Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T60 and Windows 10

Windows 1x on Thinkpads
djones18

T60 and Windows 10

#1 Post by djones18 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm

As an experiment I just loaded Windows 10 on my T60 which breathes new life into it. I've had it packed away with it's docking station and accessories in a closet for a couple years intending to sell or give to charity.

I had an unused copy of Windows 8 purchased a couple years ago when you could get them for $13.00. I did clean install of Windows 8 over Windows XP. Then did free upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 operates fine with no problems. Interestingly part of the Windows 10 download included Lenovo UltraNav, Lenovo PowerManager and a program called Lenovo Companion which I haven't activated yet. This appears to be a Lenovo Solutions type program or similar. I'm not sure I want to activate it and deal again potential bloatware. These Lenovo add-ons came directly from Microsoft during the Windows 10 install process.

Anyway, I'm now experimenting with Windows 10 on the T60 before loading it on to my newer W520 workhorse and X230 machines. So far, I'm impressed. All ports and devices which worked with Windows XP seem to be working in Windows 10.
W520 4270-CTO, 15.6"HD+ i7-2720QM, 32GB@1333MHz, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD, Quadro 1000M, Panasonic UJ240 BD Ultrabay, Mini-dock Series 3, Win7 64

hengster

Re: T60 and Windows 10

#2 Post by hengster » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:44 am

djones18 wrote:As an experiment I just loaded Windows 10 on my T60 which breathes new life into it. I've had it packed away with it's docking station and accessories in a closet for a couple years intending to sell or give to charity.

I had an unused copy of Windows 8 purchased a couple years ago when you could get them for $13.00. I did clean install of Windows 8 over Windows XP. Then did free upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 operates fine with no problems. Interestingly part of the Windows 10 download included Lenovo UltraNav, Lenovo PowerManager and a program called Lenovo Companion which I haven't activated yet. This appears to be a Lenovo Solutions type program or similar. I'm not sure I want to activate it and deal again potential bloatware. These Lenovo add-ons came directly from Microsoft during the Windows 10 install process.

Anyway, I'm now experimenting with Windows 10 on the T60 before loading it on to my newer W520 workhorse and X230 machines. So far, I'm impressed. All ports and devices which worked with Windows XP seem to be working in Windows 10.
good job! i did the same with my T60 purchased in 2006 (still says IBM ThinkPad on it). had to change the hard disk to a bigger one for my cousin to use and upgraded ram to 4GB (3GB usable), the T60 pretty much survived the past 9 years, and seemed like a new machine with Windows 10 32-bit installed (64-bit not possible due to motherboard limitations).

you can feel free to install Windows 10 (Build 10586) into your W520 and X230, just be ready with some drivers which Windows 10 does not automatically download. those would be the drivers for card readers (Base Device), Intel AMT (PCI Serial Port), among others. you can find those easily on Lenovo website, so you should be fine.

the only difference which i did was fresh/clean installation of Windows 10, not upgraded from Windows 7. better to start totally fresh than having some legacy files causing a problem in the future for me, but that's up to you. since you have upgraded before, your machine is already tagged with the activation of Windows 10, and you can freely do clean installations in the future if required.
My Thinking Pads
Think: Lenovo ThinkPad X13G3, 2560x1600 IPS, R7 6850U, 32GB
Drink: Lenovo ThinkPad X1C5G, 1920x1080 IPS, i7-7500U, 16GB
Blink: Lenovo ThinkPad X230, 1366x768 IPS, i7-3520M, 8GB
Gone: T60-X61-X200s-X201s-X220-T420-T420s-T430s-X240-X1C3G-X250-T450s-X260-T460s-X1N1G

Muse

#3 Post by Muse » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:37 am

djones18 wrote:As an experiment I just loaded Windows 10 on my T60 which breathes new life into it. I've had it packed away with it's docking station and accessories in a closet for a couple years intending to sell or give to charity.

What graphics and CPU do you have in that T60? Mine has a T5500 and Intel GMA950 built in graphics. I haven't tried to install Win10 yet, but I'm preparing to do so, hopefully within a few days. Don't have any drivers downloaded, this thread suggests that maybe I don't need to. Anyway, I have the current Win7 installation imaged to external HD in case Win10 doesn't work out.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!

ukrconsul02kq

#4 Post by ukrconsul02kq » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:40 pm

t60 2623a24 ati x1400 ssd transsend 128 gb 3gb RAM n wifi card- win10x32 working fine. new life for old thinkpad.

Muse

#5 Post by Muse » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Muse wrote:
What graphics and CPU do you have in that T60? Mine has a T5500 and Intel GMA950 built in graphics, 1953CTO. I haven't tried to install Win10 yet, but I'm preparing to do so, hopefully within a few days. Don't have any drivers downloaded, this thread suggests that maybe I don't need to. Anyway, I have the current Win7 installation imaged to external HD in case Win10 doesn't work out.
My upgrade to Windows 10 on the machine quoted here was quite a success, I must say. I'd been plagued with up to 5 minute delays practically every day, sometimes multiple times/day on the machine when it was running Windows 7 on the installed Intel 330 180GB SSD. I think the issue was partly with the particular SSD with it's notorious Sandforce controller. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from download to bootable media and the delays immediately disappeared completely. I can think of no major issues the machine is having running 32bit Windows 10. Wished I'd done the upgrade sooner. A poster in these forums had told me that he had the exact same hardware and delay issues as I did running Windows 7 and that his delays went away when he went to Windows 10. Took me a while to try it myself, so glad I did. I think I'm going to install Windows 10 on my other T60 pretty soon. I'll see if I can make a trial installation first.
"If a star were a grain of salt, you could fit all the stars visible to the naked eye on a teaspoon, but all the stars in the universe would fill a ball eight miles wide." - A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow

Dec. 2010: Now thought to be over 11 miles wide!