossible to simply change a registry key, or even to port an msgina.dll file to modern versions of Windows. Winlogon.exe simply doesn't contain the code to load a GINA interface anymore. The interface for the modern login screen can now only be handled by LogonUI.exe, which will load an interface from authui.dll.
...darn. So I take it we can't exactly port the entire winlogon arrangement from XP (or some pre-reset Longhorn build :wink: ) and start working from there? If not, then is loading a GINA DLL under the name authui.dll an option? .____.
windows.nt.win32 wrote:A classic login interface is something I've wanted to create for a very long time now, so I have done a lot of thinking about it, and here's what I think the best way to go about it would be:
Since the login screen interface is handled by LogonUI.exe, I think the best thing to do would be to create our own replacement LogonUI.exe file. But rather than just focusing on creating a LogonUI.exe file that will load a classic login interface, we should instead let the user choose the interface they want. So they could make their login screen look like the classic Windows 2000 login window, a Windows XP welcome screen interface, a Vista/7/8/10 style login screen, or even a Mac OS X style login screen. Whatever the user wants. And we should allow users to create their own interface if they'd like.
OH MY GOD SO MUCH YES

WHERE ARE THE LONGHORN PRESETS?? :lol:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:My idea is to create a LogonUI.exe file that will check the registry for a DLL file to load an interface from. If there is nothing specified in the registry, or if the registry key points to an invalid/non-existent DLL file, it will simply load the classic login interface (which would be the fallback/default). Users would be allowed to create their own interface DLL to use custom interfaces. Really, we wouldn't be changing HOW the users log on, but instead how it looks.
#WinlogonBlinds :lol:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:TL/DR: I'd much rather see a login screen interface that was fully customizable rather than a login screen interface that JUST loaded the classic login screen interface.
>Customizable
So...are we going to do that for the rest of the explorer/shell, too? :V

TBH I feel like all of this customization power is kinda pointless if there's no way to spray a Visual Style across it...\

...think about it this way: This could go beyond the Classic Theme. This could be a complete shell overhaul, configurable like never before. A DREAM-COME-TRUE FOR VISUAL STYLE ARTISTS. There'd probably be outrage if it didn't support Visual Styles too :lol:

...Sorry, inner Visual Style artist got a bit too excited over this. I guess I'm a traitor at heart...feel free to sacrifice me to [INSERT CLASSIC THEME GOD/DEITY HERE] ;^;
Splitwirez wrote:EDIT: Also, if we need people who can actually do stuff, I feel like YouTube and/or DeviantArt callouts would be a good idea. I have both, and I occasionally upload Windows-related stuff to my YouTube, more of it goes to DeviantArt...does anyone else here have a YouTube channel or DeviantArt gallery they actually upload stuff to for public viewing, or know someone who does? I can make a callout video and a DeviantArt callout poster thing, I just think it'd be a good idea to upload such a thing to all the channels available to us - you never know where you might find the right people for the job :V

bugmn
Freshman Member

#478 Post by bugmn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Splitwirez, I agree on the customizability. The log in screen idea is pretty cool too, if we could do a custom log in, users could share their results that they made & the such & load them.

On your idea about including traditional and new areo features, I support this. However, options you could tick, and additoonal context menus may also have to be possible for users that dont want certain features.

For me, most of the time aero snap is very useful. I can compare two images without doing any editing, and snap them easily one beside the other.

However, there are times when aero snap isn't useful. If say I want two images below and above instead of side by side, trying to drag a window to the top of the screen invokes aero snap..which I dont want. I just want one window either on top of the screen, or even at the top , but off-screen so that my images fit on the screen when looking at them.

I couldnt get the 'move' function to work properly when right clicking the title bar. Maybe if we can improve on this. I'll try seeing if pressing 'enter' when moving a window under windows 10 will allow the window to move anywhere. Using the arrow keys , then clicking my mouse didn't seem to do it..the mouse just moved with the window.
Last edited by bugmn on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#479 Post by Splitwirez » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:22 pm

bugmn wrote:Splitwirez, I agree on the customizability. The log in screen idea is pretty cool too, if we could do a custom log in, users could share their results that they made & the such.
Yeah, I figured it was kind of implied that these...compositions? Arrangements? Should be able to be saved and shared, perhaps even called along with a theme or colour scheme... :lol:
bugmn wrote:On your idea about including traditional and new areo features, I support this. However, options you could tick, and additoonal context menus may also have to be possible, foe users that dont want it.
Yes
bugmn wrote:options
YES
bugmn wrote:options
SO MUCH YES :lol:
bugmn wrote:For me, most of the time aero snap is very useful. I can compare two images without doing any editing, and snap them easily one beside the other.
Mmhmm...Lack of aerosnap, otherwise known as the one reason I haven't looked into upgrading to Windows Vista or something :lol:

bugmn
Freshman Member

#480 Post by bugmn » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Splitwirez, I'm sorry that I was slow to make my reply complete, as I'm on Android and it's buggy xD I've added more information, and it's complete now ^-^~