Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Classic theme on Windows 8

Windows 8 on ThinkPads
Splitwirez
Freshman Member

Re: Classic theme on Windows 8

#541 Post by Splitwirez » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Bakuchris wrote:I got vistart running on my computer, but when I click on the button nothing happens when I run the vista explorer on Windows 10. Also the button keeps going on weird places on the start menu.

Startmenu X seems to work, I tested it, but you need to start the start menu from the system tray or from a button you can add,
Oh...never head of that one .-.

Also I just realized that we never tried running Classic Shell 3.6.8's ClassicStartMenu.exe in Windows Vista compatibility mode .__.

Bakuchris

#542 Post by Bakuchris » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:44 am

Augh, my copy of Windows 10 broke when I uninstalled the classic theme, first time this happened to me. I will need to reinstall it again.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#543 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 am

Bakuchris wrote:Augh, my copy of Windows 10 broke when I uninstalled the classic theme, first time this happened to me. I will need to reinstall it again.
Honestly, I'm impressed it lasted that long. Most of the time it splits clean in half before I even get that far >.<

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#544 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Sorry for the double post...does anyone remember this concept image?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#545 Post by Splitwirez » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:58 pm

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
(No really. Take it. I've been working on it almost all day. Still WIP, needs more work than has already been put into it, doesn't really help with much beyond the cosmetic taskbar inconsistency ._. )

bugmn
Freshman Member

#546 Post by bugmn » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:15 pm

Splitwirez wrote:
windows.nt.win32 wrote:Can't you just add an exclusion in the Windows Defender settings?
Apparently not...I can't even download the installer in order to do so. It isn't just blocking it, it wipes it on download completion T__T
I remember being able to disable or uninstall Windows updates including Windows defender I think in Windows 7. I'm not sure how it is in Windows 8/10 though.

Edit: Apparently gpedit.msc can allow you to do this. Home editions don't have group policy, but you can enable it too. There's also a registry file you can use to disable windows defender for Windows 10 as well.

For Windows 8, you can do it within the control panel.

For both OS's installing another antivirus can disable Windows defender too.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#547 Post by Powerplayer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Splitwirez wrote:It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
(No really. Take it. I've been working on it almost all day. Still WIP, needs more work than has already been put into it, doesn't really help with much beyond the cosmetic taskbar inconsistency ._. )
It does not work with classictheme it does only work in themed mode

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#548 Post by Splitwirez » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
It does not work with classictheme it does only work in themed mode
Oh geez, really? Oh, the backwardsness :lol:

I'll look into that .-.

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#549 Post by Powerplayer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:55 am

Splitwirez wrote: I'll look into that .-.
ok tell me when it loads up on classictheme i did want to switch to classic theme fully long time ago

Anixx
Freshman Member

#550 Post by Anixx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:09 am

One can load the taskbar in themed mode and then disable themes by running w8classic or using handle utility. The taskbar will remain themed while everything elese will not.

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#551 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:11 pm

Anixx wrote:One can load the taskbar in themed mode and then disable themes by running w8classic or using handle utility. The taskbar will remain themed while everything elese will not.
Yeah, but the Classic Tenbar utility still doesn't work properly unless themes are enabled. When using the classic theme, it just seems to create a bar above the actual taskbar (at least that's how I've experienced it).

Anixx
Freshman Member

#552 Post by Anixx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:19 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:
Anixx wrote:One can load the taskbar in themed mode and then disable themes by running w8classic or using handle utility. The taskbar will remain themed while everything elese will not.
Yeah, but the Classic Tenbar utility still doesn't work properly unless themes are enabled. When using the classic theme, it just seems to create a bar above the actual taskbar (at least that's how I've experienced it).
One can wait for Classic AE to be ported to W10.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#553 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 pm

windows.nt.win32, can I get a screenshot of that?

Annix, the taskbar buttons still won't be skinned. Also, not sure if you noticed, but Classic AE, in spite of being amazingly accurate, just doesn't have that same feel as the real Classic Theme :/

Anixx
Freshman Member

#554 Post by Anixx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:23 pm

I meant that one can use Classic AE for the taskbar only,

and then switch classic theme on for other applications. Still if the taskbar theming is on (with Classic AE or another theme), there will be no subpixel hinting of the taskbar fonts. Anyway, Classic AE is not yet available for Windows 10.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#555 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Anixx wrote:I meant that one can use Classic AE for the taskbar only,

and then switch classic theme on for other applications. Still if the taskbar theming is on (with Classic AE or another theme), there will be no subpixel hinting of the taskbar fonts. Anyway, Classic AE is not yet available for Windows 10.
Umm...I guess you missed the announcement? About how Windows 10's taskbar is can't be modified via Visual Styles? That's the whole reason it doesn't retain its prior Classic theme compliance ._.

Anixx
Freshman Member

#556 Post by Anixx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:08 pm

So they hardcoded the theme into the taskbar? Microsoft continues degradation...

Anixx
Freshman Member

#557 Post by Anixx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 pm

How do they theme it then?

http://www.intowindows.com/windows-xp-t ... indows-10/

...Well, this is seemingly only for pre-release build.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#558 Post by Splitwirez » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Anixx wrote:So they hardcoded the theme into the taskbar? Microsoft continues degradation...
Indeed ._.
Anixx wrote:How do they theme it then?

http://www.intowindows.com/windows-xp-t ... indows-10/

...Well, this is seemingly only for pre-release build.
Yeah, that's the thing - there were a number of preview builds released prior to the removal of the Taskbar's Visual Style compliance :/

Bakuchris

#559 Post by Bakuchris » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:49 am

Whats sad is that you cannot run the old versions of Windows 10 beta without changing your date as they have a certificate in each build and know when they have expired.

P.S. when I run the Vista explorer I get the old balloons in the system tray compared to Windows 10's big boxes that tell you things.

Anixx
Freshman Member

#560 Post by Anixx » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:37 am

Bakuchris wrote:Whats sad is that you cannot run the old versions of Windows 10 beta without changing your date as they have a certificate in each build and know when they have expired.
It is called time bomb and can be removed, but what's the point of running W10beta? I see no purpose at all.
P.S. when I run the Vista explorer I get the old balloons in the system tray compared to Windows 10's big boxes that tell you things.
One can also try the explorer from W10beta. If it complains about the date, one can use runasdate utility http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html

P.S. Sorry, this may be useless info if the expiration is based on certificates.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#561 Post by Splitwirez » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:45 am

Bakuchris wrote:Whats sad is that you cannot run the old versions of Windows 10 beta without changing your date as they have a certificate in each build and know when they have expired.
Some anti-piracy tools can fix that... ._.
Bakuchris wrote:P.S. when I run the Vista explorer I get the old balloons in the system tray compared to Windows 10's big boxes that tell you things.
Really? Great, now we can be free of the new blackbox notifications :U
Anixx wrote:One can also try the explorer from W10beta. If it complains about the date, one can use runasdate utility http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html

P.S. Sorry, this may be useless info if the expiration is based on certificates.
OH MY GOD THANK YOU

------------------------------------------------------------
Splitwirez wrote:Sorry for the double post...does anyone remember this concept image?
Anyone? .-.

------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and just so you folks know, I'm planning to try to create some new icons based on the Windows 95 icon style :3

Bakuchris

#562 Post by Bakuchris » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:34 am

Even without a start menu and desktop, Windows 10 sure looks good with the classic theme.

Check out the picture bellow I uploaded
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqdy6314zy0u7 ... 9.png?dl=0

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#563 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Styler Toolbar works on Internet Explorer on Windows 8, and likely 10 as well. Anyone have any ideas in terms of file explorer? (I think the issue may actually be the Styler configuration panel, and not file explorer itself, as Styler also provides an interface for installing unsigned Visual Styles...on Windows XP. God knows how different 8 or 10 are in that regard.)

Powerplayer
Freshman Member

#564 Post by Powerplayer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Bakuchris wrote:Even without a start menu and desktop, Windows 10 sure looks good with the classic theme.

How on earth did you get taskbar working on 10?

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#565 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Powerplayer wrote:
Bakuchris wrote:Even without a start menu and desktop, Windows 10 sure looks good with the classic theme.

How on earth did you get taskbar working on 10?
Looks like Windows Vista's explorer to me...

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#566 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Splitwirez wrote:Sorry for the double post...does anyone remember this concept image?
http://i.imgur.com/cTZ5SK6.png
Looks like a good blend of a modern and classic UI. It would be perfect for those who would like to use the classic theme, but still want a Windows 8-esque interface.
Splitwirez wrote:Oh, and just so you folks know, I'm planning to try to create some new icons based on the Windows 95 icon style :3
Cool, can't wait to see how that turns out.

So anyway, is there any information on porting Vista's explorer.exe to Windows 10? I'm still not sure about using an older version of explorer, but maybe it could work. At the very least, it would be a good temporary solution.

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#567 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:16 pm

windows.nt.win32 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/cTZ5SK6.png
Looks like a good blend of a modern and classic UI. It would be perfect for those who would like to use the classic theme, but still want a Windows 8-esque interface.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Also why is the classic theme's maximize/restore button one pixel too far to the right? ._.
windows.nt.win32 wrote:
Splitwirez wrote:Oh, and just so you folks know, I'm planning to try to create some new icons based on the Windows 95 icon style :3
Cool, can't wait to see how that turns out.
:OD
windows.nt.win32 wrote:So anyway, is there any information on porting Vista's explorer.exe to Windows 10? I'm still not sure about using an older version of explorer, but maybe it could work. At the very least, it would be a good temporary solution.
Vista's Explorer does the taskbar perfectly fine. Tray works too. Start Menu is kill, though, as is the right-click menu (sort of?).

Splitwirez
Freshman Member

#568 Post by Splitwirez » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Am I doing it right? :V

Bakuchris

#569 Post by Bakuchris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:31 am

I have learned my lesson, I just broke another Windows 10 installation with classic theme, blue screens and everything. Augh...

windows.nt.win32
Sophomore Member

#570 Post by windows.nt.win32 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:58 am

Splitwirez wrote:Image
Am I doing it right? :V
That... looks awesome. I love it!

Edit:
Here's a more 'accurate' version in the standard Windows 16 colors. It doesn't look as nice as Splitwirez's original version, but it does have a more authentic Win95 feel:

So if this many people are having issues with classictheme.exe, we should really start looking into what's going wrong. I mean now we've got a report of BSODs? Wow.